Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Saints’ Michael Thomas cites Tony Romo’s contract as reason not to sign new CBA

When will players ever realize that what they do for a living is entertainment and only entertainment? The NFL is a very successful reality TV show, and nothing more. I don't necessarily tune in to listen to certain announcers, but, I will definitely tune out when they suck. Like when they bring women in on the broadcast.

I also don't think people tune into the game to watch a specific player (maybe in fantasy football at times?), they tune in to watch a team or a matchup or because of gambling.

I'm a big fan of Thomas, but he solely doesn't drive me to watch a game. The announcers have a bigger overall impact on each telecast in the end.

New Orleans Saints receiver Michael Thomas, like many of us, was stunned to see that Tony Romo is making $17 million a year on his new contract with CBS Sports.

He had a different takeaway than the average Joe, though, when he argued on Twitter that Romo’s deal is “why we shouldn’t sign the new CBA agreement,” noting “no way the announcer should be making more than 90% of the players.”

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/saints-michael-thomas-cites-tony-romos-contract-as-reason-not-to-sign-new-cba/

The union’s job is to advocate for labor any way they can. The NFL has by far the weakest player Union. That’s partly a good thing, especially the lack of fully guaranteed contracts. But I can’t blame them for trying to squeeze every $ they can out of the league. The he NFL is printing cash.

2 hours ago, MDC said:

The union’s job is to advocate for labor any way they can. The NFL has by far the weakest player Union. That’s partly a good thing, especially the lack of fully guaranteed contracts. But I can’t blame them for trying to squeeze every $ they can out of the league. The he NFL is printing cash.

Nothing wrong with that, but why go after Tony Romo and say he shouldn't be making that kind of money? He's the best booth guy in the NFL as far as I'm concerned. He actually has to be coherent and interesting for 2.5 hours or however long the broadcasts are these days. Plus he already proved himself on the field. I don't know why Thomas would say that he doesn't deserve more than the players. Just like anyone else in their jobs, they get paid what someone is willing to offer them. And that is the way it should be.

38 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Nothing wrong with that, but why go after Tony Romo and say he shouldn't be making that kind of money? He's the best booth guy in the NFL as far as I'm concerned. He actually has to be coherent and interesting for 2.5 hours or however long the broadcasts are these days. Plus he already proved himself on the field. I don't know why Thomas would say that he doesn't deserve more than the players. Just like anyone else in their jobs, they get paid what someone is willing to offer them. And that is the way it should be.

I like Romo too. I don’t think Thomas is saying Romo shouldn’t be paid that much. He’s saying the on field talent should make more than the booth guys.

As long as they maintain the salary cap and don’t expand the season or playoffs I don’t care what they get paid. It’s millionaires arguing with billionaires.

What does one have to do with the other? Thomas is an idiot. College man. 

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

I like Romo too. I don’t think Thomas is saying Romo shouldn’t be paid that much. He’s saying the on field talent should make more than the booth guys.

As long as they maintain the salary cap and don’t expand the season or playoffs I don’t care what they get paid. It’s millionaires arguing with billionaires.

Well, he did say the following:

"no way the announcer should be making more than 90% of the players."

So in his own way he wants a cap on what the announcers should be able to make.

I bet there are a lot of running backs in the league who feel that they deserve the love over a WR given they pounding many of them take every game.

And Thomas aint sharing nuthin out of his wallet for any other players. Not that he should have to.

Michael Thomas signed a 5 year, $96,250,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $20,000,000 signing bonus, $60,598,043 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,250,000. In 2020, Thomas will earn a base salary of $11,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,000,000 and a dead cap value of $30,000,000.

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What does one have to do with the other? Thomas is an idiot. College man. 

Yeah, now that he got his $96 million contract, he turns on Romo. Jeez.

In a way Romos contract shows the NFL should be getting more out of their TV contracts.

With no dog in the fight, Id watch a game that Romo is announcing because he's good. I might not watch another announcer.  All about ratings Michael and Tony is good for business. 

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

With no dog in the fight, Id watch a game that Romo is announcing because he's good. I might not watch another announcer.  All about ratings Michael and Tony is good for business. 

