Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Coronavirus after effects on Society

When this ends, and it will end, what changes will society see?

Some things will speed up the shift society is already moving toward

More work from home

More Online schooling

Cashiers will be replaced by self checkout

other possible changes

More people getting flu shots and vaccinations 

Less close contact with strangers

Avoiding people with coughs, sneezing, runny nose, etc

People choosing to self quarantine for the flu, colds, etc

Nationalization of certain industries 

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

When this ends, and it will end, what changes will society see?

Some things will speed up the shift society is already moving toward

More work from home

More Online schooling

Cashiers will be replaced by self checkout

other possible changes

More people getting flu shots and vaccinations 

Less close contact with strangers

Avoiding people with coughs, sneezing, runny nose, etc

People choosing to self quarantine for the flu, colds, etc

Nationalization of certain industries 

Good post. It's entirely possible people keep moving down the path of more afraid and more cautious. In this instance its necessary imo. You didn't respond to my topic BTW. Are you OK with the US health care system and hospitals becoming like Italy is now? Just overwhelmed and chaotic? If so, is that why you think the gov shouldn't be shutting down businesses? 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Good post. It's entirely possible people keep moving down the path of more afraid and more cautious. In this instance its necessary imo. You didn't respond to my topic BTW. Are you OK with the US health care system and hospitals becoming like Italy is now? Just overwhelmed and chaotic? If so, is that why you think the gov shouldn't be shutting down businesses? 

“We need to give the response to the virus our full attention,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, an associate professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “But we’re following every rabbit that pops out of its hole, as opposed to trying to prioritize responses that have the most impact.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/coronavirus-hype-overreaction-social-distancing.html

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

“We need to give the response to the virus our full attention,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, an associate professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “But we’re following every rabbit that pops out of its hole, as opposed to trying to prioritize responses that have the most impact.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/coronavirus-hype-overreaction-social-distancing.html

Sure it's easy to say that, but what is the priority? You can't get enough people to know or agree on what it is. The article does show that China seemed successful in slowing the spread with isolation and shows how Italys response has proven to be very costly in human casualties. The gov and cdc should have been more prepared on what to do. 

It has a great chance at sparking civil war.  The nation is a powderkeg.  Just needs something to set it off.

• Haha 1

It will be bad. People don’t just stop worrying once the crisis is declared over. Many paranoid people will be hesitant to resume normal activities. The virus doesn’t just cease to exist because we took 2 weeks off of normal business. This is a long haul disaster, and by disaster I mean the media hysterics, not the virus. Kiss the economy goodbye, it’s recession time.

In the immediate short term, sure - we'll see changes.

But it won't last, people will go back to their normal routines as if nothing ever happened........... 9/11 taught us that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

But it won't last, people will go back to their normal routines as if nothing ever happened........... 9/11 taught us that.

When you really boil it down, 911 only affected people in a 2 block radius of the crashes. No reason not to continue normally after that. Heck I thought it was fun and exciting.

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

On line fantasy drafts.  That sucks. 

Why even bother playing then. Sitting around with your buddies drafting and trash talking are the best part of fantasy. 

10 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Hand shaking is sooooooo 2019

i'll get coronaitis birdSARS before doing that gay elbow thing

8 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Why even bother playing then. Sitting around with your buddies drafting and trash talking are the best part of fantasy. 

It hasnt been practical to get all 12 of us together for over a decade. Last year some guy tried to be all hung ho saying we should do it live and even got many numbnuts on his side. Then the week of everyone realized it wasn’t feasible and we did it online like I tried to insist was the only way. “Oh I have this, I have that, my wife has this, my kids have that, we are going here, we won’t be available til this or that.”

17 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

It’s the best day of the year. 

24 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Hand shaking is sooooooo 2019

Hopefully the primitive high-five will go away! It is soooooo 2000 BC.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

I agree.

1 hour ago, porkbutt said:

I prefer the kung fu bow

1 hour ago, porkbutt said:

I say we all start greeting one another with the Kid N Play.

59 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I prefer the kung fu bow

Nuk style. :banana:

I could see this moving us towards online voting which I think is a bad idea but sooner or later it is going to happen and this might be the impetus that causes it to happen sooner.

7 hours ago, tanatastic said:

it’s recession time.

I believe that wholeheartedly. This isn't a health crisis. It's a media induced recession. 

13 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

I believe that wholeheartedly. This isn't a health crisis. It's a media induced recession. 

Unless we see >15000-20,000 deaths in the US (annual flu deaths) then most people will realize this was a last ditch effort by the media and DC to take out Trump.

They are literally killing our economy over....

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

.... 85 deaths (37 outside of WA)

Let that sink in 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Intense Observer said:

Unless we see >15000-20,000 deaths in the US (annual flu deaths) then most people will realize this was a last ditch effort by the media and DC to take out Trump.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Let that sink in 

The regular flu has killed something like 10,000 so far just in the USA. Many times more that around the world. Oh but so many more people get it. So what? Life is a life right? Shut down the entire country/world over 85 people?

11 hours ago, tanatastic said:

When you really boil it down, 911 only affected people in a 2 block radius of the crashes. No reason not to continue normally after that. Heck I thought it was fun and exciting.

Really? Were just gonna let "911 was fun and exciting" go by? 

3 hours ago, Intense Observer said:

Let that sink in 

Yeah. That wiley media. Somehow they got other countries all over the world to kill their economies too just to get Trump. Weird. 

• Like 1

Trust in the media and trust in the health industry is at great risk of taking a MASSIVE plunge after this.  I think the general public believes the coronavirus is gonna wipe out a large number of people, and when the death toll is not significantly above a regular flu, the public might be pretty damn angry.  The media and the health industry will likely then try to double down and argue that the science works out that the quarantine helped a lot, but the public probably won't buy it. 

Its the continuing story of how trust in institutions continues to crumble. 

Some might think this will permanently alter society by increasing work-at-home, killing cinemas, etc.  But it might actually go the other way.  Defiance of the quarantine might push people get out more instead before this is over.

More pron

15 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Scumbag 

16 hours ago, tanatastic said:

:wacko:

Less tires being bought, less oil changes. Less car accidents. Will get tough for those businesses. 

11 hours ago, tanatastic said:

The regular flu has killed something like 10,000 so far just in the USA. Many times more that around the world. Oh but so many more people get it. So what? Life is a life right? Shut down the entire country/world over 85 people?

Uh-oh, flu triggering.  Just say covid is way more dangerous (even though we have no concrete data on it) and step away. 

11 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Really? Were just gonna let "911 was fun and exciting" go by? 

Yeah. That wiley media. Somehow they got other countries all over the world to kill their economies too just to get Trump. Weird. 

Amazing what comes across the screen here sometimes.  Jeez.  

I'm hearing lots of complaints about cash money and the potential of it being contaminated.  It's biblical that someday we will have a mark to buy or sell.  I can see something like this causing that to eventually happen.  

15 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Scumbag 

Fear mongering sh!theel 

Edit - Didn't read to the end. Agreed with the scumbag comment

Just now, shorepatrol said:

Fear mongering sh!theel 

Link?