Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Growing Pot

I was talking to a gal today who has for years but she mentioned she orders her seeds from the UK.  I just looked online and 4 seeds delivered for $25.  Yowza.  Where do you guys get your seeds?  Can it easily be grown outdoors in a pot on a patio during a mid-Michigan summer?  How much could I expect to harvest out of one plant grown that way?  Not sure I would ever but after talking to her today I am curious.  I know someone here grows.  Prolly more than one. 

I have half way tried a few times with no success. Sticking your seed in a pot and simply watching it grow will lead to a weed with the famous 5 point leaves, but no smokable buds. You need multiple plants with a mix of male/female so they can pollinate which then leads to smokeable buds. It’s easier for me to go across town and buy and ounce from Reggie. 

3 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I have half way tried a few times with no success. Sticking your seed in a pot and simply watching it grow will lead to a weed with the famous 5 point leaves, but no smokable buds. You need multiple plants with a mix of male/female so they can pollinate which then leads to smokeable buds. It’s easier for me to go across town and buy and ounce from Reggie. 

:D  Yeah, I'm sure there's more to it than what I'm imagining.  That's why I'm asking.  Would be neat if it was easy though.  I was looking at some seeds named bubble gum.  

4 minutes ago, fandandy said:

:D  Yeah, I'm sure there's more to it than what I'm imagining.  That's why I'm asking.  Would be neat if it was easy though.  I was looking at some seeds named bubble gum.  

I’ve looked it up and watched YouTube vids on it. If it was legal and I didn’t have to worry about getting caught I would have an entire farm dedicated to it. Trying to grow just enough for personal consumption I found to be more of a pain in the asss than it was worth. 

41 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I was talking to a gal today who has for years but she mentioned she orders her seeds from the UK.  I just looked online and 4 seeds delivered for $25.  Yowza.  Where do you guys get your seeds?  Can it easily be grown outdoors in a pot on a patio during a mid-Michigan summer?  How much could I expect to harvest out of one plant grown that way?  Not sure I would ever but after talking to her today I am curious.  I know someone here grows.  Prolly more than one. 

Not trying to be funny, but, why didn't you ask your friend these questions? She sounds like a competent enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Not trying to be funny, but, why didn't you ask your friend these questions?

Because she was here in person and she's kind of a weird chick who smelled like weed and especially during a pandemic I didn't want to have a long in person conversation with her about something that she might have gone on and on about...

4 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Because she was here in person and she's kind of a weird chick who smelled like weed and especially during a pandemic I didn't want to have a long in person conversation with her about something that she might have gone on and on about...

Are you gonna have phone sex with her then? Can you patch me in? 

• Like 1

look up grow weed easy on google.  there are seed vendors from Amsterdam on there.  Nirvana seeds? maybe. if done right, 4 feminized seeds will work well for you.   

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Are you gonna have phone sex with her then? Can you patch me in? 

No.  She is just too weird.  She came in today.  Parked by the gas pump.  Sits a few minutes.  Leaves then comes back wearing a yellow cloth face mask which looked like it was from a kids dress up doctor kit and wearing one green jersey glove.  I don't think you're doing it right, babe.  

3 hours ago, BiffTannen said:

Friends and I grew pot 20 years ago.  From what I remember, you DON'T want males pollinating the females.  You want ALL females spending energy growing buds (flowers to catch pollen), not growing seeds.

We had a cool grow closet.... florescents, reflective aluminum foil, carbon dioxide canister, and added fans because without wind the stems wouldn't get strong enough to support their own weight. Wind built stem muscle.  But after all our efforts (about 3 months) we didn't get much pot out of it.  Turns out there are male plants, female plants, and TRANS plants.   We tossed all the males, but one of the plants was both male and female (as we realized later).  The damn thing pollinated all of them and they didn't grow much bud.... lots of seeds though. Interesting how to get them to bud - If I remember right, the first 6 weeks was 24-hour light. Then the final 6 weeks was 12-hours lights on/lights off... which tricks the plants into budding. Pretty cool. Done right, seed to weed in about 3 months. 

Of course, it's a felony per plant in Florida.  Which is why it's probably good we screwed it up.  Had we harvested lots of weed, we might have kept growing.... and likely gotten caught.

if you want good marketable weed, it's like any other job, mentally and time wise.

6 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Friends and I grew pot 20 years ago.  From what I remember, you DON'T want males pollinating the females.  You want ALL females spending energy growing buds (flowers to catch pollen), not growing seeds.