No doubt about it. Thomas is one of my favorite players in the league to watch play. If he is addressing the public/media with these comments, I think this is just a perfect case of shut up and catch the ball.

Not just that, he neglects to mention all the money the players receive from NIke, Adidas..etc...etc...

11 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

50 bucks says Michael Thomas doesn't realize Romo is paid by CBS, not by the NFL.

Exactly - they have nothing to do with each other.

Thomas should have targeted Goodell and his $40m a year deal - that argument has teeth. 

29 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Exactly - they have nothing to do with each other.

Thomas should have targeted Goodell and his $40m a year - that argument has teeth. 

Maybe there is some rule that states it is off limits for players to comment on NFL salaries other than his own? Beats me. Either way, he has a big ass contract and should keep his mouth shut if he wants to see it all one day.

• Like 1

In the article it states:

" Interestingly, and somewhat ironically, the proposed CBA is being opposed by many players who actually do make more than Romo will at CBS. Meanwhile, NFL insiders have cited the increase in pay for the players who are at the bottom of the NFL’s food chain as the biggest reason the proposed CBA will end up being ratified by the players. "

Seems like maybe Thomas doesn't want the increase in player's salaries who make at the bottom of the league average to be at the expense of his glorious contract since there is a team salary cap in the NFL.

He’s a dumb football player. Most of them are. That’s why the concussion thing is kinda ridiculous. What’s the baseline for these morons? How can you tell if their cognitive abilities have decreased? 

17 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

In the article it states:

" Interestingly, and somewhat ironically, the proposed CBA is being opposed by many players who actually do make more than Romo will at CBS. Meanwhile, NFL insiders have cited the increase in pay for the players who are at the bottom of the NFL’s food chain as the biggest reason the proposed CBA will end up being ratified by the players. "

Seems like maybe Thomas doesn't want the increase in player's salaries who make at the bottom of the league average to be at the expense of his glorious contract since there is a team salary cap in the NFL.

I'm thinking Beckham or one of the other highly paid dumbasses have been rabble rousing that the top players should be paid 35+ million a year like NBA or MLB players. Ignoring that there are way more NFL players and they play way fewer games.

13 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

I'm thinking Beckham or one of the other highly paid dumbasses have been rabble rousing that the top players should be paid 35+ million a year like NBA or MLB players. Ignoring that there are way more NFL players and they play way fewer games.

Yeah. I don't get the whole one up thing for some of these guys. Or the I gotta get paid attitude, other than trying to get the most they can like anyone would do. But once you sign the contract, put a lid on it. Move on to fulfilling it and stop any whining moving forward. I know at my job I'm very content with my salary and I don't know what others make but even if I found out someone was getting paid more than me at the same level, it wouldn't bother me a bit. I'm living my own life, not comparing myself to what other people make and how they live.

17 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Well, he did say the following:

"no way the announcer should be making more than 90% of the players."

So in his own way he wants a cap on what the announcers should be able to make.

I bet there are a lot of running backs in the league who feel that they deserve the love over a WR given they pounding many of them take every game.

And Thomas aint sharing nuthin out of his wallet for any other players. Not that he should have to.

Michael Thomas signed a 5 year, $96,250,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $20,000,000 signing bonus, $60,598,043 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,250,000. In 2020, Thomas will earn a base salary of $11,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,000,000 and a dead cap value of $30,000,000.

I still think he was saying NFL players should earn more than announcers, not that Romo is overpaid. 

I don’t care what the players make vs the owners. Just get a deal done, no expansion, keep the playoff format the same. Would be nice if they could fix the officiating too.

Isn't it odd that Thomas is hating on a former player making some coin? I mean, eventually Thomas will be a former player, and if isn't a mush mouth he too might get some coin, why ruin it for yourself?

15 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Isn't it odd that Thomas is hating on a former player making some coin? I mean, eventually Thomas will be a former player, and if isn't a mush mouth he too might get some coin, why ruin it for yourself?

Hell, Shannon Sharpe got a job.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:05 PM, MDC said:

The owners are getting 52% and the players are getting 48%.  The main reason for that gap is 2-fold... 1, the owners are paying for players past and future, not just present and 2, because it's their business.  The players currently are getting a fair share.