Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Golf these days

Recommended Posts

Anyone still playing? Trying to get as much in as possible before any shelter in place command. The window will shut by next weekend, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played 18 Wednesday and 9 yesterday. Getting all of it I can now. I will legitimately go batsh1t-crazy if I'm not allowed to leave my house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some adjustments I have seen:

- Courses allowing 1 rider per cart if asked

- Courses leaving the hole cup up 1 inch so you actually don't put into the cup.  That way you don't have to touch the flag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I walked 9 yesterday with a buddy.  We had zero interactions with anyone and made sure not to touch each others balls.  :)

I did accidentally pick up a broken tee from the ground to use on a par three. 

Golf is the perfect social distancing sport / game.  Walk!  Leave the pin in.  Pay online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hoping to go later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I want one of those hats Rickie is wearing.  :wall:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Some adjustments I have seen:

- Courses allowing 1 rider per cart if asked

- Courses leaving the hole cup up 1 inch so you actually don't put into the cup.  That way you don't have to touch the flag

I am surprised that carts are still available.  The other day I did put my bag on the same cart with a friend, and walked. I can see walking being mandatory pretty soon if they stay open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played 18 yesterday. The course was very busy for a Thursday.  Weather moving in so I won’t play until Sunday and Monday.  
 

Only 1 group in the clubhouse at a time to register. 
 

No more than 10 people in the grill at a time and if you order food you have to take it to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I have my own cart.  

 

Of course there's still over a foot of focking snow on the ground.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning on later today if I can get out of this place. With the unknown financial future, I'll be solely playing at the dump I got a membership at. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If can ever get it to stop focking raining I might. :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

If can ever get it to stop focking raining I might. :mad:

Same, had plans to play 36 today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nicer of the 2 courses that’s within 15 minutes of me just closed. I live about 5 miles from the Penn-NY border. The one that’s actually in NY isn’t as nice and doesn’t drain nearly as well. But at least it’s open. For now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My club is semi-private.  They are talking about closing it to members only.  :banana:Most of us have our own carts so hope it will not be come a problem for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, it hasn't been warm enough to play here.

I'd really like to take my sons out and walk a few times while they're out of school and work is slow.  The golf course is the perfect place to spend some time outside while keeping your distance from others.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't swung a golf club in over 20 years...  I wonder if I still would remember my bad habits...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, posty said:

Haven't swung a golf club in over 20 years...  I wonder if I still would remember my bad habits...

Don't worry about it, you'll remember them and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TimmySmith said:

Don't worry about it, you'll remember them and more.

Yeah that was what I figured would happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposed to finally be sunny and middle 80s next week. Hopefully the courses stay open thru then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Course was packed on Sunday when I played despite the fact the temperature never got above 40. Everyone thought they were shutting down because of the lockdown in NY. Turns out you can keep the course playable as long as the clubhouse is closed, or something like that. Buddy of mine runs the course we play at and he talked to someone at the DOH. So, tee time at 3:30 today baby :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Governor Hogan shut them down in MD. Delaware still open for biz, so headed there tomorrow for 2 days. Tee time 2pm tomorrow,  1:20 Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played y-day, sunny and 80*, course was packed. Had to keep flags in and they inserted a device into the cups that kept the ball from falling all the way down into the hole. 

Sunny and 85* today, we tee off at 12:10. :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

Played y-day, sunny and 80*, course was packed. Had to keep flags in and they inserted a device into the cups that kept the ball from falling all the way down into the hole. 

Sunny and 85* today, we tee off at 12:10. :banana:

I played at a course that had the pool noodle sticking 6" up out of the hole.  Just had to hit it.  Made for some very aggressive putting.  Everybody was hitting it from distance.  It actually improved our putting. Something to think about after all this is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

I played at a course that had the pool noodle sticking 6" up out of the hole.  Just had to hit it.  Made for some very aggressive putting.  Everybody was hitting it from distance.  It actually improved our putting. Something to think about after all this is over.

You know I've been playing golf for 40 years, never seen this contraption. 

