Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Texans - Cardinals David Johnson / DeAndre Hopkins Trade

David Johnson is a waste on a team that isnt competitive and has a poor O line.  I was pretty sure he'd move somewhere.  but I was a bit surprised about this.

Hopkins fits the AZ offense far better.   and it is a good year to draft WR I hear, so the replacement will come quick enough.

I guess the question is.... could they have gotten more for Hopkins?

maybe its a case where hopkins wanted out, so they needed to act quickly.  hard to say

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

maybe its a case where hopkins wanted out, so they needed to act quickly.  hard to say

I don't see how they couldn't.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't see how they couldn't.

I was pretty sure DJ was being shopped.  it was clear they didnt want him come the second half of the year.

the only explanation I can think of is that the Houston GM/coach loved him and if there was another offer on the table, maybe they stepped up with their absolute best offer.

Keep in mind 2 years  (even 1 year) ago this wouldnt have seemed to be a terrible deal.

Just now, Ray_T said:

I was pretty sure DJ was being shopped.  it was clear they didnt want him come the second half of the year.

the only explanation I can think of is that the Houston GM/coach loved him and if there was another offer on the table, maybe they stepped up with their absolute best offer.

Keep in mind 2 years  (even 1 year) ago this wouldnt have seemed to be a terrible deal.

that and the possibility Hopkins wanted out.  if he did want out, that would have added a sense of urgency to the deal

Yeah, about 1 to 2 years ago, this deal is reasonable... but not now.  Especially since Houston has a winning team and a stud WR... and a bunch of WR's who are always hurt.  Hopkins is their only staple.  To move on from him with 3 years left on his deal seems really odd.

What a stupid move for the Texans.  

This is really unreal.  

The rumblings are that Nuk wants to renogotiate his deal at a huge number, but still jeez. The Giants got a first, a third and peppers for OBJ and he's not as good as Hopkins on or off the field. smh...

Texans add Cobb

so they got

• Fuller
  • Stills
  • Cobb
  • I assume a rookie

If Fuller can stay healthy (and thats a big if) I think they will be fine.

If Fuller and Cobb and Stills can stay healthy is a big ifff.  

Its a bad deal for the Texans, and it’s going to hurt Watson’s production.  

Non of those other three WRs can produce the numbers they just lost.  

Dj really needs to post a great season, and that’s another big if. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

If Fuller and Cobb and Stills can stay healthy is a big ifff.  

Its a bad deal for the Texans, and it’s going to hurt Watson’s production.  

Non of those other three WRs can produce the numbers they just lost.  

Dj really needs to post a great season, and that’s another big if. 

There is no doubt in my mind, if DJ does not produce, this trade will get the GM fired.

My belief is that they will give DJ every opportunity to prove he was worth the steep price they paid for him

GM/Coach. Tomato/Tomatoe.

Bill O'Brien needs to go!

11 hours ago, Kopy said:

GM/Coach. Tomato/Tomatoe.

Bill O'Brien needs to go!

well, hes either crazy as hell, or hes super brilliant.   and in about 10 months or less, we will know which he is.

It has come out that: 1) Hopkins wants a $5 to $7M a season raise ($13M to $18M to $20M a year AAV); and 2) O'Brien called Hopkins out on having too many baby mamas.  Seriously!!  🤣

On 3/16/2020 at 12:37 PM, Ray_T said:

I think he was going to want that mega deal soon even though he had time on his contract. Has paying receivers mega deals been the difference in a team winning a SB? Nope. A stud receiver never leads a team to a championship. Obrien still should have gotten more. 

At least my shares of Johnson have some upside now. The Texans gave up a lot in the deal to get him. I hope he gets traded to TB now. 

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I think he was going to want that mega deal soon even though he had time on his contract. Has paying receivers mega deals been the difference in a team winning a SB? Nope. A stud receiver never leads a team to a championship. Obrien still should have gotten more. 

At least my shares of Johnson have some upside now. The Texans gave up a lot in the deal to get him. I hope he gets traded to TB now. 

Not going to happen.  They're down to about $22(?)M left in cap space and need about $8-$10M for draft picks.  They also still need to extend Godwin.  Johnson's contract carries an $11M cap hit this year.  My guess is they look for solid guys that they can get for a total of like $7 or $8M.  Possibly Freeman at $5M and Dion Lewis at $2M perhaps.  Something like that.

They could probably get Melvin Gordon on a 1 year prove it deal if they wanted. Lots of players are going to be running over to Tampa before Brady needs to get a hip replacement...

Possibly.  He just held out last year, missing a few games, on a franchise tag.  So I'm guessing Gordon won't be interested in taking less money for the same amount of time (1 yr contract).

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Possibly.  He just held out last year, missing a few games, on a franchise tag.  So I'm guessing Gordon won't be interested in taking less money for the same amount of time (1 yr contract).

yeah, and I think it is obvious he is not worth that much money.

He may need to sit a while before coming to the conclusion he's not worth the kind of money he thinks he's worth.

If he was worth that kind of money, someone would have signed him by now.

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, and I think it is obvious he is not worth that much money.

He may need to sit a while before coming to the conclusion he's not worth the kind of money he thinks he's worth.

If he was worth that kind of money, someone would have signed him by now.

Agreed