fandandy

Cancelling School Year

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

There are only a handful of main offices in a school; many more classrooms.  You are saying that the schools in Iowa basically have no windows?  This strikes me as a... lie?  :thumbsup:

I would suspect in most places it would be part of the building code to have windows, in the event of a fire.  Same reason you can't build a legal bedroom in a basement without an egress window of a certain size.

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

I would suspect in most places it would be part of the building code to have windows, in the event of a fire.  Same reason you can't build a legal bedroom in a basement without an egress window of a certain size.

I think some older schools might not be in compliance with current building codes.  One of the districts near here has some pretty run down buildings.  One of them is full of crumbling asbestos tile, but students and teachers trudge through there every day. 

7 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I think some older schools might not be in compliance with current building codes.  One of the districts near here has some pretty run down buildings.  One of them is full of crumbling asbestos tile, but students and teachers trudge through there every day. 

Well, at a certain point we have to stop not doing things because a small minority may not be able to.  In another thread, it was reported that the entire school district isn't allowed to do official remote teaching because a small percentage of their low income residents might not have internet.  So, we're focking 99% of the kids due to the Kenny's of the world? 

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Well, at a certain point we have to stop not doing things because a small minority may not be able to.  In another thread, it was reported that the entire school district isn't allowed to do official remote teaching because a small percentage of their low income residents might not have internet.  So, we're focking 99% of the kids due to the Kenny's of the world? 

I don't disagree.  As I said previously.  I'd like to see the kids go to school during the summer if they can't go back and finish on time this year.  One summer out of their lives isn't a huge sacrifice to make sure they stay up to speed.  

Just now, vuduchile said:

I don't disagree.  As I said previously.  I'd like to see the kids go to school during the summer if they can't go back and finish on time this year.  One summer out of their lives isn't a huge sacrifice to make sure they stay up to speed.  

I agree with this 100%.  Went round and round with Hawkeye about this exact suggestion yesterday.  He thinks we should just pass everyone on the next grade despite not having done the work.  God forbid we disrupt a kids summer!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

I agree with this 100%.  Went round and round with Hawkeye about this exact suggestion yesterday.  He thinks we should just pass everyone on the next grade despite not having done the work.  God forbid we disrupt a kids teacher's summer!!!

FTFY

9 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

FTFY

Rat's ass.  Most of us don't get three plus months off to play every year.  For the good of the kids they can forego one summer.  They're off right now anyways.

Another issue with education that no one talks about is there are too many damn schools...every little town has 3 buildings or more and they are all strapped for funding...there just isnt enough.  Many new schools being built are more like large campuses that can accomodate more students and consolidate the funding.  Where I live at one time they had 6 schools...3 elementaries...2 middles and a high school.  Everything is condensed now.  Too many schools...need to consolidate these small town schools into campuses and it will make things better.

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

Rat's ass.  Most of us don't get three plus months off to play every year.  For the good of the kids they can forego one summer.  They're off right now anyways.

Most teachers take on a second job in the summer...you would be suprised at the stats.  I have friends that serve tables...construction...lawn care...etc.  

2 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Most teachers take on a second job in the summer...you would be suprised at the stats.

Yeah, your wife is really good with the "jobs" she performs for me during the summer.

(too lazy to see if your wife is a teacher but I couldn't let a good joke go to waste) 

15 minutes ago, Strike said:

Isn't his wife a teacher?  That was my point...I think he only cares because then his wife doesn't get to enjoy her summer.

Just now, DonS said:

Yeah, your wife is really good with the "jobs" she performs for me during the summer.

(too lazy to see if your wife is a teacher but I couldn't let a good joke go to waste) 

I wouldnt expect anything less 👍👍

21 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

My youngest is a junior in HS as well.  Of course, he has an easy course load this trimester, so it is not really much for him to do.  He has no real aspirations either, so it should be fine for him. He is unmotivated, not too bright and a BS artist.  He is going to be a politician.  

What's his screen name here? 

1 hour ago, Strike said:

I agree with this 100%.  Went round and round with Hawkeye about this exact suggestion yesterday.  He thinks we should just pass everyone on the next grade despite not having done the work.  God forbid we disrupt a kids summer!!!

You make it sound like I was strongly against it or something.  I just said I didn't care for doing it that way.  If that's what happens I'm fine with it.

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Most teachers take on a second job in the summer...you would be suprised at the stats.  I have friends that serve tables...construction...lawn care...etc.  

My wife coaches and umpires during the summer.  A lot teachers I know do other work as well.  

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My wife coaches and umpires during the summer.  A lot teachers I know do other work as well.  

Yeah, no other public servants do that. Sometimes they have to go to their second job after working at their first. And they don’t have off during the summer. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, no other public servants do that. Sometimes they have to go to their second job after working at their first. And they don’t have off during the summer. 

What does that have to do with anything?  Some teachers do that as well.  What is it with you guys and teachers?

36 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What does that have to do with anything?  Some teachers do that as well.  What is it with you guys and teachers?

Maybe being a public servant at one time myself gives me a different insight? Sorry I’m not getting all ferklumped about a Phys Ed teacher reffing a game in their off time. BFD about their side gigs. DGAF. I know guys that worked till midnight and got up at 6 for theirs. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Maybe being a public servant at one time myself gives me a different insight? Sorry I’m not getting all ferklumped about a Phys Ed teacher reffing a game in their off time. BFD about their side gigs. DGAF. I know guys that worked till midnight and got up at 6 for theirs. 

