Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Saints’ Michael Thomas cites Tony Romo’s contract as reason not to sign new CBA

Thomas is one of my favorite players in the league to watch on game day, and I'm glad to see him get his big money pay day (~$96 million over 5) because if any one receiver deserves it, he does. But WTF is with him saying Romo, or any NFL broadcaster/analyst shouldn't be getting paid more than 90% of what the players are making in the league? And if his solution is to make sure the teams pay all their players higher than any broadcaster, try to rationalize that.

I don't tune in to watch any specific broadcaster, but I have definitely tuned out if the booth people are bad. And I found to really enjoy a broadcast more when guys like Romo are on it.

I also don't think the majority of people watch games because of a specific player (maybe in fantasy football at times or to see a rookie get his chance?), they watch games because of a specific team or a matchup or because of gambling. 

Plus Romo's contract is with CBS sports, not the NFL. Does Thomas also get upset at non NFL related business owners or employees that pull in more than 90% of the NFL players. If not, why not?

New Orleans Saints receiver Michael Thomas, like many of us, was stunned to see that Tony Romo is making $17 million a year on his new contract with CBS Sports.

He had a different takeaway than the average Joe, though, when he argued on Twitter that Romo’s deal is “why we shouldn’t sign the new CBA agreement,” noting “no way the announcer should be making more than 90% of the players.”

Interestingly, and somewhat ironically, the proposed CBA is being opposed by many players who actually do make more than Romo will at CBS. Meanwhile, NFL insiders have cited the increase in pay for the players who are at the bottom of the NFL’s food chain as the biggest reason the proposed CBA will end up being ratified by the players.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/saints-michael-thomas-cites-tony-romos-contract-as-reason-not-to-sign-new-cba/

Holy carp!!  I knew Romo's contract would be up soon.  That boy got P-A-I-D!!

But regarding Michael Thomas' concern:  apples vs. oranges.  One has N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do with the other.

Sounds like Thomas had his pride hurt.  

Yeah, that argument is kind of a slippery slope.  I mean, why should people who play games and entertain us for a living be paid more than teachers, social workers, and emergency service workers--i.e., the people who are actually important to society--in the first place?

Great question.  

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Yeah, that argument is kind of a slippery slope.  I mean, why should people who play games and entertain us for a living be paid more than teachers, social workers, and emergency service workers--i.e., the people who are actually important to society--in the first place?

That question actually has a very easy answer.  Common Sense.

To answer that question with a answer of Common Sense, is simply a mock to the question. 

Its really a great question, and there is no reason why any entertainer should be paid more then those that are indeed more important to society.  

Supply and demand? I can get a first responder degree fairly easily over a short period of time (a year or two). Not sure I could pull a Tony Romo on a Monday night football broadcast in that amount of time. 

32 minutes ago, weepaws said:

To answer that question with a answer of Common Sense, is simply a mock to the question. 

Its really a great question, and there is no reason why any entertainer should be paid more then those that are indeed more important to society.  

It is a mock of the question.  All the jobs he mentioned have employees in the millions who get paid with tax dollars that has a legitimate limit. In entertainment, the amount of "artists" pales in comparison, and that money is given directly to the specific form of entertainment and not the government.  So yes, it is common sense.

Also, something else that is common sense is ability.  Every abled body person can be a teacher, police officer, fire fighter, social worker, etc... because those career fields are choices.  The entertainment field isn't a choice, it's a viability.  You actually need to be one of the truly great in those fields to have a career.  It's not just some training you need to go through.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Supply and demand? I can get a first responder degree fairly easily over a short period of time (a year or two). Not sure I could pull a Tony Romo on a Monday night football broadcast in that amount of time. 

If that sword cuts both ways, then you've answered Michael Thomas' objection--there are fewer network football color commentators than there are NFL players, so obviously the commentators should be paid more as the more exclusive club.

If that sword cuts both ways, then you've answered Michael Thomas' objection--there are fewer network football color commentators than there are NFL players, so obviously the commentators should be paid more as the more exclusive club.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but, I don't think Thomas should object because CBS wants to pay Romo for his services. What else is there to understand from Thomas' point of view. Nothing. Romo makes the NFL product better and the NFL isn't even paying for him.

