Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Whats your Corona Virus Impact prediction?

Are you doom and gloom? Are you more we will get over it?

I think the virus will continue to spread and we will not be able to stop it at least for maybe 3-4 months.   

The economy will continue to drop....and it will be 3 years or so to recover.

We will hit a very deep recession.  

But.....I do think we will get past it.   I have zero to base that on, except a gut feeling.

Hopefully this brings about some major immigration reform as in NO MORE IMMIGRATION. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

But.....I do think we will get past it.   I have zero to base that on, except a gut feeling.

What's the alternative?  We all die?  That's bit dire considering the 1% mortality rate of this thing.

Life will go on.  The market is gonna take an enormous beating.  Which is good, because then I can buy the dip.

The financial death toll will far exceed anything the virus actually does. 

Until further notice, I'm no more worried about Corvid 19 than I am the regular flu.

The Black Plague wiped out 25 million during the 14th Century - mankind survived.........we will survive this too.

If anything, I hope this brings awareness to basic, common sense personal hygiene. It's embarrassing that grown ass adults have to be told to wash their hands, cover their face when coughing, use hand sanitizer, etc....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strike said:

What's the alternative?  We all die?  That's bit dire considering the 1% mortality rate of this thing.

I don't know.  Keep in mind the flu virus can mutate.  If this one does, what does it mutate into?  A more severe strain where the mortality rate increases?  Maybe a less severe one.  Who the heck knows?  

The mortality rate you are quoting by the way is incorrect.  As of this morning there were 127,863 confirmed cases.  Of those there have been    4,718 deaths.  That's over 3.5%.   While not earth shattering, it is more accurate than your number

I think we're going to see a lot of elderly and others with compromised immune systems dying at a pretty high rate.  The rest of the population will be slightly affected and go on with their lives.

2 minutes ago, BLS said:

Life will go on.  The market is gonna take an enormous beating.  Which is good, because then I can buy the dip.

Damn right...this is how the rich get richer.  They dont panic

Just now, supermike80 said:

The mortality rate you are quoting by the way is incorrect.  As of this morning there were 127,863 confirmed cases.  Of those there have been    4,718 deaths.  That's over 3.5%.   While not earth shattering, it is more accurate than your number

Would love to know the breakdown - how many were elderly? How many with pre-existing health conditions?

Just now, Cruzer said:

Would love to know the breakdown - how many were elderly? How many with pre-existing health conditions?

I imagine that info is out there somewhere.

My understanding, and I think we have all heard this, is that 80% of the affected feel "mild" symptoms

Just now, Cruzer said:

I've been seeing all kinds of charts covering info like like on social media.  Whether it's accurate or not, I can't tell you.

4 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

The majority of deaths are those over 60.

Countries that put lockdowns in place have a much lower infection rate, but it's literally a race.

The infection has a doubling rate of 4 days.  So something needs to be done now.

8 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I heard that nobody under 30 has died world wide (dunno if true) (radio)

I also heard that the AVERAGE age of death in the US is 81

8 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I heard that nobody under 30 has died world wide (dunno if true) (radio)

I also heard that the AVERAGE age of death in the US is 81

16 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've been seeing all kinds of charts covering info like like on social media.  Whether it's accurate or not, I can't tell you.

17 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Edit, countries like Iran and the US are skewing the results obviously since we are not testing everyone. A better source would be Germany or South Korea, however I do not know how to break their numbers out.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BLS said:

So something needs to be done now.

I keep hearing this, what does this actually mean?

Outside of basic/general hygiene, what else needs to be done - shut down airports, suspend air travel, halt all mail/courier deliveries, close schools, shut down amusement parks, close hotels, suspend church services, etc...?

I think the virus will mutate and kill 98% of the population.  We'll enter a dystopian society in which the only law is the pistol on your hip.

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

I think the virus will mutate and kill 98% of the population.  We'll enter a dystopian society in which the only law is the pistol on your hip.

and Biden wants to take those too

As for the original question, I have no idea what will happen. It depends on the path that we take over the next few weeks to a month.

as said above... the economic and social fall out will be far greater than the health... that does not mean it is not very serious 

38 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I don't know.  Keep in mind the flu virus can mutate.  If this one does, what does it mutate into?  A more severe strain where the mortality rate increases?  Maybe a less severe one.  Who the heck knows?  