It's like a cap that is crowned, that sits just far enuff under the lip that balls can drop - but still be halfway above the hole. We played it similar - any putt that reasonably hit the flag we called good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got in rounds Thursday and Friday in Delaware. Yesterday rained. So MD, PA, DC shut down. Delaware, Virginia and West Viginia still open. My guess is they will close soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walked 18 thursday and friday.  Felt good.  Really hope they dont have to shut it down to member walkers.  Its a non threat and actually something people can do right now safely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Walked 18 thursday and friday.  Felt good.  Really hope they dont have to shut it down to member walkers.  Its a non threat and actually something people can do right now safely.

Delaware had no cart restrictions at all, which isn't good for keeping things open.  We opted for our own carts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Delaware had no cart restrictions at all, which isn't good for keeping things open.  We opted for our own carts. 

Here it seems like most places have let members walk as they want encouraging leaving pins in at all times.  I know some courses are serving public players to walk.  Mine is a semi private.  Not many greens fee golf this time of the year anyway.  They are just starting to open this time each year and weather is still very hit or miss for another month.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gotten 4 rds. in the books since last Sunday.

- 1 course w/no cart restrictions. But mandatory no-flag or rake touching. 

- 1 course allowing 2 carts per group, but only 1 person in it at a time. Golfers alternate walking holes. 

- 1 course w/no restrictions at all.

 

The DFW Metroplex (apparently) is worry free of the Corona outbreak.. We tried to get a tee time for 2day, called 5 different courses - every single one was booked thru 4:30. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I've gotten 4 rds. in the books since last Sunday.

- 1 course w/no cart restrictions. But mandatory no-flag or rake touching. 

- 1 course allowing 2 carts per group, but only 1 person in it at a time. Golfers alternate walking holes. 

- 1 course w/no restrictions at all.

 

The DFW Metroplex (apparently) is worry free of the Corona outbreak.. We tried to get a tee time for 2day, called 5 different courses - every single one was booked thru 4:30. 

Apparently Corona doesn't fare well in the heat. You guys may never know any of the pandemic. 

Course in Delaware Friday was packed and even though it was cart path only due to sogginess we still finished right at 4 hours.  While it was beautiful, I doubt they ever sold out before on a late March Friday. Probably never even came close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MI AG said golf courses are not critical infrastructure so they must remain closed.   She said it very clearly on tv.  
 

Logically, I know that’s the right decision, but it still sucks.  
 

Seems like a golf course is already designed to promote outdoor activity with a lot of distance between people.  
 

I guess the workers are the ones who are most at risk.  

What measures are the courses in your area doing to mitigate those risks now?
 

At less they haven’t closed the state parks here so at least we can hike the sand dunes and walk the beaches.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Apparently Corona doesn't fare well in the heat. You guys may never know any of the pandemic. 

Tell that to the people in New Orleans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Tell that to the people in New Orleans.

They were already decimated by Mardi Gras before they knew what hit them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

They were already decimated by Mardi Gras before they knew what hit them.

I think Texas is going to become another hot spot for the virus. The numbers in TX are jumping now too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Tell that to the people in New Orleans.

It’s not the heat.  It’s the humidity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I think Texas is going to become another hot spot for the virus. The numbers in TX are jumping now too. 

Texas is the 2nd most populated state, seems logical we could be the next hot spot. 

I hate to suggest it, but maybe there's a political slant to the escalation as well..... Texas is a big red state, and conservatives (by and large) tend to have a more laissez-faire attitude towards the Corona. 

It was partly sunny, 77* 2day - just a gorgeous out.... The parks, walking trails, golf courses, stores were PACKED. There were people actually having cookouts/parties at parks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

Texas is the 2nd most populated state, seems logical we could be the next hot spot. 

I hate to suggest it, but maybe there's a political slant to the escalation as well..... Texas is a big red state, and conservatives (by and large) tend to have a more laissez-faire attitude towards the Corona. 

It was partly sunny, 77* 2day - just a gorgeous out.... The parks, walking trails, golf courses, stores were PACKED. There were people actually having cookouts/parties at parks. 

I hope it doesn’t hit there. I hold out hope that warm weather slows the spread. I also hope that we will have tests and treatments in the next couple of weeks. Of course, I had the same hope a couple of weeks ago. :dunno: 

Stay safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×