fandandy

Cancelling School Year

Michigan's governor, Whitmer, is talking about it.  I assume this will happen eventually but it still sucks.  What's the talk where you guys live?  I wonder how this will be handled.  My daughter is a junior and does really well in school.  I assume they won't make the kids repeat the grade but what about all the information they never learned?  Supposedly her school cannot do online classes or schoolwork because 20% of the students do not have the internet at home.  I find that hard to believe but who knows.  She will be off for over 5 months if this happens.

My daughter is a senior in Ohio...dewine hasnt said...but it wouldnt suprise me

Virginia is the first I have heard of but I think New York will be shortly. Northam beat Cuomo.

Michigan here .I knew this was going to happen and have already talked to his mom about it. The boy is in K and I am not prepared to send him on to 1st on a half year of K. He's not ready and he is gonna struggle. 

8 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Michigan here .I knew this was going to happen and have already talked to his mom about it. The boy is in K and I am not prepared to send him on to 1st on a half year of K. He's not ready and he is gonna struggle. 

Don't do it.  

I don't see how any schools could go back this school year.  No way things are going to be close to being normal where they can go back.  My wife's principal told her that they won't go back, it just hasn't been made official.

Do your best to home school.  Online classes are all over youtube.  SAT or ACT prep classes are online.  I would tell her to look at this time to see who becomes home-bound lazy slobs and who uses this time to differentiate themselves from their peers.  Spin it positive.

My wife is a preschool teacher (Pre-K) and is out of work.  I am working from home.  We've decided to dedicate two/three hours a day to homeschooling.   I do math and she does the rest.

:dunno:

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Do your best to home school.  Online classes are all over youtube.  SAT or ACT prep classes are online.  I would tell her to look at this time to see who becomes home-bound lazy slobs and who uses this time to differentiate themselves from their peers.  Spin it positive.

My wife is a preschool teacher (Pre-K) and is out of work.  I am working from home.  We've decided to dedicate two/three hours a day to homeschooling.   I do math and she does the rest.

:dunno:

Khan Academy claims the highest SAT scores by a lot.  And it's free.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Khan Academy claims the highest SAT scores by a lot.  And it's free.  :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I was looking at them and

https://allinonehomeschool.com/

Not sure which one to go with.

Let's assume you do go back to school.  How are you going to make up a month plus of missed learning? 

17 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Don't do it.  

I am absolutely going to dig my heels in on this. He is NOT going to the first if this is the end of the school year.  He is NOT going to try to play catch up for the rest of his school life. 

49 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Virginia is the first I have heard of but I think New York will be shortly. Northam beat Cuomo.

Schools are closed for sure the rest of the academic year, but they are still deciding on what they are going to do...

Whatever happens, it'll have nothing to do with the students' well being and everything to do with the teachers' contracts and demands.  Bank on it.

6 minutes ago, posty said:

Schools are closed for sure the rest of the academic year, but they are still deciding on what they are going to do...

Kansas announced it several days ago.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Whatever happens, it'll have nothing to do with the students' well being and everything to do with the teachers' contracts and demands.  Bank on it.

Personal problems?

I'm torn on this because I have one son who's never gotten any grade other than A's.  School is easy for him. He scores in the top 10-15% in the state tests and is pretty much ready for 7th grade now.  Academically, he'd be fine   Physically, he's about in the middle for his age.  Sports isn't really the top consideration here, but it is part of the equation since my kids are very much into sports.  He would definitely benefit from another year of HS eligibility.  He's one of the youngest in his class.

My youngest son gets A's and B's but has to work really hard to get them.  He doesn't like studying, and math is a thorn in his side.  I'm concerned that he won't be ready for the jump to middle school after missing so much classroom time.  He's also one of the youngest kids in his class, but he's one of the tallest and among the most athletic.  He already shines in baseball and football.  He'd might dominate if he was held back another year.

The last part of the equation is the stigma of being held back while some of their friends move up.  If the numbers were somewhat equal and they had enough friends who moved up or down with them, it might be ok.  

It's quite a mess.   Lots of decisions to be made

I assume it is just a matter of time before Minnesota calls it too.  We were scheduled to start online learning last Wednesday but since the rest of the state couldn't we'll have to wait to start after our Spring Break.  Teachers are providing optional learning materials...but it seems our district is the only one around here doing that.  My wife and I are both working from home and both of us provide some instruction but it's nowhere near as structured as school.

I am not a teacher, kilroy, but having had a couple kids go through kindergarten I can say just put a book in your kids hands.  Read to him as much as possible.  I think that is the one thing that is really stressed early in education.  Maybe some simple math and ABCs as well.  And I'd say he's learning way more critical thinking/problem solving skills being with you on the lake/in the wilderness than in a classroom.  I obviously know nothing about your kid, but I think doing those things will set him up for success academically in the future.  If you're more worried about social stuff....yeah, that's a different consideration.  If you think he's not ready....he's not ready.  Don't force it.

