1. 1. What is your favorite Rush album?

• Rush
    • Fly by Night
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals

2112 was awesome. Not a big Rush fan. Moving Pictures will probably win this one. 

Geddy Lee sounds like a whiny woman when he sings and he looks like an even uglier woman

Rush is easily in the Top 10-15 range when it comes to best power trios of all time.

25 minutes ago, posty said:

He wrote two pretty good books...

Private Parts?

58 minutes ago, BufordT said:

Rush is easily in the Top 10-15 range when it comes to best power trios of all time.

top 5, probably 3

• Thanks 1

Just now, Herbivore said:

top 5, probably 3

Not even top 3 canadian.

Nickleback > Rush

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Not even top 3 canadian.

Nickleback > Rush

Only in albums sold

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

Not even top 3 canadian.

Nickleback > Rush

Nickleback is a trio?  I assumed they had like 8 to make those lush sounds.  

17 minutes ago, edjr said:

Not even top 3 canadian.

Nickleback > Rush

I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read this.  Would have ruined a keyboard.

Just now, Strike said:

I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read this.  Would have ruined a keyboard.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Nickleback is a trio?  I assumed they had like 8 to make those lush sounds.  

Chad Kroeger really hits me in that spot.

38 minutes ago, edjr said:

Private Parts?

:lol:

But seriously...

"The Way Things Ought to Be"

"See, I Told You So"

43 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

top 5, probably 3

I was half kidding with 10-15 range for power trios. I can't put them in the Top 5, though.. I always found Geddy's voice annoying and overrated. Never understood the hype.

Cream, Jimi Hendrix Exp, Green Day, Nirvana, The Police are a solid Top 5. 

6-10 you have in no particular order.  ZZ Top > Rush, Blink 182, maybe Sublime and who knows...so Rush Top 9 probably 7.

2 hours ago, BufordT said:

Rush is easily in the Top 10-15 range when it comes to best bands of all time.

Fixed. 

Also, Metallica next. 

28 minutes ago, BufordT said:

I was half kidding with 10-15 range for power trios. I can't put them in the Top 5, though.. I always found Geddy's voice annoying and overrated. Never understood the hype.

6-10 you have in no particular order.  ZZ Top > Rush, Blink 182, maybe Sublime and who knows...so Rush Top 9 probably 7.

Police and ZZ Top have a claim at top 5.  Nirvana and Sublime..no, and I am bigger fan than most here.  Blink 182..hells no, you didnt find Toms voice annoying?  Green Day, maybe, I just never much liked them after Dookie and Nimrod.

• Like 1

Tough call, as my favorite tends to vary as well. Ultimately chose 2112 w/ Moving Pictures a very close 2nd.

While not listed I do have a soft spot for Power Windows.  This was the first Rush album I ever brought.  I bought it on cassette at a mall in Quebec City while on a high school class trip for French class.  Listened to it nonstop with my high tech Sony Walkman on the long bus ride home. 

Now get off my lawn! 

8 minutes ago, DonS said:

Don't forget the other Canadian power trio: Triumph! 

Very underrated.  :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, Strike said:

Very underrated.  :thumbsup:

Went with Moving Pictures; as with Iron Maiden, I went with the album which introduced me to Rush.  Honorable mention to Permanent Waves and 2112, each of which I discovered earlier.  

4 hours ago, edjr said:

Private Parts?

Not that was his twin. 

Joey Ramone

I've been a fan since 1974 when I heard "Working Man" on WMMS in Cleveland Ohio  :headbanger: (which broke them in America btw)

My friends and I ate up the debut album for a year or so through countless hours of billiards and sleepovers. When "Fly By Night" came out it quickly became an absolute fave, I absolutely loved the artwork as well. I had a kick ass stereo and it totally rocked. Before they "made it", 5 more albums were released. To me the 70's albums were by far their best work, and "Fly By Night" has remained my favorite for many reasons.

When "Tom Sawyer" became huge, they were no longer "My Band", but the World's :( 

4 hours ago, BufordT said:

IMO just because a group has 3 primary members doesn't immediately qualify them for best power trio (sounds weird but hear me out).  IMO each member has to be good enough to be known by name, for excellence with the band and if applicable success after the band broke up.  Cream is maybe the top of the list (Clapton, Baker, Bruce).  Police (Sting, Copeland, Summers).  Rush (Lee, Peart, Lifeson).  I'll add Nirvana although I had to look up their bassist (Cobain, Grohl (but not always), bassist guy).  Green Day is a great band but I didn't know they were a trio; I've only heard of the lead singer Armstrong.  ZZ Top is good but I couldn't name a member, they just happened to have 3 guys.  Nickelback is a quartet as per Wiki, and even if not it has Chad Kroeger and a box of rocks.  Blink 182, Sublime, really?

Another criteria, which my top 4 above meet, is the volume of sound they produce.  In other words, after hearing a song, are you surprised that only 3 people are performing and not more?  In this category I would add Triumph, which others have mentioned.  But I couldn't name a member so... I'll stick with my top 4.

Actually I'll add Crosby Stills and Nash to round out the top 5.  Not "power" per se  of course, but incredibly talented and successful.

2 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I've been a fan since 1974 when I heard "Working Man" on WMMS in Cleveland Ohio  :headbanger:

My friends and I ate up the debut album for a year or so through countless hours of billiards and sleepovers. When "Fly By Night" came out it quickly became an absolute fave, I absolutely loved the alrwork as well. I had a kick ass stereo and it totally rocked. Before they "made it", 5 more albums were released. To me the 70's albums were by far their best work, and "Fly By Night" has remained my favorite for many reasons.

Yeah, all of their stuff through Moving Pictures was awesome.  Subdivisions was a big disappointment, as were many of the awesome 70s bands who tried to fit into the synth pop 80s.  Yes (90210), Styx (Cornerstone, although they recovered with Paradise Theatre then totally shiot the bed with Kilroy was Here) were among my other disappointments.

15 minutes ago, DonS said:

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto. Domo. 

you're thinking Journey 😉

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

you're thinking Journey 😉

Huh?? 

Just now, shotsup said:

ZZTop next

or Aerosmith 

Both 70’s only please 

Album with Force Ten and Time Stand Still was pretty awesome, too. 

17 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Album with Force Ten and Time Stand Still was pretty awesome, too. 

Hold Your Fire

21 hours ago, DonS said:

Don't forget the other Canadian power trio: Triumph! 

Glad I read the whole thread was going to mention them too :thumbsup:

I went with A Farewell To Kings,it was the first album(thanks to English Lit class) that I learned Peart was borrowing from old literature when we had to read Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem

Kubla Khan.Cygnus X-1 is also one of my favorite Rush tunes ever,

1 hour ago, nzoner said:

Glad I read the whole thread was going to mention them too :thumbsup:

Listening to them on shuffle right now.  Fight the good fight, b1tches!!!! 

• Like 1