fandandy

Cancelling School Year

5 minutes ago, FeelingMN said:

The kids in my district will use one of two platforms for study: Seesaw or Schoology.  From these, teachers can post videos of themselves actually teaching a lesson.  There won't be the immediate feedback you see within a classroom but kids will sit and learn a lesson from a teacher teaching it online.  If they have questions, they are encouraged to ask them using one of those platforms or by setting up a chat via Google Hangouts or Zoom.  Optimal?  No.  But my wife and I place a high value on education and know that it is our duty as parents to help educate our kids.  We'll help out teachers as much as we can.

I wonder if this whole situation will lead to changes in how our education system does things.  I feel it's a bit outdated and could use some improving to change with the rest of the world.  Maybe it has already in some schools but I know it hasn't in some of the schools around me.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

There you go again.  Making a generalized statement without proof.  Can you show me that a significant number of high level math teachers are continuing to teach their classes via video conference?  I don't want your opinion.  I want proof.

You have to have a student in that class or a high school teacher to provide tangible proof.  

Seriously....everything in school now is on tech.  It ain't like when we were in school.  The biggest obstacle is going to be getting kids to actually do their work.....which should come from home anyway.

Again, not an optimal setup right now but the instruction will be there online as well as a chance to meet with instructors one on one if need be.  Parents need to enforce the importance of "going to school and doing work" for it to really work though.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I can't prove that a majority of them are.  I personally know teachers who are doing it and I've seen reports of many others doing it.  As for being high level math teachers, I have no idea.  I don't even know how to possibly prove that to you.

Because you probably can't.  I haven't seen one report about how schools are teaching.  I think someone here posted that their school district won't allow remote teaching because some kids don't have Internet and, you know, lowest common denominator.  Which is why I called you out.  You made the statement; not me.

Because you probably can't.  I haven't seen one report about how schools are teaching.  I think someone here posted that their school district won't allow remote teaching because some kids don't have Internet and, you know, lowest common denominator.  Which is why I called you out.  You made the statement; not me.

There are teachers working with students but I don't think they can actually grade students like it were a normal class.  I'd have to ask my wife about this because I'm trying to go off of what I've heard her discussing with other teachers.  Since they can't make it available to all students they can't finish out their courses online. My wife's school district has some pretty low income families so they don't all have computers or internet.

I'm certainly not an expert on any of this and I'm not trying to sound like one.  I'm just trying to pass along the info I know the best I can.  My wife would talk everyone's ears off about school.  It's like me talking to her brother about fishing.

24 minutes ago, Reality said:

Our schools are basically the same for now, before the actual break there was some virtual classes every few days but, no actual teaching.

My kid is a junior in high school, honors classes, A student, very tough workload.  There has been no actual teaching going on since they started working from home.  There is no chance the kids in our area are ready to move on to the next year of school or subsequent classes the way things stand at this point.  There is a real problem here and forcing kids to the next level without learning this year's work is going to be a disaster.

My youngest is a junior in HS as well.  Of course, he has an easy course load this trimester, so it is not really much for him to do.  He has no real aspirations either, so it should be fine for him. He is unmotivated, not too bright and a BS artist.  He is going to be a politician.  

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There are teachers working with students but I don't think they can actually grade students like it were a normal class.  I'd have to ask my wife about this because I'm trying to go off of what I've heard her discussing with other teachers.  Since they can't make it available to all students they can't finish out their courses online. My wife's school district has some pretty low income families so they don't all have computers or internet.

I'm certainly not an expert on any of this and I'm not trying to sound like one.  I'm just trying to pass along the info I know the best I can.  My wife would talk everyone's ears off about school.  It's like me talking to her brother about fishing.

Given all of the above, especially for the low income/needy kids, you'd just pass them along to the next grade.  What grades would you give them?  All A's?  Because that goes on their transcript for college. 

Given all of the above, especially for the low income/needy kids, you'd just pass them along to the next grade.  What grades would you give them?  All A's?  Because that goes on their transcript for college. 

