Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Maryland man arrested for hosting 60 people at bonfire, violating governor's order

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/2020-wwe-wrestlemania-36-matches-card-coronavirus-plans-dates-rumors-start-time-location/

CHARLES COUNTY, Md. (ABC7) — A Maryland man has been arrested by the Charles County Sheriff’s Department for violating Gov. Larry Hogan's emergency order that people may not gather in groups larger than 10.

According to to the sheriff's office, Shawn Marshall Myers, 41, hosted a gathering of approximately 60 people Friday night for a bonfire in the 15000 block of Lukes Lane in Hughesville .

When he repeatedly refused orders to disperse the group, he was arrested and charged, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.

It’s believed to be the first arrest in the state for group size following Hogan's order covering the coronavirus.

🙄

Isn't it the fault of everyone who was there? They all were there willingly. Either throw them all in a big cell for two weeks or let them go. They all are kind of being dumbasses.

23 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Unless he charged admission and am completely against this

Why? His actions potentially harmed other people.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Why? His actions potentially harmed other people.

We have a constitutional right to peacefully assemble. We can not sacrifice these rights in times of trouble. I think it is important to keep an eye on what we are willing to accept during this crisis

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Isn't it the fault of everyone who was there? They all were there willingly. Either throw them all in a big cell for two weeks or let them go. They all are kind of being dumbasses.

If you were the 3rd or 4th person to show up, Meh, whatever no biggie. Thought no one else would show up. if you were the 20th to show up and you stayed, you're a focking toolbbag

3 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

We have a constitutional right to peacefully assemble. We can not sacrifice these rights in times of trouble. I think it is important to keep an eye on what we are willing to accept during this crisis

I don't have a problem with emergency powers limiting right to assemble in a pandemic situation. But we should have had that conversation long ago.

Imagine if this pandemic was worse. Like ebola liquifying organs kind of bad. Like almost certain death to anyone who catches it bad.

Is the constitution a suicide pact? Must we allow a small number of dumbasses to destroy us all? 

5 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I don't have a problem with emergency powers limiting right to assemble in a pandemic situation. But we should have had that conversation long ago.

Imagine if this pandemic was worse. Like ebola liquifying organs kind of bad. Like almost certain death to anyone who catches it bad.

Is the constitution a suicide pact? Must we allow a small number of dumbasses to destroy us all? 

Im really not willing to have any civil liberties suspended due to a government deemed emergency 

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

Im really not willing to have any civil liberties suspended due to a government deemed emergency 

What if your notion of civil liberties is an illusion, only existing in times of health and peace?

36 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

You know, I actually agree with this.  The guy only invited the people, he didn't force them to show up.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You know, I actually agree with this.  The guy only invited the people, he didn't force them to show up.

It's no different than the A-hole at a bar that drinks too much. Yet they blame the bar. The licker store never gets blamed :wacko:

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

What if your notion of civil liberties is an illusion, only existing in times of health and peace?

Guess we will see if that is the case huh?

Is it a coincidence the amendment that is defended the loudest is the one that can be turned into a commodity (gun)

Just now, bandrus1 said:

Guess we will see if that is the case huh?

Is it a coincidence the amendment that is defended the loudest is the one that can be turned into a commodity (gun)

Dont quite understand you're post. I do know that if it all caves in tomorrow that amendment will be the only one left. It won't be called an amendment though,  it will just be reality. 

8 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Dont quite understand you're post. I do know that if it all caves in tomorrow that amendment will be the only one left. It won't be called an amendment though,  it will just be reality. 

My point is that it seems as though the right that is most vocally advocated to protect is the one that has a commodity that can be marketed and sold. Most likely because there is a whole industry backing its protecting because they stand to lose profits. I really dont think it is a good idea to accept being arrested for peacefully gathering  

43 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Not that I totally disagree, but I think the state’s argument would be that the public safety supersedes this guy’s right to peacefully assemble in the short term. Unlike a lot of rights we gave up post 9/11 these restrictions have a time limit. And the guy was warned.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, edjr said:

It's no different than the A-hole at a bar that drinks too much. Yet they blame the bar. The licker store never gets blamed :wacko:

A while back I was bartending in this place, pretty busy most of the time. One day a couple cops come in and take out my co worker from behind the bar in handcuffs. Ends up he served some dude who got a DUI and the blame went back him. 

