Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Will the Bungles go full bungles and keep the #1 pick?

if the Bungles draft Burrow at #1, they will further prove to the dumbest NFL franchise ever.

Burrow is not good enough alone to help the bungles not be the bungles. 

But 3 draft picks from Miami just might do the trick, or at least be a great start.

They would get #5, #18 and #56 in this years draft

NO BRAINER!

Tua could be there at 5 and he will be better than Burrow (especially Burrow if he were on the Bungles)

I am trying to remember a qb with more hype and more injury questions than Tua. Coinflip as to whether Hurts will end up a better pro.

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I am trying to remember a qb with more hype and more injury questions than Tua. Coinflip as to whether Hurts will end up a better pro.

That's not the focal point of my post.  Burrow on the Bengals will not be good. 

I think Burrow will be great.  Teams can get WR's, TE's, and RB's anywhere in the draft... it's harder to get a franchise QB outside of the first round.  I think a "Bungle move", would be to either trade down or draft someone else.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think Burrow will be great.  Teams can get WR's, TE's, and RB's anywhere in the draft... it's harder to get a franchise QB outside of the first round.  I think a "Bungle move", would be to either trade down or draft someone else.

wow.  Yes, so easy to get great players anywhere in the draft. You wonder why teams don't do it more frequently 

Who says they can't get a franchise QB at 5?

18 minutes ago, edjr said:

if the Bungles draft Burrow at #1, they will further prove to the dumbest NFL franchise ever.

Burrow is not good enough alone to help the bungles not be the bungles. 

But 3 draft picks from Miami just might do the trick, or at least be a great start.

They would get #5, #18 and #56 in this years draft

NO BRAINER!

Tua could be there at 5 and he will be better than Burrow (especially Burrow if he were on the Bungles)

So, why are the Bungles, the Bungles.  Is it because they draft great and then do nothing with them?  No, they draft like crap and don't get good FA's.  Turning the 1st pick into 3 picks will not help them.  Trade Dalton for another pick and go with Burrow.  The real fix is getting rid of the owner.  

If the Bungles are sold on Burrow as a franchise QB they shouldn’t get cute. Just draft him. Tua is more risky and not assured to be there at 5 anyway. 

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So, why are the Bungles, the Bungles.  Is it because they draft great and then do nothing with them?  No, they draft like crap and don't get good FA's.  Turning the 1st pick into 3 picks will not help them.  Trade Dalton for another pick and go with Burrow.  The real fix is getting rid of the owner.  

Draft better than belichick, at least last 3 seasons.

2019    1    N'Keal Harry
    2    Joejuan Williams
    3    Chase Winovich
    3    Damien Harris
    3    Yodny Cajuste
    4    Hjalte Froholdt
    4    Jarrett Stidham
    5    Byron Cowart
    5    Jake Bailey
    7    Ken Webster
Year    Rnd    Player
2018    1    Isaiah Wynn
    1    Sony Michel
    2    Duke Dawson
    5    Ja'Whaun Bentley
    6    Christian Sam
    6    Braxton Berrios
    7    Danny Etling
    7    Keion Crossen
    7    Ryan Izzo
Year    Rnd    Player
2017    3    Derek Rivers
    3    Antonio Garcia
    4    Deatrich Wise
    6    Conor McDermott

OOF

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

If the Bungles are sold on Burrow as a franchise QB they shouldn’t get cute. Just draft him. Tua is more risky and not assured to be there at 5 anyway. 

Like Browns with Mayfield and Da bears with Trubisky and Rams with Goff and Bucs with Winston and Titans with Mariota and Jagoffs with Bortles and the list goes on and on and on.

The Bengals will bungle until the day Mike Brown dies and his kids sell the team. 

Just now, BiffTannen said:

The Bengals will bungle until the day Mike Brown dies and his kids sell the team. 

/thread

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

wow.  Yes, so easy to get great players anywhere in the draft. You wonder why teams don't do it more frequently 

Who says they can't get a franchise QB at 5?

