Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Maryland man arrested for hosting 60 people at bonfire, violating governor's order

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I'm on both sides of this issue. Because even if everything dies down and everything gets opened up again, and then it starts all over again, that is not a good solution either. We will be crippled for a decade.

I guess right now they are just buying time until a anti virus can be found. But who knows how long that will take? We gotta keep the economy moving in some manner. And it helps the more people who survive this moving forward. 

I do agree that we can't kill off the economy, but I posted a link to Bill Gates saying the impact of relaxing restrictions now would be much worse than keeping our current restrictions for longer. This is supposed to buy time. I hope it works. Considering most the people who study virus' for a living and consider the multi faceted impacts virus' have on people pretty much agree we need to do our best top slow the advance of infection, I will listen to these people who are far smarter than me and who are experts.

2 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

This just seems horribly short sighted. It's not just them, the people at the gathering that become affected. This virus grows exponentially. When I see you and Bandrus say we shouldn't be stopped from gathering, the only assumption I can make is that you couldn't give two shlts about how hard this is going to be on doctors and nurses. You either don't care, or you don't realize how bad it will be. 

I bet if you were forced to work in a hard hit hospital for a few days, or someone close to you unexpected died you would change your tune.

Staying home and not being in groups should be encouraged.  I don't believe it should be strictly enforced.  If people are genuinely concerned, they can ask anyone they're coming in contact with where they've been and what they've been doing.  Are you close with someone who would attend an event like this?  If so, probably want to re-evaluate whether you spend time with them.  If you're genuinely concerned, don't leave your house unless absolutely necessary and take all necessary precautions.

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There are people in this world who cannot understand a scenario until it affects them directly. They cannot wrap their minds around it, like Bandrus and Gladiators. Not unless this covid deeply affected their health or someone close to them. So to them, going about business as usual doesn't matter because they can't imagine how this affects them. It's actually interesting to see there are so many people incapable of this

I liken it to rookies coming into professional sports. They are told by guys who blew their money and didn't fully appreciate the position they were in as professional athletes. They are told by guys who made all the mistakes, do not make these mistakes, because you will regret it and you will be screwed. Plenty of the rookies will make those very mistakes and then be the next generation to tell rookies coming in not to be an idiot and make mistakes that are easily preventable

Im not going about things as normal. I am locked down and working from home because I am smart. 

American values and American way of life are protected by the laws of the country and these are inalienable rights. Not just in time of peace and prosper but inalienable.

Arresting people for gathering on private property is wrong   

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

Im not going about things as normal. I am locked down and working from home because I am smart. 

And yet it hasn't changed life as you know it.  Interesting. 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

And yet it hasn't changed life as you know it.  Interesting. 

When people refer to life as we know it it is typically referring to all living beings not lifestyle as we know it... If he was referring to lifestyle then yes it is different

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There are people in this world who cannot understand a scenario until it affects them directly. They cannot wrap their minds around it, like Bandrus and Gladiators. Not unless this covid deeply affected their health or someone close to them. So to them, going about business as usual doesn't matter because they can't imagine how this affects them. It's actually interesting to see there are so many people incapable of this

I liken it to rookies coming into professional sports. They are told by guys who blew their money and didn't fully appreciate the position they were in as professional athletes. They are told by guys who made all the mistakes, do not make these mistakes, because you will regret it and you will be screwed. Plenty of the rookies will make those very mistakes and then be the next generation to tell rookies coming in not to be an idiot and make mistakes that are easily preventable

My best friend is an ER doc.  If he was extremely concerned, I would be.  He's not, so I'm not.  Is there risk to family/friends, absolutely.  We all face risks every day.  I know that there are drunk drivers on the road at any given time of the day.  I still get in my car and go to work.  I drive as responsibly as I can, but driving to work is a risk I take every day.

Where do we draw lines?  If the next virus can infect everyone and 1,000 people are doing to die from it, are we okay with that?  What about if it kills 50,000?

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

When people refer to life as we know it it is typically referring to all living beings not lifestyle as we know it... If he was referring to lifestyle then yes it is different

This is hair splitting par excellence.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Not at all.. covid 19 is not a threat to humanity and life as we know it.. it is a temporary threat to our life style

2 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Not at all.. covid 19 is not a threat to humanity and life as we know it.. it is a temporary threat to our life style

I think we will have to agree to disagree.  At least I will.  

Just now, TimmySmith said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree.  At least I will.  

That's fine but covid 19 will not wipe out humanity

4 hours ago, MDC said:

Not that I totally disagree, but I think the state’s argument would be that the public safety supersedes this guy’s right to peacefully assemble in the short term. Unlike a lot of rights we gave up post 9/11 these restrictions have a time limit. And the guy was warned.

on top of that, the dude is 40 something years old and he's got blue f****** hair?  I would have arrested him just for that alone.