Fvck, that was unnerving. If bars and restaurants were not to serve people over the legal definition of what constitutes DUI BAC in any situation, they would all go out of business. You would have to somehow monitor their driving situation, give them a breathalyzer when they enter and frisk them to make sure they aren't carrying any booze on person, then weigh them, and designate how many drinks, according to what they order. And monitor and adjust according to the amount of time they spend drinking there. Then, just to be sure all procedures were followed, breathalyzer them on their way out and hold them if they are actually over.

Good luck folks. When in doubt, don't take responsibility for yourself, blame it on the bartender for over-serving you. 

53 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Surely you recognize that there are situations where that would be massively dangerous to society at large. You can argue over whether this is severe enough, but you have to agree there are possible situations that are. 

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

If they threw them in a cell together,  they could lawyer up and sue the county for not enforcing social distancing at the jail.  

35 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

If they threw them in a cell together,  they could lawyer up and sue the county for not enforcing social distancing at the jail.  

Yeah, there are so many problems with all of the enforcement of gatherings. What you mention, and also in the big picture being the citizen's basic rights. We don't want the government to call anything they want an emergency and feel they have the right to throw people who gather into prison. Then ultimately they can deem anything they want as "for our own good". Scary stuff.

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah, there are so many problems with all of the enforcement of gatherings. What you mention, and also in the big picture being the citizen's basic rights. We don't want the government to call anything they want an emergency and feel they have the right to throw people who gather into prison. Then ultimately they can deem anything they want as "for our own good". Scary stuff.

I was really being facetious. Pointing out how ironic it would be to get tossed in jail for violating the social distancing order, then turn around and sue the county for making you share a cell with all those same people.  

Now that I think about it - I've not seen anyone pulled over since this all broke out.

People are hauling ass, driving like bats out of hell bcoz they don't fear a traffic stop. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I was really being facetious. Pointing out how ironic it would be to get tossed in jail for violating the social distancing order, then turn around and sue the county for making you share a cell with all those same people.  

Of course. But they arrested 1 dude already for not dispersing a crowd? That's the thing. 

15 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Meh. We’ve been letting the government spy on, imprison and torture even US citizens for years in the name of the war on terror. The right to throw parties during a pandemic isn’t the hill I’m going to die on.

I don't think that the right to peaceably assemble applies to all groups in all situations.  It is intended to allow for protests and other discussions regarding governance.  And in 2020 you can "assemble" via video or phone conferencing. 

Hell, I'm pretty sure you couldn't have that bonfire here in Phoenix due to some combination of fire and smoke restrictions.  

Dumbasses being dumbasses.

21 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Now that I think about it - I've not seen anyone pulled over since this all broke out.

People are hauling ass, driving like bats out of hell bcoz they don't fear a traffic stop. :dunno:

Blew past a Statey going 90 the other day.  Doubt he looked up from his laptop.  Sorry. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

A while back I was bartending in this place, pretty busy most of the time. One day a couple cops come in and take out my co worker from behind the bar in handcuffs. Ends up he served some dude who got a DUI and the blame went back him. 

Fvck, that was unnerving. If bars and restaurants were not to serve people over the legal definition of what constitutes DUI BAC in any situation, they would all go out of business. You would have to somehow monitor their driving situation, give them a breathalyzer when they enter and frisk them to make sure they aren't carrying any booze on person, then weigh them, and designate how many drinks, according to what they order. And monitor and adjust according to the amount of time they spend drinking there. Then, just to be sure all procedures were followed, breathalyzer them on their way out and hold them if they are actually over.

Good luck folks. When in doubt, don't take responsibility for yourself, blame it on the bartender for over-serving you. 

What ever happened to your co-worker? I’ve always heard people say there’s some liability by the establishment, but it was also the ever elusive unicorn. 

3 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Exactly. Even if it meant that society was doomed and life as we know it would be wiped out, our civil liberties are much more important than eliminating that threat.

6 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

What ever happened to your co-worker? I’ve always heard people say there’s some liability by the establishment, but it was also the ever elusive unicorn. 

He ended up quitting. I wasn't tight with the dude so I never really found out the full outcome of it. We had a few career bartenders and waiters at the place but he wasn't one of them. He was in school and worked there nights and weekends. I do know his motivation to quit was the same reason I ultimately quit for and that was the whole liability thing. Last I had heard at the time he had an open court date and that was about it. Maybe he got a slap on the wrist and was told to go back to the alcohol responsibility class that all waiters and bartenders have to go to anyway in that county every year. Or maybe a huge fine. I really am not sure.