No.  They would base their grade on what they had accomplished so far this semester.  My wife told me they should have gotten far enough into their semester that they can grade them and move them on to the next grade.  I'm not 100% on how that's going to work yet.  The real problem is for the schools in the area that have trimesters.  Those schools just started their 3rd trimester so there would be courses that they didn't even really start yet.  I'm not sure how they're going to handle that.

16 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

My youngest is a junior in HS as well.  Of course, he has an easy course load this trimester, so it is not really much for him to do.  He has no real aspirations either, so it should be fine for him. He is unmotivated, not too bright and a BS artist.  He is going to be a politician.  

He'll probably end up making more than all of us.

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No.  They would base their grade on what they had accomplished so far this semester.  My wife told me they should have gotten far enough into their semester that they can grade them and move them on to the next grade.  I'm not 100% on how that's going to work yet.  The real problem is for the schools in the area that have trimesters.  Those schools just started their 3rd trimester so there would be courses that they didn't even really start yet.  I'm not sure how they're going to handle that.

Even on a semester system you would only be maybe 40% through the course.   I just don't see how you grade someone based upon a small portion of the total course.  And, of course, you're missing 60% of the knowledge that would be required if you moved on to a higher level of the same topic.

I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread but cancelling an entire school year is just  wrong. 

It teaches kids that when things get a little rough, just quit. Come back next year. That's wrong in my opinion. 

The better thing to do is have the kids do lessons and exercises at home, turn in book and lesson reports and grade them accordingly. 

You can't hold an entire generation back because of this BS and it's time for parents to step up and take responsibility for the offspring they needed to have.

Make the best of the time you never wanted to have together. 

37 minutes ago, Strike said:

You're probably thinking of me, as yes out district was full steam ahead with switching to online and providing chrome books and hotspots.  It was amazing how quickly the teachers and IT folks in the district were able to figure out how to make it work with Zoom.  I helped my wife play around with scheduling and even put together a PDF that she could give to parents to help troubleshoot basic issues like dialing in if your PC doesn't have a microphone, etc.  Pretty pissed that Inslee shut it all down.

While I don't have PROOF I can certainly say without a doubt that teachers are still reaching out to their kids and checking in on them.  Their hands are unfortunately tied, however, from continuing with any real coursework.

Ok...reality check...high school is pretty much a pass anyway with schools having 20 valedictorians.  Seriously...get your basics and teach to the tests from the state...its a shame but the rigor if when we were in school is long gone

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Ok...reality check...high school is pretty much a pass anyway with schools having 20 valedictorians.  Seriously...get your basics and teach to the tests from the state...its a shame but the rigor if when we were in school is long gone

My son is lazy as fock when it comes to school. He would have breezed through the local public breakfast, lunch, daycare and PC indoctrination facility. Instead he battled his way through Catholic school. Here is an interesting stat. 350 got in the his Catholic HS from about 900 applicants, 5 years ago. This year, roughly 2000 applicants.  And the libs want to shut down charter schools. 

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

My son is lazy as fock when it comes to school. He would have breezed through the local public breakfast, lunch, daycare and PC indoctrination facility. Instead he battled his way through Catholic school. Here is an interesting stat. 350 got in the his Catholic HS from about 900 applicants, 5 years ago. This year, roughly 2000 applicants.  And the libs want to shut down charter schools. 

Point to note...its not the teachers...they are so frustrated by the terrible policies and lack of support...teaching and holding kids accountable is long gone.  Blame the state boards...blame administration but dont blame the teachers who battle apathetic students day after day and cant hold them accountable.  Sure there are bad teachers...im not saying that...but alot of them go to war every day and try to have a positive impact.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Point to note...its not the teachers...they are so frustrated by the terrible policies and lack of support...teaching and holding kids accountable is long gone.  Blame the state boards...blame administration but dont blame the teachers who battle apathetic students day after day and cant hold them accountable.  Sure there are bad teachers...im not saying that...but alot of them go to war every day and try to have a positive impact.