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It is a mock of the question.  All the jobs he mentioned have employees in the millions who get paid with tax dollars that has a legitimate limit. In entertainment, the amount of "artists" pales in comparison, and that money is given directly to the specific form of entertainment and not the government.  So yes, it is common sense.

Also, something else that is common sense is ability.  Every abled body person can be a teacher, police officer, fire fighter, social worker, etc... because those career fields are choices.  The entertainment field isn't a choice, it's a viability.  You actually need to be one of the truly great in those fields to have a career.  It's not just some training you need to go through.

Have you ever train to be a fire fighter?  

Being a fire fighter or a police offer or a teacher and a social worker takes a lot of hard work and even schooling.  

To be the field on entertainment like in sports or of some kind of entertainment takes a lot of hard work and practice also. 

So I think they both take a lot of desire and dedication.  

And because of the similarities of dedication it takes to be either one of those professions I can’t see why the pay is so widely different.  

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

Have you ever train to be a fire fighter?  

Being a fire fighter or a police offer or a teacher and a social worker takes a lot of hard work and even schooling.  

To be the field on entertainment like in sports or of some kind of entertainment takes a lot of hard work and practice also. 

So I think they both take a lot of desire and dedication.  

And because of the similarities of dedication it takes to be either one of those professions I can’t see why the pay is so widely different.  

As a matter of fact, yes, I have trained as a fire fighter... and it's hard work.  Not many people have the ability to handle the hard work and tolls the job takes on your body.  It also applies to police, rescue, teachers, and social workers.  But one thing that I know is common sense, is that there are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people who do these jobs every day.  I understand that it does suck that their pays are not as high they probably deserve... well, teachers are probably overpaid, but that's a different issue.  That said, there are only a select few people in the entertainment industry that make big/real money.  I also understand that, barring something tragic, the people we're talking about can do their jobs for 30, 40, or even as many as 50 years with excellent medical benefits and pension plans (mainly because they're government workers).  I also understand that 95% of all professional athletes make about $500k per year and their careers last for about 3 years.  I also understand that after taxes and whatnot, they're only going to see about one-third of that money and then they're going to have to find another way to make a living.  On top of all of that, I understand that while these government employees do make some sacrifices, it pales in comparison to athletes and other entertainers.  At the end of the day, these government employees (again, barring an unforeseen circumstance), go home to their families for the night to have dinner and put their kids to bed.  That opportunity isn't always there for athletes and other entertainers.  Sometimes they go days, weeks, and even some times months without seeing their families.  On top of that, a lot of these entertainers are seeing physical tolls that most government employees don't/won't have to deal with.  Generally, aside from fire fighters and police officers, getting an injury and ruining their future employment forever.  A teacher or social worker don't really have to deal with that possibility on a daily basis.

On top of all of that, I also understand... and apparently you don't, that only a small few select athletes, actors, musicians, etc, see tons of money.  It's certainly not the majority and in fact, the significant minority.  To note, all of their money is coming from people like you.  You watch movies.  You watch tv shows.  You go to sporting event.  You go to concerts.  You, me, and people like us do these things routinely.  That's where their money is coming from, and rightfully so.  They're making money because they're performing a service that we are asking for.  Now, if you have a problem with them making all that money, then maybe you should make the decision to stop watching movies and tv shows.  Stop going to sporting events and concerts.  Stop being a revenue stream for these entertainers.

This, is all common sense.  Government employees (the ones we listed above), get paid via taxes.  There are approximately 3.2M teachers in this country.  Approximately 700k police officers and about 800k (paid firefighters), and another 300k EMTS (rescue squad).  Then another 700k social workers.  In total, that's over 5.5M people getting salaries, medical benefits, and retirement plans that are getting covered on a daily basis from our taxes.  To note, those people aren't the only ones we're paying for.  Because of their unions and what not, there are many millions more that are retired that we are still paying for their medical costs.  If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but you're only way to improve this issue is to offer to pay more taxes, stop watching tv, stop watching movies, stop going to concerts, and stop listening to the radio.  THEN... convince many more millions of people to do the same thing.

To add to this, you are making this a lot bigger of an issue that it is.  As I said, you're seeing a small group of athletes and other entertainers, making boatloads of cash and thinking this is the norm, where as it is the significant minority.  There are tons of athletes, singers, and actors/actresses, and etc, not making a boat load of cash and essentially enough to keep them comfortable for the handful of years that their working in their field.  In 5 years (from today), virtually 95% of all entertainers will be different than what they are today.  Meaning, the people of today will be working regular jobs (if their lucky), that the rest of us are.

