Cloaca du jour

Hey Bier Meister...quick question

We buy chicken breasts from a butcher...big honking things...have alot of fat n stuff on them.

I trim em up and have like a couple of lbs of fat left over....

Anything I can do with it...make a smaltz or a broth/stock?  No bones tho...i could add some veggies...but I was just thinking of using and storing the rendered fat.

5 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Anything I can do with it...make a smaltz or a broth/stock?  No bones tho...i could add some veggies...but I was just thinking of using and storing the rendered fat.

Yes... schmaltz and rendered down.  We generally try to keep the fat out of the stocks.

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Yes... schmaltz and rendered down.  We generally try to keep the fat out of the stocks.

Tyvm...Ill give it a shot..worst that happens...throw it away lol.  But I read you can use it in place of oil or butter and add flavor..

9 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

If I chill off the fat...is the remaining liquid useful? 

yep.  very common to skim fat and impurities from broth and stock while cooking.... cool. then off skim the coagulated fat.

I save my chicken trimmings, store in freezer. When I get enuff built up, will throw in slow cooker for chicken tacos - or use in a King Ranch casserole. 

52 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

or use in a King Ranch casserole. 

Never heard of that one before.  Looked up recipe and looks good.  Do you add anything special to yours?  

Yeah...we have a place...40lbs of chicken...50 bucks...we buy a couple three cases a year...cheap and great flavor...their pork is top notch....they had a 3 little piggies special...spare ribs...chops...ham steaks..bacon and bulk sausage...15lbs fir 28 dollars..

Great place...and great prices...we dont ground beef much anymore..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Never heard of that one before.  Looked up recipe and looks good.  Do you add anything special to yours?  

Not sure of the proper ingredients - but besides bird, mine has:

Can cream mushroom soup

Can cream chicken soup

Can diced 2matos (drained)

7 oz. can little green chilies 

8 oz. can of corn (drained)

Grated cheese 

Then I top with black olives & green onion.... Be sure to season your bird - whether boiled chicken or picked bird from a rotisserie chicken.

22 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

We buy chicken breasts from a butcher...big honking things...have alot of fat n stuff on them.

I trim em up and have like a couple of lbs of fat left over....

Throw it in chicken soup. I like it greazzy

12 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I save my chicken trimmings, store in freezer. When I get enuff built up, will throw in slow cooker for chicken tacos - or use in a King Ranch casserole. 

Looks awesome!!!

4 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Looks awesome!!!

It's one of my regular/go-to meals. Easy and cheap - and makes great leftovers.

We eat with tortilla chips too, don't even need a fork really. 

11 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

I've made it. It's glorious. I add LOTS of green chile and onion .