Sign in to follow this  
HTH

Coronavirus prevention

Posted by a virologist:

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources. The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1. NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2. Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc… Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3. Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4. Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5. Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been. Rub your hands vigorously - friction has been shown to be as effective as soap!

6. Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home’s entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can’t immediately wash your hands.

7. If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1. Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2. Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3. Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4. Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY “cold-like” symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available. I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email.

Good luck to all of us!

James Robb, MD FCAP

Denny Hamlin if more dangerous than the chinese coronavirus. 

Since I can't find hand sanitizer for my staff, I am putting a bottle of Vodka on every one's desks.  

55 minutes ago, HTH said:

2. Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

Every doctor I've seen has specifically said NOT to do this.   So the fact that this guy is saying to do it makes me question the rest of his recommendations other than the obvious ones everyone has been saying (wash your hands, etc...). 

1 hour ago, HTH said:

4. Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY “cold-like” symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pack-COLD-EEZE-Cold-Remedy-Lozenges-Cherry-18-ea/287536462

31 minutes ago, Strike said:

Every doctor I've seen has specifically said NOT to do this.   So the fact that this guy is saying to do it makes me question the rest of his recommendations other than the obvious ones everyone has been saying (wash your hands, etc...). 

They are correct. It’s not preventing anything. Makes me question this “virologist”. 

Also, hand sanitizer is only good for on the go for about 3-5 times of use before you need to wash your hands. One travel bottle will be fine but you should really be washing your hands. You can touch things like door knobs and such with your hands. Just wash them afterwards and don’t touch your face. It’s really not that hard to take precautions against it 

From Consumer Reports:

These Common Household Products Can Destroy the Novel Coronavirus

CR shows you how to use them and tells you which products to stay away from

By Perry Santanachote

March 09, 2020

5.7K SHARES

News of stores running out of hand-sanitizing gels and chlorine wipes may have you worried about how to protect your family at home as COVID-19 spreads. But plain old hand soap will go a long way.

“It isn’t possible to disinfect every surface you touch throughout your day,” says Stephen Thomas, M.D., chief of infectious diseases and director of global health at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse. “The planet is covered with bacteria and viruses, and we’re constantly in contact with these surfaces, so hand-washing is still your best defense against COVID-19.” 

You need to amp up your typical cleaning routine only if someone in the household exhibits signs and symptoms of a respiratory infection, or if you live in an area with known cases of COVID-19. In that scenario, Thomas says, “Clean high-traffic areas that get touched frequently, such as kitchen counters and bathroom faucets, three times a day with a product that kills viruses.”

The good news is that coronaviruses are some of the easiest types of viruses to kill with the appropriate product, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. “It has an envelope around it that allows it to merge with other cells to infect them,” explains Thomas. “If you disrupt that coating, the virus can’t do its job.”

Even if you can't get your hands on hand sanitizer or Clorox wipes, below are a number of cleaning products you probably have around the house already, and that stores are more likely to have in stock, that are effective in deactivating the novel coronavirus. We also tell you the products that don’t work, and when you can expect retailers to stock back up on cleaning supplies.

Cleaning Products That Destroy Coronavirus

Soap and Water
Just the friction from scrubbing with soap and water can break the coronavirus’s protective envelope. “Scrub like you’ve got sticky stuff on the surface and you really need to get it off,” says Richard Sachleben, an organic chemist and member of the American Chemical Society. Discard the towel or leave it in a bowl of soapy water for a while to destroy any virus particles that may have survived. 

Bleach
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a diluted bleach solution (⅓ cup bleach per 1 gallon of water or 4 teaspoons bleach per 1 quart of water) for virus disinfection. Wear gloves while using bleach, and never mix it with anything except water. (The only exception is when doing laundry with detergent.)

“Bleach works great against viruses,” Sachleben says. Just don’t keep the solution for longer than a few days because bleach will degrade certain plastic containers.

Bleach can also corrode metal over time, so Sachleben recommends that people not get into the habit of cleaning their faucets and stainless steel products with it. Because bleach is harsh for many countertops as well, you should rinse surfaces with water after disinfecting to prevent discoloration or damage to the surface. 

Isopropyl Alcohol
Alcohol solutions with at least 70 percent alcohol are effective against coronavirus. Do not dilute the alcohol solution. Alcohol is generally safe for all surfaces but can discolor some plastics, Sachleben says.

Hydrogen Peroxide
According to the CDC, household (3 percent) hydrogen peroxide is effective in deactivating rhinovirus, the virus that causes the common cold, within 6 to 8 minutes of exposure. Rhinovirus is more difficult to destroy than coronaviruses, so hydrogen peroxide should be able to break down coronavirus in less time. Pour it undiluted into a spray bottle and spray it on the surface to be cleaned, but let it sit on the surface for several minutes. 

Hydrogen peroxide is not corrosive, so it’s okay to use it on metal surfaces. But similar to bleach, it can discolor fabrics if you accidentally get in on your clothes. “It’s great for getting into hard-to-reach crevices,” Sachleben says. “You can pour it on the area and you don’t have to wipe it off because it essentially decomposes into oxygen and water.”

What Not to Use Against Coronavirus

Homemade Hand Sanitizer
You’re probably seeing all sorts of hand sanitizer recipes floating around your social media and the internet, but Thomas, at Upstate Medical in Syracuse, advises against making your own. “People don’t know the right ratios to use, and the internet won’t give you the right answer,” he warns. “Not only can you hurt yourself, but it could give you a false sense of security.” 