Time for people to grow up. We got too many man boys running around.

one question, did they finish the keg?

19 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

My best friend is an ER doc.  If he was extremely concerned, I would be.  He's not, so I'm not.  Is there risk to family/friends, absolutely.  We all face risks every day.  I know that there are drunk drivers on the road at any given time of the day.  I still get in my car and go to work.  I drive as responsibly as I can, but driving to work is a risk I take every day.

Where do we draw lines?  If the next virus can infect everyone and 1,000 people are doing to die from it, are we okay with that?  What about if it kills 50,000?

So your buddy who is an ER doc in bumfock where? The ER docs in NY who are being overwhelmed and scared, they should be ignored? 

So when there is a threat we just ignore it and go on business as usual? Don't listen to experts, docs, and nurses who say this is a crisis already in certain areas even though we are probably weeks from an apex, because Gladiators says there are threats every day. Covid crisis = drunk drivers

7 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

on top of that, the dude is 40 something years old and he's got blue f****** hair?  I would have arrested him just for that alone.

Time for people to grow up. We got too many man boys running around.

Bet he’s a big fan of the MCU.

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

So your buddy who is an ER doc in bumfock where? The ER docs in NY who are being overwhelmed and scared, they should be ignored? 

So when there is a threat we just ignore it and go on business as usual? Don't listen to experts, docs, and nurses who say this is a crisis already in certain areas even though we are probably weeks from an apex, because Gladiators says there are threats every day. Covid crisis = drunk drivers

Who said anything about ignoring it and going on business as usual?  All I said is that I don't think people should be arrested for gathering.

If it's as dire as you say, we should be strictly enforcing the minimum distance rules.  Anyone who comes within 6' of someone else should be arrested.  Anyone who doesn't wash their hands after touching any surface should be arrested.  You just touched the gas pump.  You're now responsible for sanitizing it and washing your hands immediately after.

There's still an awful lot of "essential" work going on today that I wouldn't consider essential if things are as bad as you think they are.  We don't need to finish construction projects.  There's still a lot of manufacturing happening that isn't necessary.  People don't need to buy new clothes.  We don't need deodorant.  If it's that dire, we can get by for a couple months without...

Are you still working?

My attitude about government 's role has always been consistent.  Stay the fock out of everyone's business until someone's business affects me or my business affects them.  In this case, it isn't about 60 people gathering.  It's about 60 people getting infected and taking it home, and infecting everyone in their homes, who then take it out wherever they have to go over the next week or two while they're contagious, and all the people they infect doing the same, etc......The whole point of the stay at home and social distancing is to let the infected people who aren't sick get over this so hopefully the only infected people are those being treated for it.  In conjunction with efforts to find treatment and vaccines.  People ignoring those directives defeats the purpose of them.  And I have no problem in this case with the government enforcing these directives to get us past the crisis phase of this virus outbreak.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I still think your claim that Trump didn’t call coronavirus a hoax, he called the Democratic response to coronavirus a hoax, wins the Olympic gold medal for hair splitting. :first: 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I still think your claim that Trump didn’t call coronavirus a hoax, he called the Democratic response to coronavirus a hoax, wins the Olympic gold medal for hair splitting. :first: 

Even fact checking services have acknowledged that Trump didn't call the virus a hoax.  Stop dude.  Here is Snopes' article on it, and they're about the most left leaning fact checking sources in existence:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MDC said:

We really expect better trolling from you.  You're the only one we got right now.  :dunno:

56 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

American values and American way of life are protected by the laws of the country and these are inalienable rights. Not just in time of peace and prosper but inalienable.

Arresting people for gathering on private property is wrong   

Your inalienable rights have always carried with them provisions and limitations, but feel free to donate to his defense fund on the grounds of 'right to assemble' vs the governors/govt's powers in an emergency.  

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

They aren't the only ones.  Include the MN legislature and governor.

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

He ended up quitting. I wasn't tight with the dude so I never really found out the full outcome of it. We had a few career bartenders and waiters at the place but he wasn't one of them. He was in school and worked there nights and weekends. I do know his motivation to quit was the same reason I ultimately quit for and that was the whole liability thing. Last I had heard at the time he had an open court date and that was about it. Maybe he got a slap on the wrist and was told to go back to the alcohol responsibility class that all waiters and bartenders have to go to anyway in that county every year. Or maybe a huge fine. I really am not sure.

And that class is a joke. It's just set up because the state (or county or city) want to be able to put the blame on someone. 

What really got to me once is some chick that I had seen in the place before came in late night and was already really drunk. She told me previously that she lived nearby. But this time I told her I can't serve her and offered her some water or coffee and she just left. I asked the bouncers if they could keep her from driving and they wouldn't do it. So I told my work I was leaving for a few and caught up with her in the parking lot before she got in her car and I ended up being able to drive her home. She barely was able to remember where she lived, or what apartment she lived in. But I got inside, put her on the couch and left as there was noone else there. 

