Sign in to follow this  
joneo

MLB will be ROONED if they do this! REALITY SHOW?!?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-mlb-considering-expanded-playoffs-letting-teams-choose-opponents-on-reality-tv-show/ar-BBZRoz0?li=BBnba9I

It may only be in the early stages of discussion, but Major League Baseball is considering adding more teams to the playoffs, and doing it with a reality-show twist. 

The New York Post is reports MLB is looking into adding two wild-card teams in each league to the postseason -- and giving the team with the league's best overall record a bye into the Division Series. It would start in 2022.

But here's where things could get really interesting: According to the Post, the division winners with the second-best record in each league would get to pick their opponent from among the three wild-card teams. In addition, the division winners and the wild-card team with the best remaining record would host all three games in the opening round's best-of-three series.

So where's the reality-TV part? The selection process would take place the Sunday night the regular season ends, with representatives of all playoff teams gathered together for a "Selection Sunday" type show.  🤬

I saw this yesterday...  A stupid, stupid idea from Manfred, but at least he is consistent with stupid ideas...

Maybe just a ploy to get people talking about them? When baseball added the second wild card team, it made sense. Baseball and football wanting to add more playoff teams is such a bad idea at this point. Basketball is a joke of a playoff system. Half the league? Hockey is like that too, but at least there is usually good hockey, and lower seeds actually do stand a chance. 

MLB should add two teams, move to an NFL type divisional alignment and playoff structure, and make the WC round best of 3.

Stupid idea. I’ll watch it though. And so will you. 

32 minutes ago, MDC said:

MLB should add two teams, move to an NFL type divisional alignment and playoff structure, and make the WC round best of 3.

I am all for this...  As long as they get rid on interleague play and then the DH as well...

7 minutes ago, posty said:

I am all for this...  As long as they get rid on interleague play and then the DH as well...

I wouldn’t mind limited inter league play, like one 4-game series vs. a regional rival per year. There is way too much of it now.

I don’t like the DH but it’s not going anywhere. I’m just glad the NL hadn’t adopted it yet.

Portland and Charlotte seem like good cities for expansion.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

I wouldn’t mind limited inter league play, like one 4-game series vs. a regional rival per year. There is way too much of it now.

I don’t like the DH but it’s not going anywhere. I’m just glad the NL hadn’t adopted it yet.

:first:

48 minutes ago, posty said:

:first:

I’d also love to see the divisions realigned geographically. Depending on where you place expansion franchises and your willingness to move a few teams to a different league this could work out great.

For example the NL Midatlantic Division: Phillies, Orioles, Nationals, Charlotte / Raleigh (expansion team). 

Who says no?

12 hours ago, MDC said:

Portland and Montreal seem like the 2 cities at the top.  Portland chased away its minor league baseball team as it works on building a MLB park.  Plans are being laid out by corporate interests for a new MLB stadium in Montreal as well and Montreal is a baseball town.  Nashville seems to be in third place, as its a growing city and Tony La Russa is touting it for MLB.  But they just built a AAA ballpark in 2015 and there are no plans for a MLB stadium at all.  Some tout Charlotte but they just built a AAA park in 2014.

Usually when wagering on these sorts of things, the ballpark situation is a big clue.  If Charlotte was serious about getting into MLB, its very likely they don't build that AAA park.  Same for Nashville.

5 hours ago, riversco said:

Portland and Montreal seem like the 2 cities at the top.  Portland chased away its minor league baseball team as it works on building a MLB park.  Plans are being laid out by corporate interests for a new MLB stadium in Montreal as well and Montreal is a baseball town.  Nashville seems to be in third place, as its a growing city and Tony La Russa is touting it for MLB.  But they just built a AAA ballpark in 2015 and there are no plans for a MLB stadium at all.  Some tout Charlotte but they just built a AAA park in 2014.

Usually when wagering on these sorts of things, the ballpark situation is a big clue.  If Charlotte was serious about getting into MLB, its very likely they don't build that AAA park.  Same for Nashville.

I'm from Nashville. No way that city supports an MLB team. Baseball isn't very popular, and the city, while growing, is still pretty small. Selling 81 games a year package isn't gonna fly there. Especially since it's hot as balls during much of baseball season. 

5 hours ago, riversco said:

Portland is a lock because of the ownership group and MLB needs to add another West Coast team. 

I read that about Charlotte and Nashville. Seems like the Carolinas should be able to make it work either in Charlotte or Raleigh Durham.:dunno: 

* Inner league play is cool and fine - leave it alone.

* This proposed playoff system is stupid as fock.

12 hours ago, Cruzer said:

* Inner league play is cool and fine - leave it alone.

* This proposed playoff system is stupid as fock.

I actually like the idea of giving some REAL incentive for grabbing the #1 seed in the league.  This does that because you get a bye.  That helps the regular season a lot.