Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Are Liquor stores “Essential” businesses?

21 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

I keep telling everyone to stock up.  I have plenty of liquor and sitting on 8+ cases of Busch Light.  And a dozen bottles of wine.   I may be an alcoholic but I won't have a drinking problem.   :cheers:

So you have this weekend covered. :thumbsup:

Just went to a large liquor store. There was a line outside as they were regulating how many in the store at one time. So that proves two things:

1) Liquor stores are essential

2) Having people stacked up in line to reduce them being stacked up in the store may or not be a good solution. 

Either way, I got my booze and left there happy. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, DuckStupid said:

Noted if I run out and cannot re-supply. 

Down to 7+ cases.  You better hurry.   :cheers:

1 hour ago, Thornton Melon said:

They are in MA, according to Charlie Bakuh :banana:

Yeah Hogan declared that in Maryland as well...

Where I live they are only essential until 8pm.  That gives me plenty of time to make my purchases!! :banana:

Guess I'll find out shortly.  Inslee just issued shutdown order, but it's happily called "Stay Home. Stay Safe" because anything else might make people scared.  While I focking hate Inslee I must admit his speech was pretty good and calm, which frankly surprised me. 

We knew he was going to speak tonight so earlier I stopped by my favorite brewery to get several bottles and tip the gal (I'm guessing Cs) a $20 since she needs it much more than we do.  I asked her if a shutdown order will screw the brewery since they don't serve food. She doesn't know.  At least they have 48 hrs before it goes into effect. 

For those wondering I bought a barrel aged milk stout, a Belgian trippel, and several varieties of fagg0tty IPAs with fagg0ty names: Enabler is their ISA, Intervention is their DIPA, and Wicked Pissah is their NEIPA. :cheers:

17 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

They are in MA, according to Charlie Bakuh :banana:

Imagine 2 million shotsups running around drooling and jonesing for booze? What a nightmare.  Would be like if the "clinics" stopped hanging out liquid heroin

12 hours ago, DonS said:

Guess I'll find out shortly.  Inslee just issued shutdown order, but it's happily called "Stay Home. Stay Safe" because anything else might make people scared.  While I focking hate Inslee I must admit his speech was pretty good and calm, which frankly surprised me. 

We knew he was going to speak tonight so earlier I stopped by my favorite brewery to get several bottles and tip the gal (I'm guessing Cs) a $20 since she needs it much more than we do.  I asked her if a shutdown order will screw the brewery since they don't serve food. She doesn't know.  At least they have 48 hrs before it goes into effect. 

For those wondering I bought a barrel aged milk stout, a Belgian trippel, and several varieties of fagg0tty IPAs with fagg0ty names: Enabler is their ISA, Intervention is their DIPA, and Wicked Pissah is their NEIPA. :cheers:

From the name I presume that "NE" means "New England," and if so, what is that style, I've never heard of it?  :cheers:

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

From the name I presume that "NE" means "New England," and if so, what is that style, I've never heard of it?  :cheers:

I believe a New England IPA is a cloudy version.  Usually a little more fruity than a traditional.

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

What is "extreme physical distancing?" :dunno:

Fock if I know.  That's an update though.  So, I feel really stupid, and annoyed about this.

- Yesterday afternoon Denver puts out a stay at home order and doesn't count dispensaries or liquor stores as essential so they're going to close. I don't smoke weed so dispensaries closing won't affect me.  Theoretically, the liquor store order won't apply to me either because I don't technically live in Denver.  But my city could very easily follow suit, as Boulder did shortly after.

- After work I grab the GF and run up to the liquor store up the street thinking I should stock up a little bit just in case.

- There's a line because they're only letting in a few people at a time.  Not too bad but about 10 people in front of us and then more form behind us after we get in line.

-  After standing there about 10 minutes it dawns on me that I'm violating everything we're trying to accomplish with social distancing.  I don't know these people and the idiot kid in front of me is acting like those idiots who went to spring break last week and got infected because they refused to social distance.

- My GF is a high risk individual so I feel even worse.

- While we're waiting in line she checks the news and finds out Denver has updated their order to exclude dispensaries and liquor stores.  So, this isn't even an issue at this point.

- We're already there so decide to go ahead and stock up on some beer.

We'd been essentially holed up for about 10 days and felt fine so I was pretty sure we weren't getting the virus.  But now we went out and interacted with a bunch of strangers so, while we're probably fine, we won't be sure for another week.

Fock you Denver.

8 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I believe a New England IPA is a cloudy version.  Usually a little more fruity than a traditional.

Cloudy and fruity, sounds like a Chowd.  :cheers:

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Fock if I know.  That's an update though.  So, I feel really stupid, and annoyed about this.

- Yesterday afternoon Denver puts out a stay at home order and doesn't count dispensaries or liquor stores as essential so they're going to close. I don't smoke weed so dispensaries closing won't affect me.  Theoretically, the liquor store order won't apply to me either because I don't technically live in Denver.  But my city could very easily follow suit, as Boulder did shortly after.

- After work I grab the GF and run up to the liquor store up the street thinking I should stock up a little bit just in case.

- There's a line because they're only letting in a few people at a time.  Not too bad but about 10 people in front of us and then more form behind us after we get in line.

-  After standing there about 10 minutes it dawns on me that I'm violating everything we're trying to accomplish with social distancing.  I don't know these people and the idiot kid in front of me is acting like those idiots who went to spring break last week and got infected because they refused to social distance.

- My GF is a high risk individual so I feel even worse.

- While we're waiting in line she checks the news and finds out Denver has updated their order to exclude dispensaries and liquor stores.  So, this isn't even an issue at this point.

