Sign in to follow this  
HTH

Have we determined whether it's safe to take out from restaurants?

I thought of this already.  Some poor schlub who needs the money is going to work, sick or not. This describes kitchen staff.

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I thought of this already.  Some poor schlub who needs the money is going to work, sick or not. This describes kitchen staff.

This.  Even on a good day, I wouldn't want those rejects preparing my food.  No thanks.  I'll eat at home.  

I equate eating fast food/carry out with sh!tting in a public restroom.  

It is a risk.  I did it the other day from a friend's restaurant.  Here is why I would be nervous based on my experience:

1. They weren't wearing full PPE as they handled my food.  There isn't enough for our medical workers, why would we expect our restaurants to have what is needed.  There were at least 4 people who either handled the food, the packaging or my bag, and that was just what I had seen.

2. They handled my money (wife didn't tip on the credit card payment, so I gave them cash).  Even if I had signed and added a tip, we still traded pen and paper.  That pen has probably been in 30-40 other people's hands in the last 2 hours.

3. I had people behind me waiting.  The couple directly behind me was actually staying back 6 feet.  I applauded them.  Of course as I was walking out, I went through the doorway with 2 other groups of people who were in the doorway.  Do we really think that they have clean doors?

4.  My friend talked to me and we hugged.  We then talked in relative close proximity for a few minutes about her business and what she will be doing. She is probably clean, but who the hell knows.   So much for social distancing.  

Each interaction between people is a risk.  I don't know whether it is a big risk or not, but I don't know that I will be doing takeout until we have a better handle on this.  I am, however, having leftovers from the takeout the other day for lunch.  :dunno:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It is a risk.  I did it the other day from a friend's restaurant.  Here is why I would be nervous based on my experience:

1. They weren't wearing full PPE as they handled my food.  There isn't enough for our medical workers, why would we expect our restaurants to have what is needed.  There were at least 4 people who either handled the food, the packaging or my bag, and that was just what I had seen.

2. They handled my money (wife didn't tip on the credit card payment, so I gave them cash).  Even if I had signed and added a tip, we still traded pen and paper.  That pen has probably been in 30-40 other people's hands in the last 2 hours.

3. I had people behind me waiting.  The couple directly behind me was actually staying back 6 feet.  I applauded them.  Of course as I was walking out, I went through the doorway with 2 other groups of people who were in the doorway.  Do we really think that they have clean doors?

4.  My friend talked to me and we hugged.  We then talked in relative close proximity for a few minutes about her business and what she will be doing. She is probably clean, but who the hell knows.   So much for social distancing.  

Each interaction between people is a risk.  I don't know whether it is a big risk or not, but I don't know that I will be doing takeout until we have a better handle on this.  I am, however, having leftovers from the takeout the other day for lunch.  :dunno:

Sort of ridiculous that they aren't wearing masks and gloves (hard to find, I know, but that should be the rule now).  That they are taking and giving cash. That people are allowed in the restaurant at all.  Food should be curbside.  If there is any hope of keeping restaurants open, these need to happen.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Sort of ridiculous that they aren't wearing masks and gloves (hard to find, I know, but that should be the rule now).  That they are taking and giving cash. That people are allowed in the restaurant at all.  Food should be curbside.  If there is any hope of keeping restaurants open, these need to happen.

The problem is that there is no mandate or rules.  At least in MA, they closed down the bars, and restaurants went takeout only as of yesterday.  I was there the day before it took place and there were people eating in the restaurant, including an old guy on oxygen.  

I saw pictures from another local (Chinese) restaurant on FB and they showed all of their people in masks and gloves. I highly doubt that they are using the same level of care required, but at least they are putting on a good show.  I also doubt the local Board of Health is equipped to oversee this, which is why I am leery.  

Thanks guys! Any more advice would be appreciated!

I ordered Papa Murphy's last night. I paid online and they put it in the bed of my truck. I did not even need to get out of the vehicle, no personal interaction whatsoever.

I put the pizza in the oven and then washed my hands.

36 minutes ago, HTH said:

Thanks guys! Any more advice would be appreciated!

If you’re under 60, take precautions but live your life. In the unlikely scenario you do contract covid19, there’s an almost certainty that you’ll recover. 

#15daystoslowthespread

9 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

If you’re under 60, take precautions but live your life. In the unlikely scenario you do contract covid19, there’s an almost certainty that you’ll recover. 

#15daystoslowthespread

There's a better than average chance you'll never know you had it. 

I had to do church deposits at bank...went inside..they were wearing gloves and masks...smart move

14 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

#15daystoslowthespread

Yes you will, but if you don't take precautions you could pass it on to someone who passes it on to their Grandmother.