1% is the estimated U.S. mortality rate per Dr. Fauci.  I assume we're talking U.S. in this thread.  I'll take his word.  He should know.

Just now, Strike said:

1% is the estimated U.S. mortality rate per Dr. Fauci.  I assume we're talking U.S. in this thread.  I'll take his word.  He should know.

Right now it is at 3.5%. So Dr. Fauci can say what he wants, the facts are the facts..Right now.

I'm curious what the mortality rate truly means.  As in, how does that change the approach we take to it?

If a significant number of healthy individuals get infected and none of them die, the mortality rate goes way down.  If a bunch of old focks on a cruise ship get infected and 25% die, the mortality rate goes way up...

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Pretty sure we are headed towards walking dead territory.   Just glad I got extra ammo for my boom stick.   

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

Pretty sure we are headed towards walking dead territory.   Just glad I got extra ammo for my boom stick.   

I'm still working, so I have a lot more ammo than the geeks who already blew their wads a couple times today.  

5 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I'm curious what the mortality rate truly means.  As in, how does that change the approach we take to it?

If a significant number of healthy individuals get infected and none of them die, the mortality rate goes way down.  If a bunch of old focks on a cruise ship get infected and 25% die, the mortality rate goes way up...

This!

Looking at it from a glass is half full perspective, since the world is going to end I guess can start drinking and smoking again.   :bandana:

Reported incidents peak at the end of March, stabilize through the beginning of April and start to decline around tax day. By Memorial Day people won’t be talking about the virus, just the economic effect it has laid upon us. 

Assisted by the MSM, the Coronavirus is all that Biden will campaign on.  Trump loses reelection and for the first time in her history, the USA will have a president who can't remember his own name.

It will be worse than a normal flu in terms of killing elderly but not something that causes a huge amount of deaths.  Democrats will pin everything on Trump.  Trump will call them nuts and argue his travel bans and walls would've helped and argue the democrats' blockade of his plans helped kill people.  The democrat attacks on Trump over the Coronavirus fails because voters still remember how democrats blamed a hurricane on Bush and remember how that was kinda stupid and don't want to go down that road again.  The whole Katrina-Bush debacle has inoculated Trump from getting blamed for a virus from China.  So China gets blamed for it all and Trump wins a second term.  In fact, this kinda backfires and by november, the public is blaming the democrats and corporate america for overreacting to the outbreak.   The public actually blames the democrats and MSM for an economic slump.

• Haha 1

Interviewer: What's your prediction for the fight?
Clubber Lang: My prediction?
Interviewer: Yes, your prediction.
Clubber Lang: Pain!.

• Haha 1

Do you all remember  when the Swine flu hit the United States and 12,000 Americans died and the MSM just crushed and badmouthed Obama?

Yeah, me either...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people are staying in (roads/traffic has been great).  I work with about 40+ restaurants and all have been impacted with lower sales (including take out).

30 minutes ago, posty said:

Do you all remember  when the Swine flu hit the United States and 12,000 Americans died and the MSM just crushed and badmouthed Obama?

Yeah, me either...

Hell no they didn't. All was fine. What's over a half of a million people dying compared to this massive 4000 total with the "Trump"virus? :dunno:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.

We have already been trending towards isolation in shopping, movies, restaurants, work. This will only exacerbate the trend.

how many people have you talked to that said that they either can't or won't afford to go to a live sporting event long before this?

in short, I don't think it's going to change things as much as accelerate and exacerbate existing trendlines.

13 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

We have already been trending towards isolation in shopping, movies, restaurants, work. This will only exacerbate the trend.

how many people have you talked to that said that they either can't or won't afford to go to a live sporting event long before this?

in short, I don't think it's going to change things as much as accelerate and exacerbate existing trendlines.

I agree.  I bet Walmart is close to being nationally ready for online ordering and curbside pickup and in many stores are now also implementing unlimited grocery deliveries for $98 a year.  I use the curbside pickup constantly and bet this causes other customers to look into it as well.  I also always have Sams Club pull my orders.  As this becomes more common I would wager that someday many grocery stores won't even allow the customers inside.

3 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Hell no they didn't. All was fine. What's over a half of a million people dying compared to this massive 4000 total with the "Trump"virus? :dunno:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.

Mentioning this would get you banned for whataboutism.