Sign in to follow this  
Torn

2020 Draft Discussion

This thread can/should be used for:

* General draft discussion/questions

* Mocking and praising other picks; complaining about getting sniped 

* Letting folks know if you'll be away for a while or if you'll need a proxy for an upcoming pick

* Letting folks know about players or picks you'd like to offer for trade

Do NOT use this thread to:

* Post trades - start a separate thread

* Non-draft related topics (ex. rate my other team, suggestions for items for league to vote on, etc.) - start a separate thread

Thanks!

Smackdown has the best team, looks like he will win the league again...

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Smackdown has the best team, looks like he will win the league again...

Many may not understand this, but the old timers will...  🙂   The kiss of death. At least you put it out there for a retired manager.

Just now, Torn said:

Many may not understand this, but the old timers will...  🙂   The kiss of death. At least you put it out there for a retired manager.

He sure gave me the kiss of death every year...  Of course when Smackdown left, I think you picked up that mantel to curse me...

No wonder I never won in this league...

THE DRAFT IS OFFICIALLY OPEN! All keepers have been added to the draft sheet and the Yahoo site. If you had 2 picks in a round, I placed your keeper in the later slot.

Good luck! 

Strombn/Warhawks - Please kick us off whenever your are ready!

Some reminders re: the draft:

Ghost and/or I will text you when you are up. Apologies for the annoyance if (when) we both ping you at once. 

Proxy whenever possible to keep things moving along. Happy to help, but I realize some "think time" is needed for some picks and we'll also have some real life delays...

Be careful with the spreadsheet - only use Column D! 

Let's get the draft party started!

TalentScout is shagging balls for the Mariners BP this morning. He's out of the loop from 9:30am-12:30pm PACIFIC time today. We'll be on hold for a bit for his round 2 pick.

I had been texting with him and he asked me to proxy his pick 

I'm going to hold us up when it gets to me. Heading out in a few mins, will be driving for a while and then distracted for some time after I arrive. Sorry...

Sent Torn a list if it gets back to me early

Happy to get 2020 AL Cy Young winner Tyler Glasnow :P

14 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Happy to get 2020 AL Cy Young winner Tyler Glasnow :P

And to think I had him as a 25th round keeper heading into last year's draft and let him go in favor of Scooter f'n Gennett. 🤮

• Haha 1

Going awol for a little. Not sure what route I want to go so not going to proxy but will select by 6

Sorry, guys - was driving and couldn't reply.  Give me 5-10 mins...

Crap. Was almost going to take Anderson at 10.1

These are the most painful rounds for sure (10-20). Constant snipes, heavy self-debate on who may last and who won't, scrambling to get the last "dependable" option for a weak/empty position, lots of keepers causing longer wait times for your next pick, etc. 

Stressful, sometimes rewarding, sometimes annoying as hell …  🤪  

• Like 1

yeah for sure. i wouldnt say I lost anyone I NEEDED to have but guys like Lux and Carlos Martinez were on my short list for sure... So was the previously mentioned Nick Anderson... and whenever Jesus Luzardo got drafted, I believe I was debating between he and Liam Hendriks. 

either way I got McKay who was a target of mine...

Some might say I have TOO many Rays..... yeah? well? so what!

• Like 1

I was wanting Lux badly and think Maeda will thrive in the AL, think Lux will start off in the minors but he'll be back in the Majors soon!

yeah, I was really hoping to be on the front end of the closer run - just waited a round too long.  Giles, Igalsias, Workman, Neris, Anderson, Kimbrel, Bradley - all went between picks and I didn't even have a keeper in there.  Targets disappearing fast. 

Meanwhile - will anyone be able to stop TORN?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gratefulted said:

I was wanting Lux badly and think Maeda will thrive in the AL, think Lux will start off in the minors but he'll be back in the Majors soon!

I hope you’re right about Lux.  I feel I’ve  overpayed a little, but I guess we’ll see.

1 minute ago, strombn said:

I hope you’re right about Lux.  I feel I’ve  overpayed a little, but I guess we’ll see.

They're just doing what they do to rookies so they can keep him around an extra year for control reasons

30 minutes ago, strombn said:

you may have overpaid, but you needed to get him.  He was on at least 2 short lists and my guess is several more.

absolutely. Lux was my 12.1 and i would have rolled the dice on McKay lasting to the late 13th

Lots of Angels at the 12/13 turn!  Don't think I've ever seen 4 guys from the same team get selected in order like that.

On a side note, Kysar/TalentScout, feeling any effects (not personally, I hope) with the Coronavirus craziness? Washington State has been the hardest hit so far... Any movement restrictions or noticeable impacts to daily life?

I had a cruise to Italy/Greece planned in mid-April, but had to cancel it. That sucked, but luckily had the insurance. Even so, still dealing with some $ loss. If I went, my company said I'd have to stay out of work for 14 days upon return. Couldn't deal with that.

I've had a cough for the last 5/6 weeks.  I've been to the doc, he says not to worry.  My parents and wife's parents are sick - my mom has pneumonia, my inlaws have flu like symptoms (both are feeling much better now than a couple days ago).  Everyone has been to the doc, none of the docs have told us that we qualify to be tested for Covid19 (we've all asked).  None of our docs have told us to self quarantine though all of us now are at a minimum social distancing ourselves.  Flat out, there are many more cases than are known because it isn't being tested for widely - and as they keep telling us 80% of cases are mild:  we haven't even begun looking for those yet.  They are doing what they can and I've been relatively impressed by local responses:  first responders, local health workers, state and local response.