I didn't say anything about getting "great" players.  If you have a great QB, you don't need "great" players at other positions to win.  Great QB's make bad players decent... make decent players good... make good players really good, etc.   Tampa, arguably had the best receiving corp in the NFL with Evan, Godwin, Brate, and Howard... and because they had a bad QB, they won 7 games.  The Bucs only made 1 major FA acquisition (Brady), and they're one of the favorites by Vegas to win the Super Bowl.

They can get a franchise QB at #5, sure.  But that QB can also be a bust.  Let's say the Bengals trade down to #5 and the Dolphins take Burrow and the Bengals take Tua.  In 3 years, the Dolphins are winning their division (for the 2nd straight year), while the Bengals are drafting a new QB because Tua was a bust... and you'll be hear saying how the "Bungles being Bungles" post.

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

Draft better than belichick, at least last 3 seasons.

OOF

Belichick at least drafts at the bottom of the round almost all the time and he gets FA's.  His trades and drafting have been suspect lately, but I think that was more out of desperation than anything.  He saw the window closing.  Let's see how he does in a reboot.

BTW - I already provided the answer that they have to get rid of the owner.  

Just now, edjr said:

Like Browns with Mayfield and Da bears with Trubisky and Rams with Goff and Bucs with Winston and Titans with Mariota and Jagoffs with Bortles and the list goes on and on and on.

Yes Ed they still need to draft well. 

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I didn't say anything about getting "great" players.  If you have a great QB, you don't need "great" players at other positions to win.  Great QB's make bad players decent... make decent players good... make good players really good, etc.   Tampa, arguably had the best receiving corp in the NFL with Evan, Godwin, Brate, and Howard... and because they had a bad QB, they won 7 games.  The Bucs only made 1 major FA acquisition (Brady), and they're one of the favorites by Vegas to win the Super Bowl.

They can get a franchise QB at #5, sure.  But that QB can also be a bust.  Let's say the Bengals trade down to #5 and the Dolphins take Burrow and the Bengals take Tua.  In 3 years, the Dolphins are winning their division (for the 2nd straight year), while the Bengals are drafting a new QB because Tua was a bust... and you'll be hear saying how the "Bungles being Bungles" post.

:doh:   you do realize it's not a #1 for #5 swap right and the Bungles get the #18 and #56 picks this year as well?

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

BTW - I already provided the answer that they have to get rid of the owner.  

Agreed

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Yes Ed they still need to draft well. 

Taking Burrow at #1 is not drafting well, or smart.  IMO

Just now, edjr said:

:doh:   you do realize it's not a #1 for #5 swap right and the Bungles get the #18 and #56 picks this year as well?

But a bad QB means bad results... regardless of who you get in the other picks.  The Bucs have a 1st round pick in Mike Evan, a 1st round pick in OJ Howard, and a 3rd round pick in Chris Godwin, yet, the Bucs are 28-42 with Winston as a QB.

Bengals should trade it away and take the Dolphins #1 picks this year and next year...

They have a lot of holes and need help...

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

An opinion I don't agree with.

Just now, posty said:

Bengals should trade it away and take the Dolphins #1 picks this year and next year...

Do they?  I don't follow the Bengals, I'm thinking that coaching may be a bigger issue.

1 minute ago, posty said:

:thumbsup:

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Do they?  I don't follow the Bengals, I'm thinking that coaching may be a bigger issue.

But is that changing this year?  is the owner changing this year?  Burrow will FAIL if drafted by the Bungles. 

Just now, edjr said:

Because you think Tua is better? Or because you think Tua + whatever they get with two other picks is worth more? 

I think QB is so important to your team that you take the best one available every time. There’s no guarantee Tua pans out either assuming he’s available at 5 (I don’t think he will) and you can bust in the mid/late first and second rounds too. 

If the Bengals aren’t sold on Burrow sure trade the pick. If they think he’s the best QB available there’s no reason to get cute and trade down. 

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

But is that changing this year?  is the owner changing this year?  Burrow will FAIL if drafted by the Bungles. 

So if the problem is the owner, then it shouldn't matter what the Bengals do because it won't work.  So why make an issue about it?

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Because you think Tua is better? Or because you think Tua + whatever they get with two other picks is worth more? 

