Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

UPDATE: Cam Newton Released

Link

It sure sounds like Newton is on the way out in Carolina. New England, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis and the Chargers are all in the market for a QB.

these are his potential issues.  Lisfranc is actually a pretty bad injury for a football player

Question is... who "wants" him?  Is there any team would actually want Newton on their team at that price?

What was the relationship between him and Rivera? Redskins a possibility? 

I don’t know, I think he’s a real question mark going forward.  

Really cant wait to see what the Hoody does for a Qb.  

I think Newton was questionable without the lisfranc.

the lisfranc makes it less likely that he can play the way he has in the past.

the bottom line is this:

He has the same problem most running QB's have once they get to this age.   he has taken too many hits, and now is injury prone.

Most running QB's have this problem once they get near the age of 30.   They have shorter careers due to the number of extra hits they take as a player.

at his best, hes as good as anyone out there, but I have serious questions about his ability to remain healthy.    

The Lisfranc may also affect his throwing motion as well.  

If I were a GM I wouldnt consider him unless your options were poor and you had a full medical that says hes fine.

in that case, I'd trade for him and the 1 year left on his contract and draft someone to sit for a year and learn from him.

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What was the relationship between him and Rivera? Redskins a possibility? 

In 9 years, Rivera had 6 losing seasons with Newton.  Can't imagine Rivera wanting him in Washington, even for 1 year.  What's the point?  You can't win with him, why bother?

I think the best place for Newton is in Seattle, Pittsburgh, or Houston as a backup.  Houston could have some extra cap space, maybe they can get Newton and a 4th for a 7th.

I wonder how much say Newton would have on where he goes, I would doubt he wants to be a back up, I think it’s a good move, but I don’t think Newton would.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I wonder how much say Newton would have on where he goes, I would doubt he wants to be a back up, I think it’s a good move, but I don’t think Newton would.  

I believe the Panthers gave him permission to have his agent talk to other teams.  If that's the case, he has 100% say.  Well, at least to which teams to talk to.  Now, what team wants him, that's another story.

I think Newton would retire before he'd play as a backup.

Yeah I would agree, I don’t see newton settling for a back up Qb job.  

Maybe the Chargers. 

18 hours ago, weepaws said:

Yeah I would agree, I don’t see newton settling for a back up Qb job.  

Maybe the Chargers. 

well, if Newton can still run (and that is a very big IF)..... the chargers would be a fair place for him to go.

a running QB can cover up some deficiencies in the line because if the Defenders go after the QB with reckless abandon, they could get burned if he decides to run the ball.  

so against a running QB a controlled pass rush to keep him contained in the pocket and prevent him from running is more appropriate.   you get less sacks that way, but the QB does not burn you with his feet.

At this point, I dont know if Newton can play this way.  

There is a very real possibility that he is a drop back QB for the rest of his career.   If he can play that way, he may be fine.   but there is a very real possibility that he is finished as a starting QB.

What upsets me is how the Panthers allowed him to seek a trade and he publicly responded (in some stupid font), that he did not ask for any of this and the Panthers are flipping the narrative. WHAT NARRATIVE??? Panthers obviously are moving on from you, they've given you and your agent the courtesy to seek a trade where you would want. I'm pretty sure Newton cannot block a trade so the panthers should send him somewhere to be a backup. Just for being a dooshhhhh.

39 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

What upsets me is how the Panthers allowed him to seek a trade and he publicly responded (in some stupid font), that he did not ask for any of this and the Panthers are flipping the narrative. WHAT NARRATIVE??? Panthers obviously are moving on from you, they've given you and your agent the courtesy to seek a trade where you would want. I'm pretty sure Newton cannot block a trade so the panthers should send him somewhere to be a backup. Just for being a dooshhhhh.

It's his same air of entitlement that he's always had.  Reality has smacked him in the face.  He'll either have to compete for a job, get a 1-year (maaaybee 2-year), stop gap deal, be a back up, or retire.  I highly doubt any team gives him a long term contract, nor guaranteed money outside of year 1.

• Like 1

I think he will find it hard to find work.

if nobody would take him at a 21 M cap hit (which is now looking reasonable in light of recent deals for starting QB) I question whether he will be signed at all.

I agree that impression that he gives (that he is entitled) will not endear himself to teams who would use him as a bridge QB to mentor a young kid. 

That sense of entitlement isnt something you want in a mentor.

Yes, I do think reality is slapping him in the face bigtime.   He is Superman no more.

11 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Newton won't get a starting deal with the lack of team visits and physicals.

without a doubt.    

I dont think any QB needy team signs without a physical.   not unless the price is so low that there isnt a ton of risk to begin with.

Just now, Ray_T said:

without a doubt.    

I dont think any QB needy team signs without a physical.   not unless the price is so low that there isnt a ton of risk to begin with.

or perhaps a low base salary with lots of incentives.  this way if he plays the team wins and he wins.  if he sits, no cost to the team.

Based on that news, he’s going to be starting somewhere.  

Chargers.  

24 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Based on that news, he’s going to be starting somewhere.  

Chargers.  

Either here, or New England.

how many other spots are available?