Cool.  I also know people who only work less than 40 hours a week and don't have to do anything when they get home.  What's with the pissing contest?  Sometimes you guys get really sensitive here.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Cool.  I also know people who only work less than 40 hours a week and don't have to do anything when they get home.  What's with the pissing contest?  Sometimes you guys get really sensitive here.

You brought up the fact about them working a side gig.  Seeing as this site is about opinions, I gave you mine. I’ll say it again: BFD. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You brought up the fact about them working a side gig.  Seeing as this site is about opinions, I gave you mine. I’ll say it again: BFD. 

It means a lot of teachers work just as much as everyone else and in some cases even more.  For some reason people are getting their panties in bunch about teachers as if they don't work that much.

14 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It means a lot of teachers work just as much as everyone else and in some cases even more.  For some reason people are getting their panties in bunch about teachers as if they don't work that much.

They get paid an annual salary for working 9 months.  Many may work a second job but many do not, just like many average joe's.  You have no idea what percentage of teachers do this, regardless of the fact that your whole family appears to be teachers.  IOW, STFU unless you have some actual data.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You make it sound like I was strongly against it or something.  I just said I didn't care for doing it that way.  If that's what happens I'm fine with it.

I factually described our discussion.  That is all.

Just now, Strike said:

They get paid an annual salary for working 9 months.  Many may work a second job but many do not, just like many average joe's.  You have no idea what percentage of teachers do this, regardless of the fact that your whole family appears to be teachers.  IOW, STFU unless you have some actual data.

How many hours do you think the average teacher works in that 9 month period?  I'm actually curious myself because I think it's more than most people think.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

How many hours do you think the average teacher works in that 9 month period?  I'm actually curious myself because I think it's more than most people think.

Couldn't tell you.  I do know that many people with real jobs work a lot of hours.  Why should teachers be any different?  The difference is they get 3+ months off a year.  That's unique to that profession.

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Couldn't tell you.  I do know that many people with real jobs work a lot of hours.  Why should teachers be any different?  The difference is they get 3+ months off a year.  That's unique to that profession.

I don’t even care they get off for the summer. I want my kids off too. But when the time comes that they have to step up I don’t want to hear any BS. Just get it done

17 minutes ago, Strike said:

It is unique but they also do a lot of work outside of the classroom that a many people aren't aware of.

Teachers are off now and still getting paid.  They can extend the school year by 6 weeks and still get some time off.  

That’s a reasonable compromise given the situation.  

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Teachers are off now and still getting paid.  They can extend the school year by 6 weeks and still get some time off.  

That’s a reasonable compromise given the situation.  

I think that's reasonable too and I don't think you'd see many complaints from teachers.  I think they want to be back at school like normal right now.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It is unique but they also do a lot of work outside of the classroom that a many people aren't aware of.

So do we. I will put my workday against theirs any day. And I love teachers, but don’t say they work hard or a lot.

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So do we. I will put my workday against theirs any day. And I love teachers, but don’t say they work hard or a lot.

When you say “work hard” what are you referring to?  I ask because I find that some people think physical labor is the only kind of hard work. 

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

When you say “work hard” what are you referring to?  I ask because I find that some people think physical labor is the only kind of hard work. 

What is it with you and this “work hard” thing?  Cant it just be a given that they work hard? Care to give me some examples of workers that don’t work hard, so I can compare? 

I will put working at the post office, or truck driving up against any non medical/life saving type job anyday as far as hours

in the year I worked at the post office I AVERAGED 65 hours a week, and never had 2 days off in a week and sometimes worked 20 straight days

with my class A, I dont use it as much but the guy I went to school with gets 4 days at home a month, and his hours when hes not driving he spends it in his truck or a diner

I would gladly take the easy job of teaching 35 hours a week 9 months a year, with a little at home time

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What is it with you and this “work hard” thing?  Cant it just be a given that they work hard? Care to give me some examples of workers that don’t work hard, so I can compare? 

Digby?

23 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

To claim teachers don’t work hard or a lot is not completely accurate was all I was getting at. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

To claim teachers don’t work hard or a lot is not completely accurate was all I was getting at. 

Wife looking over your shoulder a lot today?  

Home schooling and expecting your kid to end up smart is like home cooking and expecting Gordon Ramsay’s cooking. 

Aren’t teachers just showing kids what lessons to YouTube nowadays anyway? 

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It’s not that I agree or disagree.  I just can’t believe you said it publicly.  God Bless the Geek Club!  

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Let's see. If I am at work before them and then home after them, and I work year round, then I think that could be part of it.  I get that grading papers can be cumbersome, but many things are done online. I can tell you from where I live (and we supposedly have good schools in MA), they don't know squat.  I have lots of friends that are teachers, but they were not the best and brightest.  They also aren't the ones that I would call "driven".  Could be completely anecdotal, but unless you have worked in the real world where you are measured on what you complete and your production, I don't know that teachers can appreciate that.

BTW - my father works in a school.  My grandparents both did.  I am talking from what I have seen them do day-in and day-out.  Not lazy people, but they have NEVER said that they are busting their ass.