I didn't go to the Sounders match over the weekend - in the 11 years a season ticket holder - I've missed around 15 games  Traffic is a TON lighter after Amazon & Microsoft told everyone to work from home if possible.

My wife works in bio-tech -> her old lab (had it not been moved out of state) would have been tapped to work on this - do some of the testing.

There is a massive discrepancy in reactions.  Some are wondering what the big deal is, others are treating it like the apocalypse.  Costco's around the area are out of toilet paper, water and rice.  You can't buy hand sanitizer anywhere.  

7 hours ago, Torn said:

On a side note, Kysar/TalentScout, feeling any effects (not personally, I hope) with the Coronavirus craziness? Washington State has been the hardest hit so far... Any movement restrictions or noticeable impacts to daily life?

I had a cruise to Italy/Greece planned in mid-April, but had to cancel it. That sucked, but luckily had the insurance. Even so, still dealing with some $ loss. If I went, my company said I'd have to stay out of work for 14 days upon return. Couldn't deal with that.

Torn - you couldn't pay me enough to go on a cruise right now.  There is no guarantee that you won't turn into the next 'monster ship' or 'floating death trap'.  At this point, there is a ton of uncertainty about when and whether there will be travel restrictions.  Italy basically just quarantined everyone in Lombardi until April.  Both sets of parents are trying to figure out if they are traveling at the end of the month - Hawaii and Fiji.  One runs a travel safety blog - they aren't worried about getting to Fiji or their safety there.  They are worried they won't be able to get back or that some of other idiot will do something to put them into lockdown in Fiji (airport, hotel, etc).

7 hours ago, kysar_soze said:

I've had a cough for the last 5/6 weeks.  I've been to the doc, he says not to worry.  My parents and wife's parents are sick - my mom has pneumonia, my inlaws have flu like symptoms (both are feeling much better now than a couple days ago).  Everyone has been to the doc, none of the docs have told us that we qualify to be tested for Covid19 (we've all asked).  None of our docs have told us to self quarantine though all of us now are at a minimum social distancing ourselves.  Flat out, there are many more cases than are known because it isn't being tested for widely - and as they keep telling us 80% of cases are mild:  we haven't even begun looking for those yet.  They are doing what they can and I've been relatively impressed by local responses:  first responders, local health workers, state and local response.

I didn't go to the Sounders match over the weekend - in the 11 years a season ticket holder - I've missed around 15 games  Traffic is a TON lighter after Amazon & Microsoft told everyone to work from home if possible.

My wife works in bio-tech -> her old lab (had it not been moved out of state) would have been tapped to work on this - do some of the testing.

There is a massive discrepancy in reactions.  Some are wondering what the big deal is, others are treating it like the apocalypse.  Costco's around the area are out of toilet paper, water and rice.  You can't buy hand sanitizer anywhere.  

Man, that's crazy. I'm shocked that they are not looking deeper into your Mom's pneumonia case. That's bad mojo and certainly worthy of testing ...

I agree re: the reactions. I don't want to get political, but the response has been extreme in both directions (a la current politics). It's either "nothing to worry about" or "time to empty the grocery stores and go to the bunker". The strange part is that the medical industry is in the middle and communicating sensible precautions, but they are muted by the extremes.

I guess there is the benefit, albeit a strange one, that traffic is down. :) 

14 minutes ago, Torn said:

Man, that's crazy. I'm shocked that they are not looking deeper into your Mom's pneumonia case. That's bad mojo and certainly worthy of testing ...

I agree re: the reactions. I don't want to get political, but the response has been extreme in both directions (a la current politics). It's either "nothing to worry about" or "time to empty the grocery stores and go to the bunker". The strange part is that the medical industry is in the middle and communicating sensible precautions, but they are muted by the extremes.

I guess there is the benefit, albeit a strange one, that traffic is down. :) 

I went to Cosco and couldn't get near the aisle where the toilet paper was, went to the local grocery store for that stuff. buy hand sanitizer stock!

I agree with what kysar said but I was gone for 10 days and got home over the weekend so I only saw yesterday. 

To gratefulted I hope you waited to buy whatever stock it was. Absolute bloodbath today. 

41 minutes ago, gratefulted said:

I went to Cosco and couldn't get near the aisle where the toilet paper was, went to the local grocery store for that stuff. buy hand sanitizer stock!

They won’t let me list hand sanitizer on eBay. People were making a killing. Selling 6 packs for $150 and single bottle for 25-35

19 minutes ago, TalentScout said:

To gratefulted I hope you waited to buy whatever stock it was. Absolute bloodbath today. 

Not good at waiting, Albertsons had plenty

this draft halt has been worse than the stock market halt....:mellow:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

this draft halt has been worse than the stock market halt....:mellow:

Pinged Varga earlier - shows as delivered, but not read. Will ping him again in a few...

• Like 1

Harry is aware he's up (rd 14) - needs about 15 mins...