We had a cool grow closet.... florescents, reflective aluminum foil, carbon dioxide canister, and added fans because without wind the stems wouldn't get strong enough to support their own weight. Wind built stem muscle.  But after all our efforts (about 3 months) we didn't get much pot out of it.  Turns out there are male plants, female plants, and TRANS plants.   We tossed all the males, but one of the plants was both male and female (as we realized later).  The damn thing pollinated all of them and they didn't grow much bud.... lots of seeds though. Interesting how to get them to bud - If I remember right, the first 6 weeks was 24-hour light. Then the final 6 weeks was 12-hours lights on/lights off... which tricks the plants into budding. Pretty cool. Done right, seed to weed in about 3 months. 

Of course, it's a felony per plant in Florida.  Which is why it's probably good we screwed it up.  Had we harvested lots of weed, we might have kept growing.... and likely gotten caught.

I knew it was something like that. Either way, I focked it all up in my half assed attempt. Now would be a good time to try again considering today is day 17 of not leaving my home with no intentions of doing so for months. The only problem is, the weed I have now does not have any seeds. I would have to go on the innernets and order some. 

How many plants are you allowed to have in MI for personal use?  12?   If done perfectly, how much weed would 12 plants yield?

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

How many plants are you allowed to have in MI for personal use?  12?   If done perfectly, how much weed would 12 plants yield?

There is no answer to that. I’ve gotten 5 lbs off one plant before. I also get 2 oz off each plant currently

• Like 1

I would assume a decent amount.  But if you are someone who grows all twelve plants that you can, I would assume that persons smokes a sh!t-ton, so it is all relative.

I believe there are growing conditions that will allow multiple harvests in one year as well.

Its all interesting.  One of the biggest "fears" the government and big pharma has is that you can make the drug yourself.  You are not reliant on any large manufacturer.  Imagine being able to grow and harvest your own ibuprofen or Tylenol?

3 hours ago, taco breath said:

if you want good marketable weed, it's like any other job, mentally and time wise.

I don't want to sell it, I just might want to grow it like a tomato plant on my patio and wonder if that's possible.  I don't even smoke weed.  I am just curious if I did start from good seeds is it possible to grow outdoors in like a Miracle Grow potting soil in a pot and actually end up with a smokable product afterward.  

18 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yeah, I think 12 and if done outdoors they can't be visible from the road.  

Outdoors? Make sure you plant in the sunniest part of your yard, water daily and keep an eye out for pests. The plants will pretty much take care of the rest. 

Buying seeds online I would assume "guarantees" that they're female. As mentioned above, you don't want males, they'll fock up the whole crop. 

If you have neighbors and you don't want 7' tall plants poking up above the fence, you can tie the plant down while the stalk is still pliable. That way it will grow sideways instead of upward. You can get a more significant harvest this way as well.  

Speaking of neighbors,  if they are close enough they will be able to smell the plants come October. So keep that in mind. 

14 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I don't want to sell it, I just might want to grow it like a tomato plant on my patio and wonder if that's possible.  I don't even smoke weed.  I am just curious if I did start from good seeds is it possible to grow outdoors in like a Miracle Grow potting soil in a pot and actually end up with a smokable product afterward.  

Absolutely. It's called weed because the plants grow like one. All they need is sunlight and water. You can get crazy with the fertilizer if you want to but it isn't necessary. 

Lots of sun, plenty of water = happy plants.

If you're going to grow in a pot, you won't get as much yield as you would in the ground but you can still have success. Use the biggest pot you can and put the pot on wheels so you can "follow the sun" as much as possible during the day. Moar sun is moar better. 

33 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Absolutely. It's called weed because the plants grow like one. All they need is sunlight and water. You can get crazy with the fertilizer if you want to but it isn't necessary. 

Lots of sun, plenty of water = happy plants.

If you're going to grow in a pot, you won't get as much yield as you would in the ground but you can still have success. Use the biggest pot you can and put the pot on wheels so you can "follow the sun" as much as possible during the day. Moar sun is moar better. 

Not to be a but there is so much misinformation in this statement. There is a reason why my stuff goes for over 2k while a lot of stuff goes for 600

first don’t use miracle grow or anything else you can get at Home Depot. The smoke that comes off the flower will be black. It’s garbage and then you’ll be smoking that stuff

as fat as feminized seeds they are about 75% reliable based on experience

1) soak your seeds in distilled water until you see a little tail pop from them. Transplant into soil and keep them in a closet with a light (60 watt) over them until they start to come thru the soil

2) once the plant has its first set of real leaves if should survive. Ideally you want babies in 83+ degrees so they don’t shock in the cold

3) keep plants inside at this point until after June 21st. If you put them outside now they will start to flower immediately and you’d be lucky to even pull an 1/8 per plant. Beg them til June 21 then transplant into 10 gallon pots. First time growing you don’t need big pots you won’t get a big yield

4) keep them in sunlight but optimal temp is around 85 shade screen is helpful if it’s too hot

5) goto hydro store and get a good soil and Athena pro line of nutrients and follow that grow schedule. 