Again... this is all common sense.  It's disappointing that some need to have that pointed out to them.

Based on your book that you just wrote, I think your taking it seriously.  

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Based on your book that you just wrote, I think your taking it seriously.  

I hear people b!tch and complain all the time about how people get paid.  It's very annoying.  If you don't like it, either tough crap or do something about it - actively - instead of wanting other people to do it and not you.  Just don't sit there and whine.

Also, the fact that you said "Its really a great question...", says that you take this point seriously too.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

At the end of the day, these government employees (again, barring an unforeseen circumstance), go home to their families for the night to have dinner and put their kids to bed.  That opportunity isn't always there for athletes and other entertainers.  Sometimes they go days, weeks, and even some times months without seeing their families.  On top of that, a lot of these entertainers are seeing physical tolls that most government employees don't/won't have to deal with.  Generally, aside from fire fighters and police officers, getting an injury and ruining their future employment forever.  A teacher or social worker don't really have to deal with that possibility on a daily basis.

Boo hoo.

Football players used to have to work a second job to make ends meet.  The outrageous salaries have only come about in the last 30 years or so.

$125 million?  Did you know that if you worked for $10 an hour--which, up until the last 30 years or so, would have been a pretty luxurious salary--you could work for the past SIX THOUSAND YEARS (basically the entire recorded history of mankind itself), and you STILL would not have made $125 million dollars?

11 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Boo hoo.

Football players used to have to work a second job to make ends meet.  The outrageous salaries have only come about in the last 30 years or so.

$125 million?  Did you know that if you worked for $10 an hour--which, up until the last 30 years or so, would have been a pretty luxurious salary--you could work for the past SIX THOUSAND YEARS (basically the entire recorded history of mankind itself), and you STILL would not have made $125 million dollars?

That's right... that's called "the free market".  People bust their butts and put their bodies and livelihoods on the line week in and week out so people like you can sit on your azz and bet on games and make money off their work.  Because of that, their industry makes billions of dollars.  Darn right they're entitled to a fair cut... and they get one.  They get 48% of the revenue generated by their work.  Good for them and props.

People always complain about money.  Who has more, who has less, who deserves more, who deserves less, blah, blah, blah... cry me a river.  You make what you earn.  If you don't like what you make, go work somewhere else.  If your field of study/choice doesn't yield a high wage, then that's your fault.  There's a 99% chance that you knew what the earning potential is of the career you set out for before you set out for it.

The best part of this is, I'm willing to bet that if your town said that they want to raise taxes to give their government employees a 25% raise, your fat azz would be moving out of your town faster than your first tax bill gets mailed to you.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

As a matter of fact, yes, I have trained as a fire fighter... and it's hard work.  Not many people have the ability to handle the hard work and tolls the job takes on your body.  It also applies to police, rescue, teachers, and social workers.  But one thing that I know is common sense, is that there are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people who do these jobs every day.  I understand that it does suck that their pays are not as high they probably deserve... well, teachers are probably overpaid, but that's a different issue.  That said, there are only a select few people in the entertainment industry that make big/real money.  I also understand that, barring something tragic, the people we're talking about can do their jobs for 30, 40, or even as many as 50 years with excellent medical benefits and pension plans (mainly because they're government workers).  I also understand that 95% of all professional athletes make about $500k per year and their careers last for about 3 years.  I also understand that after taxes and whatnot, they're only going to see about one-third of that money and then they're going to have to find another way to make a living.  On top of all of that, I understand that while these government employees do make some sacrifices, it pales in comparison to athletes and other entertainers.  At the end of the day, these government employees (again, barring an unforeseen circumstance), go home to their families for the night to have dinner and put their kids to bed.  That opportunity isn't always there for athletes and other entertainers.  Sometimes they go days, weeks, and even some times months without seeing their families.  On top of that, a lot of these entertainers are seeing physical tolls that most government employees don't/won't have to deal with.  Generally, aside from fire fighters and police officers, getting an injury and ruining their future employment forever.  A teacher or social worker don't really have to deal with that possibility on a daily basis.

