Sign in to follow this  
Torn

2020 Draft Discussion

Anyone willing to relieve a short list outside of White Wonder?  I'll be away for a couple hours

4 minutes ago, gratefulted said:

Anyone willing to relieve a short list outside of White Wonder?  I'll be away for a couple hours

I can take it...  I will be around for about an hour...

4 minutes ago, posty said:

I can take it...  I will be around for about an hour...

Whoops

19 hours ago, Torn said:

Ugh...  Just heard that MLB is cancelling ST and the first 2 weeks of the season at a minimum. Sigh. It's the right thing to do, but it sucks.

MLS, NBA, NHL, March Madness also shut down. 

Definitely the right thing to do, but it still sucks.  You guys know how much I like the Brewers, but I am 100x more crazy about the Milwaukee Bucks, who were having an all time great season.  I am truly disappointed by this.  And then I feel bad for the high school and college athletes that won't be able to complete their season.  Take someone like Dayton.  They were having the best season in the school's history and won't be able to finish it out.  Now, their top player will move on to the NBA, and his teammates will always have to wonder "what if".    A close friend's son plays highschool basketball here in Wisconsin.  They are the defending champs this year.  He came off the bench last season.  He is a starter this year, but the state tournament is now canceled, and their star player is off to Duke next season.  

I know for many this is life and death, and that obviously trumps sports. So I hope I am not sounding insensitive.  But sports is a huge part of life for so many.  😥

43 minutes ago, TheGodfather414 said:

Definitely the right thing to do, but it still sucks.  You guys know how much I like the Brewers, but I am 100x more crazy about the Milwaukee Bucks, who were having an all time great season.  I am truly disappointed by this.  And then I feel bad for the high school and college athletes that won't be able to complete their season.  Take someone like Dayton.  They were having the best season in the school's history and won't be able to finish it out.  Now, their top player will move on to the NBA, and his teammates will always have to wonder "what if".    A close friend's son plays highschool basketball here in Wisconsin.  They are the defending champs this year.  He came off the bench last season.  He is a starter this year, but the state tournament is now canceled, and their star player is off to Duke next season.  

I know for many this is life and death, and that obviously trumps sports. So I hope I am not sounding insensitive.  But sports is a huge part of life for so many.  😥

Then you get stories like Hartford had their conference championship game scheduled for Saturday...  If they won, it would be the school's first trip to the NCAA tournament...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, posty said:

Then you get stories like Hartford had their conference championship game scheduled for Saturday...  If they won, it would be the school's first trip to the NCAA tournament...

Exactly!  I feel so bad for those kids. 

Yes, this is devastating. The impact to our economy, our health care systems, travel, the upcoming elections, the general attitudes of our already fractured/polarized politics, work life, home life, school life and our hobbies/entertainment are all in jeopardy due to this virus. 

On a less serious note, what will a bunch of guys like us do without sports? I don't even know if there are channels that show anything else.  🙂  Anyone know?

1 hour ago, Torn said:

Yes, this is devastating. The impact to our economy, our health care systems, travel, the upcoming elections, the general attitudes of our already fractured/polarized politics, work life, home life, school life and our hobbies/entertainment are all in jeopardy due to this virus. 

On a less serious note, what will a bunch of guys like us do without sports? I don't even know if there are channels that show anything else.  🙂  Anyone know?

Asking the hard questions.  Let's crowdsource a good list of viewing options and avoid anything scary or post apocalyptic because that seems to be our reality now.  

I will start with some classics.  

How I Met Your Mother

Seinfeld

Arrested Development

Currently Tacoma PD is pretty funny.

Walking Dead

16 minutes ago, TalentScout said:

yeah, no

Still a great show. Well not so much current seasons but the first 5 or so were good. 

but fiiiiiine

- Impractical Jokers

- The Witcher 

- Ozark

- Ray Donovan 

- Peaky Blinders

- Animal Kingdom

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Still a great show. Well not so much current seasons but the first 5 or so were good. 

but fiiiiiine

- Impractical Jokers

- The Witcher 

- Ozark

- Ray Donovan 

- Peaky Blinders

- Animal Kingdom

Thanks. I tried walking dead a few years ago. Not my cup of tea. 

