Sign in to follow this  
So why aren't things named after George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison getting removed/renamed/torn down?

I mean they owned slaves (all over 100 of them) and Madison came up with the 3/5th rule for how slaves would be counted...

Why are they okay where Robert E. Lee, J.E.B. Stewart and Jefferson Davis are not...

I am sure I will get made fun of or ridiculed or called stupid, but I am used to that...

Be patient, you have to set the precedent first, some are easy-low-hangers.....once you get your foot in the door, you go for the rest....

Yeah I am kind of wondering about that...  Some things around here:

• Stuart High School in Fairfax was renamed to Justice High School...  
  • Washington-Lee High School was renamed to Washington-Liberty...  
  • A portion of Jefferson Davis highway was renamed to Richmond Highway...  

I am surprised that Lee High School hasn't been renamed yet...

Thanks V4E...  Did not know that...

If these changes do happen, I guess the bidding rights for the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial are up for grabs in DC...

We could have the BB&T Bank Monument and the Microsoft Memorial...

Well, nothing should have been named after the confederate guys. Because they lost. Since when do we acknowledge losers in America? It’s like the Mets and other teams flying their Wild Card banner.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, nothing should have been named after the confederate guys. Because they lost. Since when do we acknowledge losers in America? It’s like the Mets and other teams flying their Wild Card banner.  

This

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Native Americans have shiiteloads of stuff named after them. :ninja:

Just now, Vikings4ever said:

Native Americans have shiiteloads of stuff named after them. :ninja:

And no one acts like they won. 

Mark Twain once commented that “to arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.”

13 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Mark Twain once commented that “to arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.”

The character of America is winning. The amount of remembrance given to some traitorous losers doesn’t fit.  

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

George Orwell, 1984

I really need to read this book...

They are slowly working towards that.  The first place I noticed it was in the film Spiderman: Homecoming when the black Mary Jane denigrated the Washington Monument because she claimed it was built by slaves.  Eventually, they will argue that, because they were all slave owners or supported slavery in some fashion, that the Founding Fathers are discredited.  Then they will probably offer us Karl Marx as a replacement.

What do George Washington and Thomas Jefferson have in common?

They are the last 2 white people with that last name.

I've argued this exact thing. If you bastards keep tearing down our beloved Confederate leaders, then I demand Washington's face be blasted off Mount Rushmore.  Which by the way is grotesque in the first place... carving gigantic images of past leaders into mountains.  Nothing would please me more than if evidence surfaced that Abe Lincoln was not only a war criminal who got what he deserved (as we already know), but say a pedophile too. Now enjoy staring at his giant ugly mug for all eternity. 

• Like 1