- We're already there so decide to go ahead and stock up on some beer.

We'd been essentially holed up for about 10 days and felt fine so I was pretty sure we weren't getting the virus.  But now we went out and interacted with a bunch of strangers so, while we're probably fine, we won't be sure for another week.

Fock you Denver.

As I've said before we are lucky that Phoenix carries booze in grocery stores.  Not kegs though, I don't think so anyway (I don't have a kegerator).  There are some liquor-only stores which may have them, and I'm pretty sure they are still open.  Our governor Doug Ducey is awesome and I would be shocked if he blocked access to liquor after closing the bars.  He is the former CEO/founder of Cold Stone Creamery.  He has been phenomenal for business and growth here; unfortunately he is running up on a term limit, I would make him Emperor of AZ if I could.  You may see him on a national stage in 4 years...

46 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Usually a little more fruity than a traditional.

Just like Jerry. :banana:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, supermike80 said:

I hate the designation but yes, it is cloudy (not intentionally) and MUCH more fruity/juicy than a standard IPA.  Almost no bitterness and a very soft/pillowy mouthfeel...this has pushed the envelope into milkshake IPAs evolving...which when brewed right, well - taste like a milkshake.  

6 hours ago, usurpers26 said:

I hate the designation but yes, it is cloudy (not intentionally) and MUCH more fruity/juicy than a standard IPA.  Almost no bitterness and a very soft/pillowy mouthfeel...this has pushed the envelope into milkshake IPAs evolving...which when brewed right, well - taste like a milkshake.  

Chocolate porter is delicious.

Virginia changing the hours...

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2020/03/virginia-liquor-stores-are-reducing-hours/

Virginia’s state-run liquor stores will reduce hours at all 388 Virginia ABC stores in the state beginning March 27.

Most stores are currently open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. As of Friday, the hours will be from noon to 7 p.m. The stores will remain open seven days a week.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority says the shorter hours will allow for more cleaning and to address store staffing issues.

ABC had already canceled all in-store tasting events.

Earlier this week, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ordered nonessential businesses to close across the state, including gyms, theaters, bowling alleys and barbershops. Liquor stores were deemed essential and allowed to stay open.

On March 19, Virginia ABC closed one store in downtown Richmond after the roommate of an employee tested positive for COVID-19. The liquor agency reports no other cases involving store employees.

There are currently no restrictions on privately owned liquor stores in Maryland or the District.

8 minutes ago, posty said:

Virginia changing the hours...

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2020/03/virginia-liquor-stores-are-reducing-hours/

Virginia’s state-run liquor stores will reduce hours at all 388 Virginia ABC stores in the state beginning March 27.

Most stores are currently open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. As of Friday, the hours will be from noon to 7 p.m. The stores will remain open seven days a week.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority says the shorter hours will allow for more cleaning and to address store staffing issues.

ABC had already canceled all in-store tasting events.

Earlier this week, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ordered nonessential businesses to close across the state, including gyms, theaters, bowling alleys and barbershops. Liquor stores were deemed essential and allowed to stay open.

On March 19, Virginia ABC closed one store in downtown Richmond after the roommate of an employee tested positive for COVID-19. The liquor agency reports no other cases involving store employees.

There are currently no restrictions on privately owned liquor stores in Maryland or the District.

I don't get this... presuming you have a comparable number of customers per day, wouldn't this have the effect of putting people in closer contact?  :dunno:

Solomon splitting the baby... 😕

38 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I don't get this... presuming you have a comparable number of customers per day, wouldn't this have the effect of putting people in closer contact?  :dunno:

Solomon splitting the baby... 😕

I was at one of my Bevmo accounts last week. They weren't letting customers into the store. The customers were lined up outside 6' apart  They had an employee at the door asking people what they wanted and another employee would go retrieve it, ring it up, bag it and hand it to the customer. 

I've seen a substantial reduction in the run on beer this week. It's been crazy busy the last couple of weeks but it has slowed considerably this week. Whether or not it stays that way remains to be seen but for now, it seems like the rush is over. 

On 3/21/2020 at 1:41 PM, frank said:

I went to the state store his morning. You can only go to the register, they have to get the stuff for you. I bought 50 Jim Beam vanilla miniatures. (Slightly cheaper than buying fifths, it has always been that way :dunno:). They were out of regular.

That brought me up to 111 miniatures total. Jim Beam (13), Jim Beam vanilla (78), Fireball (10), and Bacardi (10). 

Vanilla goes great in root beer  Total soon to be 109. 

Restocked today. Bought Jim Beam (50) .Back up to 141. :banana:

I guess I need to drink more. 🤔

Boston Globe had an OpEd today about banning alcohol sales to prevent domestic violence during this time. No wonder no one reads that rag anymore.

4 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Boston Globe had an OpEd today about banning alcohol sales to prevent domestic violence during this time. No wonder no one reads that rag anymore.

If the water supply goes bad, you can depend on alcohol to be a sanitary drink to meet your needs.  Its more important to have booze now more than ever.

3 minutes ago, riversco said:

If the water supply goes bad, you can depend on alcohol to be a sanitary drink to meet your needs.  Its more important to have booze now more than ever.

What if I have a wound? I will need the booze to help heal it. The reasons are endless.

14 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What if I have a wound? I will need the booze to help heal it. The reasons are endless.

What if the currency collapses?  Your dollars are worthless.  Your debit cards are worthless.  You need to barter.   A bottle of liquor can get you things you need.  The responsible thing to do for you and your family is to get as much alcohol as you can.