Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Things you wish you had bought/hoarded but didn't...

Stuff you might have forgotten or didn't buy until it was already out of stock everywhere?

I had these 16 oz packs of yeast and big bags of flour on the shelf in the store.  I didn't even think to pull them or order more and it all sold.  That kinda bums me out because I was looking forward to trying to make some homemade bread.  I've had a Kitchenaid stand mixer in its box for a couple of years I think and what better time to break it out than during a pandemic. 

I know I can eventually get them in town sooner or later but there is no way that I want to go to the store any time soon. 

Ding dongs. I loaded up on devil dogs, ho hos, twinkies and zingers but I’m dangerously low on ding dongs.

Also cinnamon buns. :cry: 

• Like 2

I wish I had bought and froze a case of tube hamburger from Sam's.  Those 10lb tubes, prolly 8 to a case.  They would freeze forever.  That would have been a good investment.

TP, paper towels and bread are the items our stores are out/low on. We had 6 loaves of bread last week (4 in Freezer), now we are at 4. We had 9 rolls of TP, but found a 12pk at Walmart on Friday. We have 6 rolls of Paper Towels. Other than those items, everything seems plentiful. Maybe some Malaria medication?

Flour, yeast and bread are all fully stocked here.  The only things that are hard to find are lysol wipes and hand sanitizer.   TP comes and goes but if you're vigilant,  you can get some.

People shouldn't hoard anything. It's not necessary. But the fvckers do hoard. Which in turn makes hoarding necessary for some things. Grrrr....sucks.

If people would just go to the store for what they need when they normally go to the store, the stores would be a lot less crowded. Now, everyone seems to be at the store every waking hour because a whole bunch of assh0les are filling their garages with toilet paper and hand sanatizer. My neighbor lives alone and she has like 80 rolls of TP in her garage.

• Like 1

Some are truly buying in excess when its not needed.  I do understand that some people would prefer, or need to, isolate themselves and not have to expose themselves to crowds in stores.  There needs to be a balance so everyone can access necessities on the regular.

I had TP long before this and 4 of those big jugs of hand sanitizer that Sam's Club sells.  I keep one on the counter by the register and one back by the bottle return area.  I had loads of paper towels.  It's the foodstuff I wish I had stocked up on better.  I would prefer not to need to go to the store for anything during a pandemic.  You are just giving yourself another chance to become infected every time you walk through the doors.

I thought Walmart was better set up for online ordering and curbside pickup but as of now, it's pretty much impossible to place an order.  Same with Sam's.  

The only thing I couldn’t find at the grocery store was TP so I got it at the dollar store. I bought a few extra things like canned goods and vegetables in case there are shortages and to delay having to go to the store again. But as of right now the store is fully stocked. Or it would be if people weren’t hoarding.

As I said in the other thread I am all set for the long haul. They could close down all the stores and it wouldn't matter to me. My family and I are set for a min a year 6 months if I have to support another family.

I would like more items like paper products not that I need them it would just be nice to have.

38 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

People shouldn't hoard anything. It's not necessary. But the fvckers do hoard. Which in turn makes hoarding necessary for some things. Grrrr....sucks.

If people would just go to the store for what they need when they normally go to the store, the stores would be a lot less crowded. Now, everyone seems to be at the store every waking hour because a whole bunch of assh0les are filling their garages with toilet paper and hand sanatizer. My neighbor lives alone and she has like 80 rolls of TP in her garage.

I wonder when people will reach their limit on what they can hoard. Fvcking idiots. The gov in IL said all grocery store items will still be manufactured, delivered and stocked, so no need to hoard. That same day everyone rushed to the store to wipe everything out. 

We're all set with TP and non-food products.  We certainly have food to last a while.  It helps that my wife is a good cook; as I type she is making hummus from dried chick peas.  Later she plans to make broth from vegetable stock.  She is kind of enjoying this frontier woman survivalism, since with all of this social distancing she can't have secks with you Geeks as often as she used to.

The one thing that people are hoarding which we might run out of is eggs, which I think I mentioned in another thread.  It's a 1st world problem to be sure, but it is the one thing that, if I saw in a store, I'd grab immediately at this point.

I try to get carry out a couple times a week at the restaurants I like so to give support to local business in that way at least. 

3 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Do you freeze eggs?

Wouldn't the insides expand and crack the shell?

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Wouldn't the insides expand and crack the shell?

You have to crack them into ice trays first.

3 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Do you freeze eggs?

Can you?  I bought a case (15 dozen) last week from milk guy.  They have good dates but fifteen dozen is fifteen dozen.  I eat at least 2 hard-boiled eggs a day and usually boil 24 at a time and keep in the fridge.  I thought about boiling a bunch more of them up and freezing them in their shells to see how it works.  Have you ever froze uncooked eggs?

2 hours ago, fandandy said:

Can you?  I bought a case (15 dozen) last week from milk guy.  They have good dates but fifteen dozen is fifteen dozen.  I eat at least 2 hard-boiled eggs a day and usually boil 24 at a time and keep in the fridge.  I thought about boiling a bunch more of them up and freezing them in their shells to see how it works.  Have you ever froze uncooked eggs?

I have not.  I've heard that if you do,  they can be used for baking or scrambled eggs.  You don't want to freeze in shell as they will break and you'll have shell in your eggs and that sux.