Sign in to follow this  
Bills04

Could Burrow pull an Eli?

It sure could be the case. 

I don't really think it's an issue really.  Before the December, Burrow wasn't even the #1 pick anyway, Tua was.  If he doesn't want to play in Cincy, then the Bengals would probably be smarter to take Tua, keep Dalton, and let Tua sit and learn until he's healthy enough to take over.  That's probably the better move for Cincinnati.  I don't think anyone will give up much for Dalton at this point... but next year, if Dalton plays, and plays well, he may get a good offer from someone in the offseason and the Bengals may get a 3rd round comp pick for him in the 2022 draft.  Better than a 5th or 6th now.

I don’t agree that Dalton would be worth anymore next season then he would be worth this season.  

Teams know what he brings to the table at this point of his career. 

I think it could be a interesting situation, and I for one hope it does happen. 

I don't think he is anywhere near Eli in terms of talent. Let's not disrespect the future HOFer with comparisons to never-beens. 

• Thanks 1

I watched a lot of LSU this year as a SEC fan and that LSU team was one of the best college football teams top to bottom I’ve ever watched. Burrow played well, but he had a great supporting cast.  I don’t see him as a great NFL QB.  Maybe good in the right situation.  TBay is spot on in my opinion.  If Tua can actually stay healthy, and not fall apart after he gets hit once, he’d be the better bet at a franchise QB.  Those are two big “if’s”.  Tua has the talent, he’s just as soft as I’ve ever watched.

13 hours ago, weepaws said:

I don’t agree that Dalton would be worth anymore next season then he would be worth this season.  

Teams know what he brings to the table at this point of his career. 

I think it could be a interesting situation, and I for one hope it does happen. 

The value difference is where teams may not want to give up a quality draft pick for a 1-yr/$17M rental.  With that, teams may only be willing to give up a 5th or a 6th round pick.  After the coming season and Dalton is a free agent, he'll likely get a starting job somewhere.  The contract plus the time played could next the Bengals a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Everything you say I can agree with, it could happen that way.  

But, I’m not so sure he’s going to get a starting job after this season. 

Hes been in the league long enough for teams to know his value.  

When I compare Daltion to let’s say Rivers, Rivers I can see being a real asset to a team, expecally a team that could use a Qb like Rivers to make them a playoff contender.  

I don’t see Daltion being someone that can produce that.  

Great chat thanks,appreciate it. 

Ps I do agree, I should be deleted.  

Thanks. 

I think Dalton is pretty reliable.  He'll complete about 62% of his passes... throw twice as many TD's as Int's, maybe better, and can control an offense.  When you look at Flacco, Eli, and Dalton... all 3 are pretty much the same kind of QB.  If teams can win a SB with Flacco and Eli, they can win one with Dalton.

Nine of his thirteen games he played in last season he was under 60%. 

And he’ll be 33 years old on October.  

So like Eli and Flacco his age is catching up to his ability to produce, I don’t see a Qb that can make a team a contender.  

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think Dalton is pretty reliable.  He'll complete about 62% of his passes... throw twice as many TD's as Int's, maybe better, and can control an offense.  When you look at Flacco, Eli, and Dalton... all 3 are pretty much the same kind of QB.  If teams can win a SB with Flacco and Eli, they can win one with Dalton.

You are absolutely correct! Dalton should be the top priority for the TB Buccaneers. With their history of superb QB play and rich championship tradition it's a match made in heaven....

27 minutes ago, jrokh said:

You are absolutely correct! Dalton should be the top priority for the TB Buccaneers. With their history of superb QB play and rich championship tradition it's a match made in heaven....

I wouldn't be upset at all with Dalton.  With Godwin, Evans, Brate, and Howard, he'd have a plethora of targets.  He's accurate and fairly safe with the ball.  He'll also have much more talent in Tampa than he did in Cincinnati... plus better coaching.  With Dalton, Tampa should easily get double digit wins every year.  You can't win a super bowl if you don't make the playoffs.

Besides his rookie season, his last three seasons has been his three worst for competition  %. In his nfl career.  

I think I would rather keep Winston  

28 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Besides his rookie season, his last three seasons has been his three worst for competition  %. In his nfl career.  

I think I would rather keep Winston  

You don't think the lack of supporting cast wasn't an issue?  In 2017, Green did play 16 games, but their next best WR was Brandon LaFell.  Eifert only played 2 games.

In 2018, Green played in only 9 games and Eifert only 4.  Boyd finally showed up, but you're not winning many games with that cast.

Last season, Green missed the whole year and Boyd was the only quality target.

Winston is a turnover machine and isn't even a viable starter in the NFL.

Sure I think supporting cast means a lot.  

Daltons competition % in 2017 with Green is the same as last season without Green. 

Funny because of Daltions three season , his competition % was higher in 2018 when Green played only played in a half of a season. 

Now I’ve always never looked at competition % as a great ranking of qbs  

Just look at Rivers competition %, we’ve already talked about that, he Rivers throws a lot of passes to his Rbs , and his completion % is really high. 

I think Dalton could diffently benefit with WRs like Godwin and Evans , But right now at this stage of Daltions career I don’t see a playoff Qb.  

And I think that another year just means Daltion would be another year older as well.  

So if he remains with the Bengals this next season, I don’t see him being better the next season, he’ll be facing 34 by then. 

Plus I think you said he could be worth more next season if he playes well, but it looks like there is no guarantee that Green comes back to the Bengals from what I’ve been seeing, so if his surrounding cast is once again weak so we’ll his season, plus of they draft high on a Qb at some point from what we are now seeing in today’s nfl Daltion might just be riding the bench before long. 

But if that does happen he would be even cheaper to buy in 2021. 

Thanks for the return post   

Delete me. 

I think it will take a third round pick in this year's draft to acquire Andy Dalton and some team will do it.  

Dalton is better than Dak.  Put Andy behind that O-line in Dallas with Zeke and both of their numbers would be career highs.  Dalton has always been great at throwing to his Rbs out of the backfield.  

Mmm I would disagree that he’s better then Dak.