Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Miami sux

good news is, they have a million draft picks current picks this year

1st: #5, #18, #26
2nd: #39,#56
3rd: #70

If. they nail all of these picks, they could have up to 6 young players that could be starters within a year or two.

if rebuilding this team, how would YOU do it?

move to london.

13 hours ago, Ray_T said:

good news is, they have a million draft picks current picks this year

1st: #5, #18, #26
2nd: #39,#56
3rd: #70

If. they nail all of these picks, they could have up to 6 young players that could be starters within a year or two.

if rebuilding this team, how would YOU do it?

One other thing to keep in mind as well is that the Dolphins also have a 1st and 2nd coming to them from Houston in 2021.  Between this year and next year, they'll have 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

One other thing to keep in mind as well is that the Dolphins also have a 1st and 2nd coming to them from Houston in 2021.  Between this year and next year, they'll have 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks.

Yes, I was going to mention this as well, but didnt have the time to do the research on next year's draft.

anyhow, how I would rebuild is like this:

1) In round 1 I'd likely grab a QB and two impact Tackles for the O line.   another alternative is to grab one tackle and a WR if a good one drops to them.

2) In round 2 I'd grab a top prospect at Guard or Centre.  Most of the top propsects at this position can be had in round 2

with the other 2nd round pick and the third, I'd grab the best available player who looks like they could potentially be a starter down the road. (any position)   I am not opposed to using them all on the O line or D line  some of these positions you can fill with second and third round guys who can start by year end.

As you are going to have a lot of new talent on the O line, I'd sign an experienced vet of high character to play on that line and show these kids what  its like to be a pro.   It will probably take a full year to get that line up to speed, but with the talent and leadership (assuming the FA signing is successful) This team can get it done.

The reason I am going all offense in year 1 is because I have found top defensive players usually make an impact immediately(especially pass rushers).   In this type of rebuild, they likely need a high draft pick next year, so grabbing O line guys and a WR who will take at least a half season and maybe a full season to learn the pro game and come around.   A QB (assuming they select one with their top pick) can afford to sit for most of the rookie year.   no point ruining your prospect by putting him in until that line proves it can give him time to throw.

In year 2 I'd grab the best 2 pass rushers on the board.  I'd consider grabbing a RB but at this point the Defense likely needs more attention.   Perhaps a DT and a DE.    A good line can cover up flaws in other areas on the team, and this would be no exception.

2nd round pick could be another WR.  by this point your rookie QB is likely playing, so you need to give him some weapons.  with the other Second round pick I'd likely get another defender. 

23 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Yes, I was going to mention this as well, but didnt have the time to do the research on next year's draft.

To me, this is the main reason why I'd pass on a QB (pun intended), this year.  I haven't delved too deep into the draft situation yet, but I'm currently of the mindset that Burrow is the only franchise QB in this draft.  If I'm the Dolphins, I'm re-signing Fitzpatrick (or Dalton), and keeping Rosen for another year.  I'm going to fill holes I need and possibly trade down when prudent and maybe add another 1 and 2 next year so that I can get Trevor Lawrence at #1 regardless of price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

To me, this is the main reason why I'd pass on a QB (pun intended), this year.  I haven't delved too deep into the draft situation yet, but I'm currently of the mindset that Burrow is the only franchise QB in this draft.  If I'm the Dolphins, I'm re-signing Fitzpatrick (or Dalton), and keeping Rosen for another year.  I'm going to fill holes I need and possibly trade down when prudent and maybe add another 1 and 2 next year so that I can get Trevor Lawrence at #1 regardless of price.

This is a legit option.  maybe even the better option

I just dont know if public pressure may force them to do what every team does and draft a QB.

They could easily use that top 5 pick to draft a difference maker on defense, or use all three first round picks to stack the rest of the offense.

They could easily grab a WR, and two OT in round 1 and a guard or centre in round 2, sign a good solid vet to anchor and mentor the youngsters and the line wont be a concern for a long time. (hopefully) the other second round pick could be used on a RB if a decent one falls into round 2.

then grab a QB in next year's draft.

Although I do think Dalton behind a decent O line might be good enough.  he put up great numbers until that line went to crap.   Tannehill was in the same situation in Miami when he left.  bad O line.  moved to Tenessee(where the line is good)  and bingo! suddenly hes a good QB again.    what a surprise!

it is most definitely possible this could be the case.   So by doing it this way, next years draft could totally focus on the defensive side of the ball.    and if Dalton doesnt pan out, they draft a QB next year.