Jump to content
edjr

It's time to start taxing churches and their properties.

Recommended Posts

All of my entertainment is taxable everyone else’s should be as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kutulu said:

Here comes another con hiding behind a collar
His only God is the almighty dollar
He ain't no prophet, he ain't no healer
He's just a two bit God damm money stealer

 

Hush little baby don’t cry like that

Gods gonna buy you a Cadillac

He’s chosen you to do his will

You can spread his word in your Coupe Deville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

start taxing them, then put all the money toward the deficit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BufordT said:

start taxing them, then put all the money toward the deficit.

:lol: If you haven't learned by now that no taxes will ever go toward the deficit...

All taxes are just more money to spend on pet projects.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about we don't tax anything? 

WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much taxation in America!!!

The Government has obscene fortunes amassed / stolen from the American slaves that we all are.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about private colleges? Talk about prime real estate and sucking up local resources. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

How about we don't tax anything? 

WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much taxation in America!!!

The Government has obscene fortunes amassed / stolen from the American slaves that we all are.

If we taxed everything that should be taxed then it would be WAAAAAAAYYYYYY less taxes for us regular people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Principles behind the tax exemption: https://dailycitizen.focusonthefamily.com/why-are-churches-and-religious-organizations-tax-exempt/

It sounds like people are upset with the numerous churches that really seem like businesses in disguise. The problem isn't that they're tax exempt, it's that they have followers. Levying taxes doesn't address the problem (nor should anything, except hope for people to wake up). The business-in-disguise churches will carry on and take more license to promote political outcomes. 

But, whatever, I'm at the point where I have more confidence in professing believers who would be content in house churches, because it's not about a building and not about a business.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, naomi said:

Principles behind the tax exemption: https://dailycitizen.focusonthefamily.com/why-are-churches-and-religious-organizations-tax-exempt/

It sounds like people are upset with the numerous churches that really seem like businesses in disguise. The problem isn't that they're tax exempt, it's that they have followers. Levying taxes doesn't address the problem (nor should anything, except hope for people to wake up). The business-in-disguise churches will carry on and take more license to promote political outcomes. 

But, whatever, I'm at the point where I have more confidence in professing believers who would be content in house churches, because it's not about a building and not about a business.

I’m the head of our church council and former head of the trustees.  
 

Our church and every other in this area operate on a shoestring with most of the funds raised going right back into the community.  
 

Nobody is getting rich off what is being done the name of Jesus Christ in this town.  
 

The pastor lives in a modest parsonage and makes $35K/year 

The only other full time employee is the worship director who makes a little less than that.  
 

If it weren’t for one member of the congregation who essentially donated the land and half the cost of the building, the church would probably not exist.   
 

Mega churches and big city Catholic cathedrals aren’t good measuring sticks for the average U.S. church.  
 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Mega churches and big city Catholic cathedrals aren’t good measuring sticks for the average U.S. church.  
 

Catholic Cathedrals aren't a great example of the average Catholic Church. Attendance is probably better at the average Catholic Church than the average non Catholic, but the overhead is also way bigger. 15-20% of the intake goes to the Dioceses, then with what's left they have to pay the bills. And that church supports 20 community organizations, mostly for kids and older people and the disadvantaged. Every church reflects the neighborhood it's in so rich ones have rich churches. The average Catholic church is scraping by. And still, I am not against taxing the property, although I think you could figure out a way to write off community donations against it.  That could keep fake churches a bit honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

How about private colleges? Talk about prime real estate and sucking up local resources. 

Colleges are a huge plus to a community! This is one of the things corporations look at when looking for possible business locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Colleges are a huge plus to a community! This is one of the things corporations look at when looking for possible business locations.

They are already there. :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

They are already there. :dunno:

New Colleges are continuously being built.

 You want to tax them so they can rise tuition????

This is a local issue, put a tax on universities and no one will locate there again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Colleges are a huge plus to a community! This is one of the things corporations look at when looking for possible business locations.

What does that have to do with them paying taxes? Are they gonna move? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What does that have to do with them paying taxes? Are they gonna move? 

Are you going to tax state owned universities too? 

6 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

New Colleges are continuously being built.

 You want to tax them so they can rise tuition????

This is a local issue, put a tax on universities and no one will locate there again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

New Colleges are continuously being built.

 You want to tax them so they can rise tuition????

This is a local issue, put a tax on universities and no one will locate there again.

I am not taxing anyone. I think property tax should be universal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Are you going to tax state owned universities too? 

Do they have billion dollar endowments that are also tax free? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Do they have billion dollar endowments that are also tax free? 

Yes! They get it from the government who in turn take it from you. You didn’t answer my question are you going to tax the state colleges too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I am not taxing anyone. I think property tax should be universal. 

You are not taxing anyone because you have someone else to do it for you? That’s a pretty cheap argument.

This is a local issue, you could do something about it if you really cared. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Yes! They get it from the government who in turn take it from you. You didn’t answer my question are you going to tax the state colleges too?

 No. That would be stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

This is a local issue

:lol: Nope, it's a discussion on a low rent message board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

 No. That would be stupid. 

Then why tax private colleges? it sounds like you just want to make it harder for them to compete with state controlled higher education. Maybe the state should get out of a higher education completely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

:lol: Nope, it's a discussion on a low rent message board.

Why do you think property taxes are a federal issue rather than a local issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Then why tax private colleges? it sounds like you just want to make it harder for them to compete with state controlled higher education. Maybe the state should get out of a higher education completely?

 Because that’s where the money is, silly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Why do you think property taxes are a federal issue rather than a local issue?

Where did I state that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×