Sachleben seconds that advice. “I’m a professional chemist, and I don’t mix my own disinfectant products at home,” he says. “Companies spend a bunch of time and money to pay chemists specifically to formulate hand sanitizers that work and that are safe. If you make it yourself, how can you know if it’s stable or if it works?”

Vodka
There are widely circulated recipes on the internet using vodka to combat coronavirus. A couple of vodka makers, including Tito’s and Smirnoff, have already come out with statements telling their customers that their 80-proof product does not contain enough ethyl alcohol (40 percent compared with the 70 percent required) to kill the coronavirus. 

Distilled White Vinegar
Disinfection recommendations using vinegar are popular online, but there is no evidence that they are effective against coronavirus. (Read about the 9 things you should never clean with vinegar.)

When Retailers Expect More Supplies

Wondering when you’ll be able to get your hands on hand sanitizer, Lysol wipes, Clorox sprays, etc., at your local store? CR spoke to major chains, including Costco, CVS, Kroger, Stop & Shop, and Walgreens. They said that they are seeing temporary shortages and are restocking as quickly as their suppliers allow (though CVS says it is not seeing a shortage of disinfectant wipes and sprays). Kroger and Stop & Shop have instituted purchase limits. 

But your best bet, says Burt Flickinger, managing director at Strategic Resource Group, a retail and consumer goods consulting firm, is to go to the warehouse stores and large grocery chains. 

"They have their own distribution warehouses and constantly replenish their stock," he explains. He adds that Walmart has one of the best distribution chains in the country and is prepared for natural disasters like tornadoes or hurricanes. In other words, their system is already in place, so they don't have to scramble to meet demand.

Flickinger says the best time to shop is 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., because the shelves are typically restocked overnight. He anticipates that supplies from Clorox, 3M, and Procter & Gamble will be replenished the soonest.

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

James Robb is a pathologist who was one of the first to study Coronavirus's with many published articles to his name.

The below link is from the 1979.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0042682279904689

It makes me wonder about the Zinc now.

So.  Are you saying he's not wrong about the point I took exception to?  If not, why shouldn't I be skeptical of other things he said?

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Links please

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

So.  Are you saying he's not wrong about the point I took exception to?  If not, why shouldn't I be skeptical of other things he said?

You are correct and he is correct.

There is the very real risk of mask shortages. People should not be hoarding masks at this point as this puts our healthcare workers in poor situations in the future.

He even stated that the mask will not prevent the virus, it is to prevent you from touching your face.

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You are correct and he is correct.

There is the very real risk of mask shortages. People should not be hoarding masks at this point as this puts our healthcare workers in poor situations in the future.

He even stated that the mask will not prevent the virus, it is to prevent you from touching your face.

Read the link I just posted.  The touching your face thing is BS too.  He is not even slightly correct.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Is it that hard to learn how to use Google?

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

Go fvck yourself.  

9 minutes ago, Strike said:

17 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

James Robb is a pathologist who was one of the first to study Coronavirus's with many published articles to his name.

The below link is from the 1979.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0042682279904689

It makes me wonder about the Zinc now.

I was looking for a link regarding the zinc.

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

Go fvck yourself.  

Then why did you quote me?  I said nothing about zinc.

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Read the link I just posted.  The touching your face thing is BS too. 

That article has been circulating widely now. It was directed towards his friends and family and was not meant to go viral. I assume that a doctor has lots of doctor friends and that they are trained to work with the masks.

I agree with you, his advice regarding masks is not what is recommended for the general population.

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

From his email to his friends/family, point number 4.

Just now, Strike said:

Then why did you quote me?  I said nothing about zinc.

You replied to a post where zinc was mentioned.  I incorrectly assumed you were discussing that as what you took exception to.  I asked for a link as I could not find information regarding zinc and the Coronavirus.  You threw a hissy fit.

all good.

Just now, Alias Detective said:

You replied to a post where zinc was mentioned.  I incorrectly assumed you were discussing that as what you took exception to.  I asked for a link as I could not find information regarding zinc and the Coronavirus.  You threw a hissy fit.

all good.

The post you quoted of mine is not the one where I replied to the post containing a zinc reference.  The post you quoted was well before that and had nothing to do with zinc.  It's really ok to just admit you were wrong and apologize.  But you won't because geek club lol.

Some local schools are probably going to go digital for a few weeks...cancelled classes friday so the teachers can start making online lessons...

21 minutes ago, Strike said:

The post you quoted of mine is not the one where I replied to the post containing a zinc reference.  The post you quoted was well before that and had nothing to do with zinc.  It's really ok to just admit you were wrong and apologize.  But you won't because geek club lol.

Apologize for asking for a link?  Again, go fvck yourself.  Your reaction to being asked for a link shows how much of a d!ck you are.  

15 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Some local schools are probably going to go digital for a few weeks...cancelled classes friday so the teachers can start making online lessons...

We are digital for today only. Next week is spring break and they are advising people to pack like they won’t be coming back. Take text books and whatnot cause they might do online classes for all of them 

Just now, Alias Detective said:

There would only be on slap.  Ima tough guy.

Ooooohhhhhhhh Shhhhhh11111ttttt!

14 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Apologize for asking for a link?  Again, go fvck yourself.  Your reaction to being asked for a link shows how much of a d!ck you are.  

Your reaction to a suggestion that you learn how to use a tool everyone else mastered a decade ago shows how much  of a retard you are.

13 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Are you proud of this reply?  

Why wouldn't I be?  I tried to offer constructive advice that would help you in life, while at the same time fulfilling your request for a link.  And then you were an a-hole about it.  And it turned out you'd replied to the wrong post of mine anyways, further proving your retardedness.