And I know, fvcking dumbass move on my part. The liability shoots through the roof.  I should have just called the cops but I was a party person at the time and didn't want to call the cops on anyone. But that made me think a lot because the place I worked was popular as hell and people there simple got loaded all the time.

Was she a good fock or did she just lay there all passed out?  :o

2 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Who said anything about ignoring it and going on business as usual?  All I said is that I don't think people should be arrested for gathering.

If it's as dire as you say, we should be strictly enforcing the minimum distance rules.  Anyone who comes within 6' of someone else should be arrested.  Anyone who doesn't wash their hands after touching any surface should be arrested.  You just touched the gas pump.  You're now responsible for sanitizing it and washing your hands immediately after.

There's still an awful lot of "essential" work going on today that I wouldn't consider essential if things are as bad as you think they are.  We don't need to finish construction projects.  There's still a lot of manufacturing happening that isn't necessary.  People don't need to buy new clothes.  We don't need deodorant.  If it's that dire, we can get by for a couple months without...

Are you still working?

Ahh so maintain social distancing, except don't mess with people's right to party.

I am not working. I am considered essential but work has slowed down. I work for a company that does a lot of work in food processing plants, so if something goes wrong with the piping we have to come in to fix it. 

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Was she a good fock or did she just lay there all passed out?  :o

:nono: That was a real situation. I'm no Bill Clinton and didn't need to be to get some. 

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Why the fock does your link take me to an article about Wrestemania?  :wacko:

google.com

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Even fact checking services have acknowledged that Trump didn't call the virus a hoax.  Stop dude.  Here is Snopes' article on it, and they're about the most left leaning fact checking sources in existence:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

No reason to argue with the liberals on anything. They only have a goal and they don't let facts or logic or concern for the constitution or people who disagree with them get in their way. 

When Trump says we should shelter in place until April 30th, then I would say that's a pretty clear sign it's the best option now. That includes not gathering in groups and having parties. People should be prosecuted for ignoring the order because there are plenty of idiots who would spread this virus even worse than it has

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

When Trump says we should shelter in place until April 30th, then I would say that's a pretty clear sign it's the best option now. That includes not gathering in groups and having parties. People should be prosecuted for ignoring the order because there are plenty of idiots who would spread this virus even worse than it has

What other directives would you be willing to carry out if the president said it was the best option? You are willing to give up your own civil liberties. Would you be willing to take away other people's if directed?

7 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Staying home and not being in groups should be encouraged.  I don't believe it should be strictly enforced.  If people are genuinely concerned, they can ask anyone they're coming in contact with where they've been and what they've been doing.  Are you close with someone who would attend an event like this?  If so, probably want to re-evaluate whether you spend time with them.  If you're genuinely concerned, don't leave your house unless absolutely necessary and take all necessary precautions.

By Monday 900 NYC cops will have the virus.  Do they get to ask people what they have been doing and who they have been hanging around with? How about the truck driver who needs to go to the bathroom at a rest stop while delivering our food? Do they get to ask the guy who used the restroom before him?  

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

By Monday 900 NYC cops will have the virus.  Do they get to ask people what they have been doing and who they have been hanging around with? How about the truck driver who needs to go to the bathroom at a rest stop while delivering our food? Do they get to ask the guy who used the restroom before him?  

Sure

9 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Sure

Great.  So when the cops show up to break up a fight between a husband and wife they should call a time out to ask what the two of them have been up to before getting involved. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Great.  So when the cops show up to break up a fight between a husband and wife they should call a time out to ask what the two of them have been up to before getting involved. 

I'm fine with that.  I wonder how they handled the group of 60 people at the get-together this thread was started about.  I wonder what they do when they break up a fight between a husband and wife now.  Perhaps they call ahead to ask the questions before intervening.

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I'm fine with that.  I wonder how they handled the group of 60 people at the get-together this thread was started about.  I wonder what they do when they break up a fight between a husband and wife now.  Perhaps they call ahead to ask the questions before intervening.

Yeah, a party is the same as a violent 911 call. 

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

What other directives would you be willing to carry out if the president said it was the best option? You are willing to give up your own civil liberties. Would you be willing to take away other people's if directed?

Reducing contact with other people specifically to combat this one threat seems good to me. We get it, you would rather endanger countless more people and make health care workers jobs even more miserable so that you can party. This is all temporary BTW, but keep pretending it's permanant so that you can keep your soap box

10 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Reducing contact with other people specifically to combat this one threat seems good to me. We get it, you would rather endanger countless more people and make health care workers jobs even more miserable so that you can party. This is all temporary BTW, but keep pretending it's permanant so that you can keep your soap box

Ok as long as you get it