Maybe if they didn't teach that "new math" crap, parents could help their kids out more.  Where is the focking "carry the one"???!!!

16 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That statement was enough for you to say, "oh, ok"?  You didn't ask any questions?  I mean, off the top of my head, the following came to mind...

• If kids only need 6.5 months of school... why are they going 9?
  • Since they are going 9, are you saying they're not doing anything for 2.5 months?
  • If class scores across the nation are low, then what's going on?
    • Why can they learn enough to pass on to the next grade in 6.5 months, but not test well enough?
    • Are teachers just showing up to "work" in the last 2.5 months to give kids "busy work"... as an expensive Day Care service?
    • Why are we paying teachers for 9 months when they can get their job done in 6.5?
  • Shouldn't the standards then be higher to move up to the next grade?

Full disclosure, I've had these questions for teachers for years, and none ever answer them.  I ask them these questions after I hear them say "I stop grading in April" or "There's nothing left to cover in the year."  Apparently, you're wife seems to be in agreement with this as she feels the kids learned enough to move on to the next grade.  The only time they try to give an answer is when they blame the administrators or someone else.

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Teachers share a lot of blame though... they're union supports Democrats and they blindly follow, not realizing that the Democrats are the one's causing the situation.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That statement was enough for you to say, "oh, ok"?  You didn't ask any questions?  I mean, off the top of my head, the following came to mind...

• If kids only need 6.5 months of school... why are they going 9?
  • Since they are going 9, are you saying they're not doing anything for 2.5 months?
  • If class scores across the nation are low, then what's going on?
    • Why can they learn enough to pass on to the next grade in 6.5 months, but not test well enough?
    • Are teachers just showing up to "work" in the last 2.5 months to give kids "busy work"... as an expensive Day Care service?
    • Why are we paying teachers for 9 months when they can get their job done in 6.5?
  • Shouldn't the standards then be higher to move up to the next grade?

Full disclosure, I've had these questions for teachers for years, and none ever answer them.  I ask them these questions after I hear them say "I stop grading in April" or "There's nothing left to cover in the year."  Apparently, you're wife seems to be in agreement with this as she feels the kids learned enough to move on to the next grade.  The only time they try to give an answer is when they blame the administrators or someone else.

To be honest, I wasn't all that concerned.  I don't think there are any final decisions on what's going to happen yet.  As of now, I think they're still scheduled to return to school April 6th but I really doubt that's going to happen.  I don't think our area schools have officially canceled their school year yet.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Teachers share a lot of blame though... they're union supports Democrats and they blindly follow, not realizing that the Democrats are the one's causing the situation.

Not all teachers have a union.

Not all teachers have a union.

The ones that set the agenda  and have enough money for an army of lobbyists do. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

The ones that set the tone and have enough money for an army of lobbyists do. 

Probably, I just know that not every state is the same.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

To be honest, I wasn't all that concerned.  I don't think there are any final decisions on what's going to happen yet.  As of now, I think they're still scheduled to return to school April 6th but I really doubt that's going to happen.  I don't think our area schools have officially canceled their school year yet.

Your wife said that the kids have learned enough by now to move to the next grade.  What the decision is on whether to cancel the year or not has nothing to do with it.  If the kids did learn enough, then just cancel it and be done with the year.  Stop spending time and resources on try to patch work something that won't really help.

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

No teacher blame. Some are great, some suck, like any other profession.  Schools used to cater to the mid student, now they devote their energy to the low end.  No child left behind stuff. 

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Your wife said that the kids have learned enough by now to move to the next grade.  What the decision is on whether to cancel the year or not has nothing to do with it.  If the kids did learn enough, then just cancel it and be done with the year.  Stop spending time and resources on try to patch work something that won't really help.

I'm not explaining this very well because I'm trying to pass along info that I got from my wife.  Don't take my word as exactly as what's going on, it's just how I interpreted it.  She made it sound like it would be easier for her school to do it because they have gotten further into their semester classes than the schools that have trimesters.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm not explaining this very well because I'm trying to pass along info that I got from my wife.  Don't take my word as exactly as what's going on, it's just how I interpreted it.  She made it sound like it would be easier for her school to do it because they have gotten further into their semester classes than the schools that have trimesters.