And that class is a joke. It's just set up because the state (or county or city) want to be able to put the blame on someone. 

What really got to me once is some chick that I had seen in the place before came in late night and was already really drunk. She told me previously that she lived nearby. But this time I told her I can't serve her and offered her some water or coffee and she just left. I asked the bouncers if they could keep her from driving and they wouldn't do it. So I told my work I was leaving for a few and caught up with her in the parking lot before she got in her car and I ended up being able to drive her home. She barely was able to remember where she lived, or what apartment she lived in. But I got inside, put her on the couch and left as there was noone else there. 

And I know, fvcking dumbass move on my part. The liability shoots through the roof.  I should have just called the cops but I was a party person at the time and didn't want to call the cops on anyone. But that made me think a lot because the place I worked was popular as hell and people there simple got loaded all the time.

14 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Exactly. Even if it meant that society was doomed and life as we know it would be wiped out, our civil liberties are much more important than eliminating that threat.

Not to downplay Covid-19 but this is not that scenario  

19 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Not to downplay Covid-19 but this is not that scenario  

Yeah the stories of hospitals being overrun with patients and semi trailers brought in to house the dead, those are deep state lies. Not to mention Trump, who wanted to get the economy back online by Easter, even suggested we stay in this shelter in place mode until the end of April. 

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Yeah the stories of hospitals being overrun with patients and semi trailers brought in to house the dead, those are deep state lies. Not to mention Trump, who wanted to get the economy back online by Easter, even suggested we stay in this shelter in place mode until the end of April. 

Just to get this straight you are arguing that this has the capability of wiping out life as we know it?

3 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Just to get this straight you are arguing that this has the capability of wiping out life as we know it?

I could make a darn good argument it has already. 

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I could make a darn good argument it has already. 

Life.... Not lifestyle 

26 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I am not. But I seems that you wouldn't give up your civil liberty even if it was. You are ok with putting even more lives at risk and putting even more stress on health care workers so that you can go party. 

I'm with bandrus here.  If a group of people want to get together and potentially expose themselves, so be it.  I don't see it as much worse, if any, than the crowds frequenting Costco, Sam's Club or the grocery store.  If we were in an end-of-days scenario, the entire constitution means nothing.

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

If we were in an end-of-days scenario, the entire constitution means nothing.

I think between 9/11 and this it takes far less than end of days scenario

6 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I'm with bandrus here.  If a group of people want to get together and potentially expose themselves, so be it.  I don't see it as much worse, if any, than the crowds frequenting Costco, Sam's Club or the grocery store.  If we were in an end-of-days scenario, the entire constitution means nothing.

This just seems horribly short sighted. It's not just them, the people at the gathering that become affected. This virus grows exponentially. When I see you and Bandrus say we shouldn't be stopped from gathering, the only assumption I can make is that you couldn't give two shlts about how hard this is going to be on doctors and nurses. You either don't care, or you don't realize how bad it will be. 

I bet if you were forced to work in a hard hit hospital for a few days, or someone close to you unexpected died you would change your tune.

4 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

This just seems horribly short sighted. It's not just them, the people at the gathering that become affected. This virus grows exponentially. When I see you and Bandrus say we shouldn't be stopped from gathering, the only assumption I can make is that you couldn't give two shlts about how hard this is going to be on doctors and nurses. You either don't care, or you don't realize how bad it will be. 

I bet if you were forced to work in a hard hit hospital for a few days, or someone close to you unexpected died you would change your tune.

I'm on both sides of this issue. Because even if everything dies down and everything gets opened up again, and then it starts all over again, that is not a good solution either. We will be crippled for a decade.

I guess right now they are just buying time until a anti virus can be found. But who knows how long that will take? We gotta keep the economy moving in some manner. And it helps the more people who survive this moving forward. 

There are people in this world who cannot understand a scenario until it affects them directly. They cannot wrap their minds around it, like Bandrus and Gladiators. Not unless this covid deeply affected their health or someone close to them. So to them, going about business as usual doesn't matter because they can't imagine how this affects them. It's actually interesting to see there are so many people incapable of this

I liken it to rookies coming into professional sports. They are told by guys who blew their money and didn't fully appreciate the position they were in as professional athletes. They are told by guys who made all the mistakes, do not make these mistakes, because you will regret it and you will be screwed. Plenty of the rookies will make those very mistakes and then be the next generation to tell rookies coming in not to be an idiot and make mistakes that are easily preventable