Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Anyone not know about REAL ID that will be needed for all domestic air travel?

They are a designation on your driver's license as of this coming October that you will need one in order to fly domestically. If you do not have one, you will need to get a new DL. They are not automatically issued. You have to go get one.  Passports can be used in place of your DL as always but you will have to carry even for domestic flights if you don't have the REAL ID DL.

Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Check for the star.

REAL ID-compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

Got mine last year. Needed a new drivers license anyway. But yea I found out about it when I was getting my stuff switched over to SC. 

I won't get one because I don't fly...  I would rather drive to the destination...

1 hour ago, posty said:

I won't get one because I don't fly...  I would rather drive to the destination...

Yeah I mean fock efficiency and your time right. 

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

Yeah I mean fock efficiency and your time right. 

I don't travel that much to warrant flying...

I registered for mine in early January.  Still waiting for it to be mailed.

4 hours ago, posty said:

You're in Maryland, yes posty?  They've been harassing me about getting one nonstop (which I will get around to doing), and basically they say that if you do not, they will confiscate your license.  Not actively, but if you get pulled over or something it will then be taken from you.  Is that true or just a scare tactic?  I'm trying to determine whether my 97-year old grand-dad really needs to get one (he's getting the letters as well).  He ain't flying anytime soon, and probably not entering any restricted federal buildings.

Air travel? Commifornia says you can't buy ammo without one. 

Yeah, the same Anti-American asshoIes who say blacks are too stupid to get an ID, and even if they weren't it's a completely impossible undertaking to have to endure prove your eligibility to exercise your voting PRIVILEGE. 

Say you should have to get a completely new and more invasive form of ID to exercise your RIGHT to buy ammo. Because gun crimes.

But they recently reduced the penalty for getting caught with a stolen firearm from a felony to a misdemeanor.

Yep, get caught with a stolen gun, get cited and released to go on your merry way with a promise to appear. 

Anybody who believes the anti-gun buIIshit from the left is a complete moron. 

They wouldn’t give me one even though I had a passport and my birth certificate. They told me I needed a W2 or something else so I just got a regular license and will use my passport for air travel. You can thank the lib states giving licenses to illegals for this mess. There’s so many fraudulent licenses that they had to create a new one for citizens. 

• Like 3

I just renewed my normal license. It's sitting in dad's safe back home. I'll just use my passport to fly domestically, since I'll need it to fly international anyway. 

3 hours ago, Mookz said:

You're in Maryland, yes posty?  They've been harassing me about getting one nonstop (which I will get around to doing), and basically they say that if you do not, they will confiscate your license.  Not actively, but if you get pulled over or something it will then be taken from you.  Is that true or just a scare tactic?  I'm trying to determine whether my 97-year old grand-dad really needs to get one (he's getting the letters as well).  He ain't flying anytime soon, and probably not entering any restricted federal buildings.

There is no reason you would need to have the new one if not flying as they are still handing out the regular ones. I believe you have to ask for the different license and possibly have to fill out specific forms to acquire the one that lets you fly. I would imagine this is the same across the US but what the hell do I know. This kind of crap is changing all the time because of all the freaking illegals in this country. 

12 hours ago, Mookz said:

I'm in Northern Virginia, but I have heard that as well about Maryland wanting to take your license...  I don't think they can do that legally...  It is only needed for flying and in Virginia is costs $10 extra to get the REAL ID...  If you aren't going to fly, you shouldn't be required to get it...  Maybe each state is different on their rules?

12 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Air travel? Commifornia says you can't buy ammo without one. 

Yeah, the same Anti-American asshoIes who say blacks are too stupid to get an ID, and even if they weren't it's a completely impossible undertaking to have to endure prove your eligibility to exercise your voting PRIVILEGE. 

Say you should have to get a completely new and more invasive form of ID to exercise your RIGHT to buy ammo. Because gun crimes.

But they recently reduced the penalty for getting caught with a stolen firearm from a felony to a misdemeanor.

Yep, get caught with a stolen gun, get cited and released to go on your merry way with a promise to appear. 

Anybody who believes the anti-gun buIIshit from the left is a complete moron. 

No, you see... this is ok, but when states start to require that you need this "REAL-ID" to register to vote, then the white privilege card will be used.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mookz said:

My guess is that they will take your 97 year-old grandfather's license for reasons other than the Real-ID.  At some point, he will be a danger to others if he isn't already there.