I'll break out my Green Acres, Get Smart and Gunsmoke DVDs

+1 for The Witcher  - great show, especially if you were a Game of Thrones fan

5 minutes ago, Torn said:

+1 for The Witcher  - great show, especially if you were a Game of Thrones fan

Or played the video games 

1 hour ago, TalentScout said:

Thanks. I tried walking dead a few years ago. Not my cup of tea. 

I saw 3 minutes of one Walking Dead episode when I sat down in my son's room (he was 18 at the time, ...23 now). Yuk, ...it took me a couple of weeks to get over it. :unsure:

Listen to Grateful Ted on the Green Acres, Get Smart, and Gunsmoke--awesome oldies, ...especially Agent 86--"Would you believe it!?"

Here are others I have seen over the most recent decade: I watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul

Atypical

Nurse Jackie

Living With Yourself

Ozark

Documentaries on Chernobyl

Building the Chernobyl Megadome

Goliath

You

Hulu has the Handmaids Tale

Also some Disney Plus Documentaries-ALL of them on the National Geographic Channel

Ones covering Antarctica, Stonehenge, Easter Island--interesting, ...but if watched late, ...will likely put you to sleep.

You wake up and----POOF! Baseball season has re-started!:banana:

You have to like the zombie, end of world genre to appreciate walking dead. True story, I went to a friends house to watch game of thrones and they were watching walking dead and the 5 minutes I saw made me say I was never going to watch it was so bad. I was sick and bored a year later and started binging it and got hooked. 

breaking bad is good but overrated. Handmaids tale is meh

I’ll upvote Ozark, The Wire, The Witcher, and Peaky Blinders.  Also, doesn’t matter which episode, I can sit and watch Impractical Jokers any time.  I like Walking Dead as well, but wish I held off on watching it until now because it would be so much better binging it.

I’ve started rewatching Curb your Enthusiasm from Season 1 (might like it more than Seinfeld at this point). Altered Carbon was a good watch as well.

What a crazy day/week here. For those who don’t know, I work for a 3 hospital health system (2 hospitals in Philly, 1 in suburbs in the heart of Montgomery county). At the moment Montgomery County has almost half (18 of 41) of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in Pennsylvania. Surprisingly, no confirmed cases to this point at any of the hospitals.  (Lack of testing probably has a big part in that though).

Anyway, we went into lockdown mode at noon and instituted a 0 visitor policy with very few exceptions (Hospice patients get no more than 2 designated visitors, only partners/husbands of moms coming in to give birth). Any visitor in the hospital at the time was allowed to stay, but no re-entry if they leave and no new visitors allowed.As Director of Patient experience and owner of the Visitor policy, it was up to me to turn people away or tell them they weren’t allowed to come back in. That was not great, but most were understanding.

SO FAR, nobody I know has any signs of infection, but I’m in self quarantine (hyper precautions in place) downstairs for the foreseeable future while my wife and kids are upstairs. 

I’ve got a, a stocked mini fridge, microwave and my Roku, before I have to go back after a four day weekend (unless things get worse and I’m called in)

All PA Schools are closed officially now. We pulled our kids the other day. We’ll see how these next few days and weeks go.

I’ve seen the jokers comedy tour twice now. Prudential center and Radio City. Good show once. Same material so not worth a second time

Was going stir crazy at home and braved a trip to the supermarket. No fresh meat, water, bread, paper products, milk, fresh vegetables or fruit, cleaning products.

One exception was that they had dozens of corned beefs. Must have ordered piles of them for St. Patrick’s day. 

Lots of pasta, frozen pizza and stuff wrapped in tortilla wraps in my near future. Also have the family eating extra cheese to conserve on the toilet paper... 💩

John Oliver's This week tonight (political but funny)

+1 to impractical jokers

+1 Arrested Development

+1 How I met your mother

+1 Tacoma FD (same guys as super troopers)

The Expanse is REALLY good

Lost in Space is a decent remake

The Good Place - forkin good

Better off Ted - warning only one season but so good

The Man in the High Castle

Jack Ryan

Three Sheets - drinking and travel

Breaking Bad is number one all time for me, and The Wire is a close second.  As for current shows, Ozark is a very good and the 3rd season starts in a couple weeks.  I just started a new show Hunters on Amazon prime.  It looks pretty good a few episodes in.  

Screw the boob tube, found 6 mountain climbing stories on line at Barnes & Noble, this'll keep me occupied