Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

UPDATED: Gurley waived by Rams, signed by Falcons

The Rams must have a ton of cap space available to be willing to take a $20M cap hit.  Had they just waited until June 1st, they could've at least split the cap hit over 2 years.

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The Rams must have a ton of cap space available to be willing to take a $20M cap hit.  Had they just waited until June 1st, they could've at least split the cap hit over 2 years.

I'll have to double check this, but I think teams can now designate their releases ahead of time as post-June 1, therefore getting the desired cap effect. Not sure if that is the case here though.

Just now, Mike FF Today said:

I'll have to double check this, but I think teams can now designate their releases ahead of time as post-June 1, therefore getting the desired cap effect. Not sure if that is the case here though.

Oh really?  That would be good for them if that's the case.  Like I said, that's a huge cap hit.

On one hand, you kind of have to feel for RBs. They take a tremendous pounding, and don't get paid like the the QBs and WRs do.

But the reality of the NFL today is that it's just not worth paying them big money. Between injuries and production dropoff, most of them aren't going to reach the end of their second contract. But if you've got a superstar RB, you'll get a fan revolt if you don't pay them. Especially if you invested a first round pick on them.

A big problem for Gurley and the Rams, who've were trying to workout a trade for weeks, is that team doctors are not allowed to give physicals to potential free agents and trade candidates given the coronavirus restrictions. I can't imagine any team is going to sign Gurley without their own team docs doing an exam. Joe Flacco (neck) is in the same boat.

36 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Rams released RB Todd Gurley with a post-June 1 designation.

Gurley just signed a "four-year, $60 million" extension in July 2018. The Rams spent weeks trying to trade Gurley but could not find a taker for his albatross of a deal. Even with the post-June 1 designation, the move provides only modest salary cap relief ($5.5 million this year). It was prompted by a $10.5 million roster bonus that was about to come due. The Rams benefit more in terms of real cash than salary cap. Gurley was cruising along as one of the best non-quarterback offensive players in the league until ankle and knee issues began to slow him down in late 2018. He was not himself in the playoffs and the reduced form carried over to 2019, where he averaged 3.8 yards per carry. Although he is still only 25 years old, Gurley's knee issues are chronic. His release further gluts the running back market.

RELATED: 
Mar 19, 2020, 3:46 PM ET
  •  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

True.

it is also possible that they decided to write this year off, so that they can go into the following year with no constraints.

Just now, Ray_T said:

True.

it is also possible that they decided to write this year off, so that they can go into the following year with no constraints.

@Mike FF Today mentioned that it's possibly a June 1 designation and @Baker Boy noted that it was.  So they are going to get some cap relief this year and push the rest off  until next year.

So who’s up next for the Rams, Henderson or do they draft another rb? 

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

So who’s up next for the Rams, Henderson or do they draft another rb? 

If they wanna draft someone,  my understanding is that this would be the year to do it.

I dont think they have a ton of cap space, so this might be a priority

If his knees can hold up, it’s a good move.  

Lol very very good point.  

I know a lot of people that leave Reno in the winter for Arizona.