10 minutes ago, posty said:

You can bet your house on this, there will be no school after Labor day and until after Memorial day. Period.

39 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I do math and she does the rest.

By doing the math do you mean saying to your wife, I think if we dedicate two to three hours each day to homeschooling that we'll be fine.  Good luck honey! ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I am absolutely going to dig my heels in on this. He is NOT going to the first if this is the end of the school year.  He is NOT going to try to play catch up for the rest of his school life. 

You can teach him way more man..he can be ahead ...trust me...abcs and 123s..give him a solid basis in those and he will be fine.   He will be fine...keep him away from the tech and play stuff where he has to think...you get the idea

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Teachers in my area have reached out to low income families to make sure their needs are being met.  Those teachers seem to realize that for some, they are the only reliable community resource families can rely on....at least on a personal level.  I'm sure it is not stipulated that they do something extra in their contracts.....they just believe they can help shape a kids life for the better, and they do the best they can to model that behavior.

Some teachers are probably more concerned about what's in it for them....but some of them are awesome.  It's kinda dumb to paint in such broad strokes.

I think they just need to extend school into the summer if things are stabilized by June. 

Let them go June 1 - Aug. 7.  Then give them a break until after Labor Day. 

It's one summer out of our lives.  It won't kill us.  

The Seniors are the ones who get the shaft either way.  No getting around that.  

1 minute ago, FeelingMN said:

Teachers in my area have reached out to low income families to make sure their needs are being met.  Those teachers seem to realize that for some, they are the only reliable community resource families can rely on....at least on a personal level.  I'm sure it is not stipulated that they do something extra in their contracts.....they just believe they can help shape a kids life for the better, and they do the best they can to model that behavior.

Some teachers are probably more concerned about what's in it for them....but some of them are awesome.  It's kinda dumb to paint in such broad strokes.

Teachers are the only ones that do that?  Amazing!!!  :doh:

Clearly, that wasn't my point.  My point was, since you missed it, was that when school gets back up and running, the welfare of the students will play second fiddle to what the teachers want.

4 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I think they just need to extend school into the summer if things are stabilized by June. 

Let them go June 1 - Aug. 7.  Then give them a break until after Labor Day. 

It's one summer out of our lives.  It won't kill us.  

The Seniors are the ones who get the shaft either way.  No getting around that.  

Nah. There are 5 months a year that drive the US economy.  If this crisis is over, there will be no kids in school in summer, they need people spending money.

This could be a real boon school districts.  They will keep collecting full property taxes. 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Nah. There are 5 months a year that drive the US economy.  If this crisis is over, there will be no kids in school in summer, they need people spending money.

You're likely right about what will happen.  But that's not in the best interest of the kids and their education. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

This could be a real boon school districts.  They will keep collecting full property taxes. 

Are most teachers still getting paid right now?  I know they are here, but our district is unique.

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

You're likely right about what will happen.  But that's not in the best interest of the kids and their education. 

They quit caring about education in my area about 20 years ago.  It's all about daycare and meals.  You'll notice that is all people are talking about with schools being out.

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Are most teachers still getting paid right now?  I know they are here, but our district is unique.

My wife's school is still paying their teachers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

I would assume they are but hourly support staff, custodians, cafeteria personnel are not being paid.  Also, don't need to pay for heating, air conditioning, electricity and water.

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

I would assume they are but hourly support staff, custodians, cafeteria personnel are not being paid.  Also, don't need to pay for heating, air conditioning, electricity and water.

Many districts are still supplying meals to kids, so some cafeteria and custodial staff is needed.  Of course, they're actually working for their money.  The teachers are pretending to work by sending emails with stuff for the kids to do, but that's not really working. 

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

They quit caring about education in my area about 20 years ago.  It's all about daycare and meals.  You'll notice that is all people are talking about with schools being out.

Granted, those are the primary concerns for lots of people, but they aren't mine.  My kids are at home with their grandma and my wife is also working from home.  We pay for all their meals anyway.  They rarely even eat the free breakfast since they eat breakfast at home most of the time.  I'm most concerned with their preparedness to move to the next level and I'm not alone.  

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Some of you really have a negative opinion towards teachers.

There are some great teachers, but there are also some awful ones.  Just like any other profession.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Some of you really have a negative opinion towards teachers.

I haven't seen this, perhaps I missed it.  :dunno:

Yes, all teachers are still getting paid.  They are contract government employees and are technically still working.  NJ schools have been closed for almost 2 weeks and my nephew comes with me to my office and hangs out.  Does his homework and finishes a full day's worth of work in about an hour and a half.  The teachers are essentially just giving the kids "busy work".

• Like 1