Fair enough.

• Like 1

Police fire and mostly the military stepped up after 9/11. It’s the teachers turn. Just get it done  when the time comes. 

Every state has a curriculum that is supposed to be followed to determine what a kid should know before advancing.  You can look it up and quiz your kids....

Its a crap shoot as to what sticks and what doesnt.

First off....we need year round school....our current system is  outdated and based on the harvest..kids needed for planting and harvesting.  Should be full year with small mini breaks.  I agree.

Teachers have their pay spread out over 26 pays...so they dont have to budget the summers....some choose not too.

It cracks me up how people cant understand this concept.   They take their 9 month salary....and divide it by 26 - 2 week pay periods.  Its not rocket science.  Thats why teachers get paid for a whole year. Lol.

Education is a rag doll for the next big thing...lobbyists convince them this test or method will raise performance....they get rich

1 minute ago, Cloaca du jour said:

First off....we need year round school....our current system is  outdated and based on the harvest..kids needed for planting and harvesting.  Should be full year with small mini breaks.  I agree.

Teachers have their pay spread out over 26 pays...so they dont have to budget the summers....some choose not too.

It cracks me up how people cant understand this concept.   They take their 9 month salary....and divide it by 26 - 2 week pay periods.  Its not rocket science.  Thats why teachers get paid for a whole year. Lol.

Education is a rag doll for the next big thing...lobbyists convince them this test or method will raise performance....they get rich

There's going to be a lot of schools that need to start adding air conditioning if they switch to year round.

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There's going to be a lot of schools that need to start adding air conditioning if they switch to year round.

They had to put in toilets and a cafeteria at one time too. 

8 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Some school districts offer year round pay, others don't.  Sometimes teachers don't have a choice.  I agree with much of what you said.

In NJ, it's collectively bargained that teachers don't work after June 30th.  I find it funny how they say they "need" the 2+ months off, because their jobs are so stressful... like no ones else's is.  The problem I foresee with year round schooling is that teachers will want more money.  In my opinion, they're already getting paid enough to work year round.  When taxes go up because of it, people will complain.  LOL

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

They had to put in toilets and a cafeteria at one time too. 

Not quite the same.  Schools were built with toilets and a cafeteria.  Many schools in Iowa do not have air conditioning and I'm not sure how easy or expensive it would be to add it now.

Not quite the same.  Schools were built with toilets and a cafeteria.  Many schools in Iowa do not have air conditioning and I'm not sure how easy or expensive it would be to add it now.

I see nothing wrong with allocating money to pay for things that are needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Is there a window in the classroom? Viola! AC. Now you just have to get the teachers to wear a sweater if they are too cold with the AC on 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Is there a window in the classroom? Viola! AC. Now you just have to get the teachers to wear a sweater if they are too cold with the AC on 

Unless they're attractive.  Then they need to wear form fitting shirts, no bras and I need a live-feed of the classroom with the ability to zoom in...

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Obviously that's an option but not every classroom in every school has that ability.  When I went to high school we never had any classrooms with windows.  Only the main offices had windows.

43 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Obviously that's an option but not every classroom in every school has that ability.  When I went to high school we never had any classrooms with windows.  Only the main offices had windows.

You win. 

48 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There are only a handful of main offices in a school; many more classrooms.  You are saying that the schools in Iowa basically have no windows?  This strikes me as a... lie?  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

There are only a handful of main offices in a school; many more classrooms.  You are saying that the schools in Iowa basically have no windows?  This strikes me as a... lie?  :thumbsup:

I didn't say that all the schools in Iowa have no windows.  I just know that there are some that don't have any.  There are schools where some rooms do and some don't.  A lot of the older schools do not have A/C.

The high school I went to didn't have windows in any classrooms but the grade school I went to had them in every room.