On top of all of that, I also understand... and apparently you don't, that only a small few select athletes, actors, musicians, etc, see tons of money.  It's certainly not the majority and in fact, the significant minority.  To note, all of their money is coming from people like you.  You watch movies.  You watch tv shows.  You go to sporting event.  You go to concerts.  You, me, and people like us do these things routinely.  That's where their money is coming from, and rightfully so.  They're making money because they're performing a service that we are asking for.  Now, if you have a problem with them making all that money, then maybe you should make the decision to stop watching movies and tv shows.  Stop going to sporting events and concerts.  Stop being a revenue stream for these entertainers.

This, is all common sense.  Government employees (the ones we listed above), get paid via taxes.  There are approximately 3.2M teachers in this country.  Approximately 700k police officers and about 800k (paid firefighters), and another 300k EMTS (rescue squad).  Then another 700k social workers.  In total, that's over 5.5M people getting salaries, medical benefits, and retirement plans that are getting covered on a daily basis from our taxes.  To note, those people aren't the only ones we're paying for.  Because of their unions and what not, there are many millions more that are retired that we are still paying for their medical costs.  If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but you're only way to improve this issue is to offer to pay more taxes, stop watching tv, stop watching movies, stop going to concerts, and stop listening to the radio.  THEN... convince many more millions of people to do the same thing.

To add to this, you are making this a lot bigger of an issue that it is.  As I said, you're seeing a small group of athletes and other entertainers, making boatloads of cash and thinking this is the norm, where as it is the significant minority.  There are tons of athletes, singers, and actors/actresses, and etc, not making a boat load of cash and essentially enough to keep them comfortable for the handful of years that their working in their field.  In 5 years (from today), virtually 95% of all entertainers will be different than what they are today.  Meaning, the people of today will be working regular jobs (if their lucky), that the rest of us are.

Again... this is all common sense.  It's disappointing that some need to have that pointed out to them.

Nobody read that. Just sayin

A Capitalist, or a smart person would look at Romo's contract and dedicate themselves every offseason to becoming a credible broadcaster, so perhaps after their playing days they set a new standard. A Socialist, or stupid person, might whine about how unfair it is, how unfair life is...

14 minutes ago, jrokh said:

A Capitalist, or a smart person would look at Romo's contract and dedicate themselves every offseason to becoming a credible broadcaster, so perhaps after their playing days they set a new standard. A Socialist, or stupid person, might whine about how unfair it is, how unfair life is...

Exactly.

38 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Nobody read that. Just sayin

That's fine.  Apparently my quick statement earlier wasn't enough for some, so I explained it in detail.  If they don't like it, fine, that's not my problem.  I'm not just going to give them an easy out.

Not saying you... just stating why I did what I did.

I don’t have any issue with what a person gets paid, if someone wants to pay someone 1 billion dollars per year, great that’s up to that person doing the paying and the person receiving that pay.  

But what I liked about the question is, I don’t think that a professional entertainer should earn more then someone that does help make a much bigger difference in people’s every days life’s.  

Bernie doesn’t want to save the United States, he wants to own it.  

Thanks everyone, something to chat about.  

On 3/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

The best part of this is, I'm willing to bet that if your town said that they want to raise taxes to give their government employees a 25% raise, your fat azz would be moving out of your town faster than your first tax bill gets mailed to you.

"Do you care that it's not fair?
Is this the way we have to live?
I know I care
And I want an equal share
Even if it means I have to give"

--Stiff Little Fingers, Silver Lining (1981)

all I have to say is what Romo makes as a commentator on NFL broadcasts should have nothing to do with what NFL players make.

while I would argue nearly all of the NFL is overpaid.... This is not the reality we live in.  we live in a world where people spend more time/viewing time and money on NFL related stuff than they do for a whole lot of other things, so the proportionate amount of ad revenue and ticket monies needs to be divided between owners (who take the risk) and players (who put the product on the field)

When we think about the current setup, the current split is reasonable regardless of whether you feel the players are overpaid (or not)

As Romo is just part of a delivery method for broadcasts and he educates fans on certain concepts he plays a valuable role for the sport and for the broadcaster. 

but what he does is different from what NFL players do.  if NBC (or fox or any other broadcaster) decides to pay him a pile of cash because it allows them to do a better job of selling the game and improve their TV ratings..... that's their choice to do so.  It has nothing to do with the NFL players or what they deserve to get.   The factors that determine value are different.

its a stupid argument.