11 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Have had 3 separate conversations about this today. My license is up in July, so I will get it done then.

They keep delaying it and I've held off because my current AZ one doesn't expire until I am 65, and the new ones expire in 4 years?  8?  Anyway, I carry my passport when I travel anyway so it is no big deal, but if it seems like it is really going to happen this time, I'll eventually get around to getting the new one.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

They keep delaying it and I've held off because my current AZ one doesn't expire until I am 65, and the new ones expire in 4 years?  8?  Anyway, I carry my passport when I travel anyway so it is no big deal, but if it seems like it is really going to happen this time, I'll eventually get around to getting the new one.

Ours are good for 5 years and you can renew by mail every other one.  I think that I would probably forget my passport at least once for a trip and don't want to have to bring that with me.  My license is in my wallet which is with me all the time. 

I opted for the EnhancedID, which is the real ID but also acts as a passport for land travel in North America (Canada & Mexico).

Also, please note that if you ever go into secure govt buildings, you will need a Real ID as of Oct to do so.

1 minute ago, Drizzay said:

I opted for the EnhancedID, which is the real ID but also acts as a passport for land travel in North America (Canada & Mexico).

Also, please note that if you ever go into secure govt buildings, you will need a Real ID as of Oct to do so.

Ah.  I did not know that last part.  Makes sense though.  

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Ours are good for 5 years and you can renew by mail every other one.  I think that I would probably forget my passport at least once for a trip and don't want to have to bring that with me.  My license is in my wallet which is with me all the time. 

1 minute ago, Drizzay said:

I often enter mil-aero facilities and have on occasion needed my passport.  The first time it happened I was lucky that I had my Global Entry card stuffed in my backpack, and it has my passport number, and I smooth talked the lady at the front desk that it was pretty much the same thing.  Now I just leave my passport in my backpack.

I'll be interested if the Real ID will be sufficient at such places moving forward, because I don't like risking the loss of my passport, should my backpack get stolen.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I often enter mil-aero facilities and have on occasion needed my passport.  The first time it happened I was lucky that I had my Global Entry card stuffed in my backpack, and it has my passport number, and I smooth talked the lady at the front desk that it was pretty much the same thing.  Now I just leave my passport in my backpack.

I'll be interested if the Real ID will be sufficient at such places moving forward, because I don't like risking the loss of my passport, should my backpack get stolen.

A fannypack is not a backpack you h0mo.  :nono:

10 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

A fannypack is not a backpack you h0mo.  :nono:

But it matches my jorts.  :ninja:

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, you see... this is ok, but when states start to require that you need this "REAL-ID" to register to vote, then the white privilege card will be used.

Of course. It's what they do. 

3 hours ago, Drizzay said:

What state are you in?  I'm in WA and got my EDL a couple years ago. I thought I read that only a few border states (north and south) issue those, however. 

1 hour ago, DonS said:

What state are you in?  I'm in WA and got my EDL a couple years ago. I thought I read that only a few border states (north and south) issue those, however. 

MN.  We, as a state drug our feet with the Feds, to become compliant with Real ID standards.  Apparently MN didnt like the idea of needing one, but finally caved last year.  Problem is, now everyone in the state only had a year and a half (now only 8 months) to get one.  We are log jammed with issuing them.  The people who wait until Sept to apply for one are focked.

I mostly got the Enhanced version, so we could drive into Canada whenever we wanted.

Just now, Drizzay said:

MN.  We, as a state drug our feet with the Feds, to become compliant with Real ID standards.  Apparently MN didnt like the idea of needing one, but finally caved last year.  Problem is, now everyone in the state only had a year and a half (now only 8 months) to get one.  We are log jammed with issuing them.  The people who wait until Sept to apply for one are focked.

I mostly got the Enhanced version, so we could drive into Canada whenever we wanted.

WA was in the same boat since they didn't play by the Real ID rules either.  Does make driving to Canada easier. 

28 minutes ago, DonS said:

WA was in the same boat since they didn't play by the Real ID rules either.  Does make driving to Canada easier. 

I don't know if it has anything to do with this particular ID, but I drove by a DMV the other day and there was a line outside going at least a full block and around the corner some. Yikes.