I think QB is so important to your team that you take the best one available every time. There’s no guarantee Tua pans out either assuming he’s available at 5 (I don’t think he will) and you can bust in the mid/late first and second rounds too. 

If the Bengals aren’t sold on Burrow sure trade the pick. If they think he’s the best QB available there’s no reason to get cute and trade down. 

Yeah, what happens if the Bengals trade down to #5.  The Dolphins take Burrow, the Redskins take Tua, and the Chargers trade up to #3 or 4 to take Herbet.  How good does that trade look now when Love is the only QB available?

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, what happens if the Bengals trade down to #5.  The Dolphins take Burrow, the Redskins take Tua, and the Chargers trade up to #3 or 4 to take Herbet.  How good does that trade look now when Love is the only QB available?

I doubt the Skins take Tua...  I think they will take either Chase Young or trade down...

Like I always say.  In theory sure get more picks and draft a QB who pans out anyway.

But if you like a guy you take them.  If Burrow is their number 1 QB this year you take him.  

Just now, posty said:

I doubt the Skins take Tua...  I think they will take either Chase Young or trade down...

I agree with you.  Just throwing out a scenario.  I could see the them trading down.  If they trade down and the new team drafts a QB, the result is the same in that there's 1 less QB available at #5.

• Like 1

The local sports talk around here never have mentioned this because they keep assuming that Burrow will go #1...

What if they don't?  What if they decide to take Chase Young...  What would/should the Skins do?  They could get a song for that #2 pick now or would they take Burrow?

In general im for trading down.

But you dont bypass your number 1 QB on the board for a couple extra swings in a single draft.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Skins will draft Chase Young probably but the Lions could go QB at 3 or Det or NYG could trade down from 3/4 with the Chargers, Panthers or Jags if any of them love Tua. 

Bengals would look real smart dealing down then. :doh: 

Edit: I’d be willing to bet Tua goes before 5. Too many teams in the Top 10 need QBs to stand pat. 

1 minute ago, posty said:

The local sports talk around here never have mentioned this because they keep assuming that Burrow will go #1...

What if they don't?  What if they decide to take Chase Young...  What would/should the Skins do?  They could get a song for that #2 pick now or would they take Burrow?

If the Bengals take Young, then the Redskins would get a MINT for that pick.  I'd sell to the highest bidder.

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

Burrow + current bungles = more than likely failure

#5 + #18 + #56 + current bungles = a slightly less chance of failure

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

In general im for trading down.

But you dont bypass your number 1 QB on the board for a couple extra swings in a single draft.

even if you think the QB at #5 is pretty damn good?

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Skins will draft Chase Young probably but the Lions could go QB at 3 or Det or NYG could trade down from 3/4 with the Chargers, Panthers or Jags if any of them love Tua. 

Bengals would look real smart dealing down then. :doh: 

Certainly.  There are a multitude of scenarios where the Bengals are "stuck" with the QB that falls to them instead of getting the guy they want.  Hey, if they want Tua, then take him.  Just because the consensus opinion is Burrow, it doesn't mean that Tua isn't a viable option.  If they like him, then they should take him.  But to trade down and be forced to take who falls to you is playing with fire.

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

Burrow + current bungles = more than likely failure

#5 + #18 + #56 + current bungles = a slightly less chance of failure

See TBay’s post above.

If the Bengals think Tua is a better or safer pick than Burrow, go ahead and take him. 

Banking on drafting Tua at 5 would be dumb. Passing on the QB they like best just to potentially get a few other starters would be dumb too.

46 minutes ago, MDC said:

Absolutely.  If they pass on him, they lose the local fans and the media. He will be at least solid. There is no downside.

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

See TBay’s post above.

If the Bengals think Tua is a better or safer pick than Burrow, go ahead and take him. 

Banking on drafting Tua at 5 would be dumb. Passing on the QB they like best just to potentially get a few other starters would be dumb too.

Not sure I said Tua, pretty sure I said #5 (in this specific post)

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Absolutely.  If they pass on him, they lose the local fans and the media. He will be at least solid. There is no downside.

Cleveland Browns drafting Mayfield - I am guessing there has been downside