6) water every other day (if you don’t see drooping). Overwatering is one of the biggest mistakes someone can make. Do your nutrient blend twice a week and straight water the rest. Write down the day you put in backyard and start a countdown to 63 days. (Strain dependent). 

7) at 55 days flush with a mix of molasses and water

8.) cut and hang in a dry dark area for 5-6 days until stems snap

9) trim and enjoy

9 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Not to be a but there is so much misinformation in this statement. There is a reason why my stuff goes for over 2k while a lot of stuff goes for 600

first don’t use miracle grow or anything else you can get at Home Depot. The smoke that comes off the flower will be black. It’s garbage and then you’ll be smoking that stuff

1) soak your seeds in distilled water until you see a little tail pop from them. Transplant into soil and keep them in a closet with a light (60 watt) over them until they start to come thru the soil

2) once the plant has its first set of real leaves if should survive. Ideally you want babies in 83+ degrees so they don’t shock in the cold

3) keep plants inside at this point until after June 21st. If you put them outside now they will start to flower immediately and you’d be lucky to even pull an 1/8 per plant. Beg them til June 21 then transplant into 10 gallon pots. First time growing you don’t need big pots you won’t get a big yield

4) keep them in sunlight but optimal temp is around 85 shade screen is helpful if it’s too hot

5) goto hydro store and get a good soil and Athena pro line of nutrients and follow that grow schedule. 

6) water every other day (if you don’t see drooping). Overwatering is one of the biggest mistakes someone can make. Do your nutrient blend twice a week and straight water the rest. Write down the day you put in backyard and start a countdown to 63 days. (Strain dependent). 

9) trim and enjoy

Like I said, you can go nuts with the fertilizer and all that sh!t but it isn't necessary. 

Lots of sun + Plenty of water is all you NEED. 

7 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

9) trim and enjoy

Thank you, sir.  How do I acquire seeds?  A strain that is a milder euphoric buzz.  When I smoked when I was younger I always had issues with getting paranoid and or depressed, thinking the worst thoughts possible.  That's why when I turned 21 I switched to alcohol.  I am not even sure if I'm looking to grow for myself but if I could get into it on the cheap it would be a neat hobby this summer and I could always give the bud to a family member if I didn't want it.

Is it legal for you to sell seeds and if yes, how expensive are they delivered?

I grew 2 crops about 10 years ago. Ended up with spider mites both times and never tried again. 

1 hour ago, fandandy said:

Thank you, sir.  How do I acquire seeds?  A strain that is a milder euphoric buzz.  When I smoked when I was younger I always had issues with getting paranoid and or depressed, thinking the worst thoughts possible.  That's why when I turned 21 I switched to alcohol.  I am not even sure if I'm looking to grow for myself but if I could get into it on the cheap it would be a neat hobby this summer and I could always give the bud to a family member if I didn't want it.

Is it legal for you to sell seeds and if yes, how expensive are they delivered?

I’d goto humboldt seed bank. Get a sativa or high sativa hybrid. You won’t get paranoid from it. Personally most sativa give me a relaxed energy feeling. If you want couch lock sleep aid then go with heavy indica. I personally don’t have seeds available. But I’ve never had an issue buying them. Get yourself a 20 pack or so. You likely will spend about 100$ on it but seeds don’t go bad. Another option is goto a hydro store and ask the guys working there where you can just get clones. I’d recommend that all day over doing seeds. You’ll get fems guaranteed and don’t have to worry about the seed and sex process

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

I grew 2 crops about 10 years ago. Ended up with spider mites both times and never tried again. 

This is a good point. If growing outside especially. Get yourself an organic peppermint based spray to keep bugs away

25 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

This is a good point. If growing outside especially. Get yourself an organic peppermint based spray to keep bugs away

I was so pisssed off I bought some aphids and introduced them to the plants, got a magnifying glass, a bowl and watched them go to war with the mites. It was actually quality entertainment. 

22 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I was so pisssed off I bought some aphids and introduced them to the plants, got a magnifying glass, a bowl and watched them go to war with the mites. It was actually quality entertainment. 

Ladybugs do the job better imo 

4 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Speaking of neighbors,  if they are close enough they will be able to smell the plants come October. So keep that in mind. 

This X1000

One of neighbors grows and the smell is sickening:thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Haven't smoked weed in almost ten years, I'm suppose to see some old HS friends this weekend and I'm probably going to burn it down 

3 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

This X1000

One of neighbors grows and the smell is sickening:thumbsdown:

Yeah, and I'm sure your fifty cats and beer cans on the front lawn don't bother him at all...

17 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Pot makes you dull. 

This is some funny sh!t

24 minutes ago, nospk said:

This is some funny sh!t

Better than anything your useless ass has ever brought forth.  You’re unremarkable. And dull.