Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Deftones

Has anyone seen these guys live, or otherwise have an opinion on them?

My daughter gave me a heads up that they're touring this summer with Gojira opening.  Will probably get tickets just to see Gojira again, as they're focking awesome. :headbanger:

Listening to Deftones on Spotify and they're "OK" but am hoping that a good live show will help make them more interesting. From what I've read about them it sounds like they started out as "nu metal" (which I'm pretty meh on) but they've changed a bit over time.

Awesome band with long staying power in a genre that did not age well... White pony is one of the better albums of all time IMO

I only know this song, which I really like. They look like dooshes though and I wonder if I would like anything else by them. I could see songs in this genre sucking. :dunno:

They opened for Metallica one time but I was out in the parking lot for their set. This is the only song I know by them, which I think is better without the video, but either way kind of a mellow, grungy song, 

3 hours ago, kutulu said:

They opened for Metallica one time but I was out in the parking lot for their set. This is the only song I know by them, which I think is better without the video, but either way kind of a mellow, grungy song, 

I saw them when they opened for Metallica in Philadelphia, likely that same show you’re talking about.  Admittedly, I didn’t know any of their music, but I thought I’d give them a chance.

focking terrible.  They sounded bad, the sound coming from the speakers was eh (possibly not their fault).  I haven’t given them a chance since and that was 10+ years ago.  They could have improved by then and they may give a great live show now.  All I can base it on is that one experience.

Bought tickets in order to see Gojira and continuing to listen to Deftones on shuffle.  A bunch of their songs remind me of Smashing Pumpkins, with breathy vocals that sound a lot like Billy Corgan (at least to me).  My daughter will definitely enjoy them.  I might just walk out and grab a couple beers during their set if I find myself getting bored.