Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Will the Bungles go full bungles and keep the #1 pick?

6 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

He was 29.  That is prime for a QB.  You listen to too much sports radio.  

Refute any of the rest of what I posted. 

haven't listened in weeks, they talk about nothing.  so you're saying the stats lie?  

Cam newton is 30, prime right? why doesn't anyone want him?

They are taking Burrow and they should. Not sure why we are making this difficult.  

:dunno:

He's the obvious correct choice for any team that needs a QB.  If he busts he busts, it happens all the time.  Doesn't mean it was the wrong choice.  

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

haven't listened in weeks, they talk about nothing.  so you're saying the stats lie?  

Cam newton is 30, prime right? why doesn't anyone want him?

Newton is still in his prime.  Whether he is still good or not is a different debate. 

You are bringing a whole new level of rewriting history to this discussion.  Even after Brady had his little run during the season in 2001, there was a debate as to whether to go with Bledsoe when healthy.  

13 minutes ago, Reality said:

They are taking Burrow and they should. Not sure why we are making this difficult.  

He's the obvious correct choice for any team that needs a QB.  If he busts he busts, it happens all the time.  Doesn't mean it was the wrong choice.  

I am sorry, that is just simple minded thinking. How can you possibly think the bungles will do the right thing?

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am sorry, that is just simple minded thinking. How can you possibly think the bungles will do the right thing?

One thing that worries me is them having to use actual technology to make the pick.  That may be the deal breaker.

Yeah. Brady Bledsoe was the minshew-foles situation of its day. 

If they hadn't gotten unbelievably lucky and gotten the goat qb in the sixth, the entire Patriots dynasty never happens.

Hell, if Brady wasn't taking sweetheart deals all these years, they wouldn't have had the success they have.

Qb is the rock upon which a team is built. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

His prime? :o  0 and 2 when he got hurt, 5-11 the previous year 17 td 13 int, 8 and 8 the year before 19 td and 21 int   HAH!

Stop the focking madness.

The Bungles have Andy Dalton, do they not? 

They're not keeping Dalton.  I thought they already made that clear? No?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2020/04/02/nfl-free-agency-cincinnati-bengals-qb-andy-dalton-next-spot-opinion/5111463002/

13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Stop. Let Corky have his rant. Makes good entertainment 

14 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Isnt Tua damaged goods? Like he has some degenerative stuff or something and won’t be the same? Seems like a land mine anywhere in rnd 1. Take safer bets early and go after the next tier of QBs that ran pro style offenses and completed 3rd down passes.

Stop that. :nono:

Some of us are trying to get Dan Snyder to fall in love with him.

5 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Qb is the rock upon which a team is built. 

I disagree there.  The NFL is a coaches' league.  Hiring a proven winner at head coach is closer to a LOCK to turn your franchise into a winner than anything else.

1 minute ago, riversco said:

I disagree there.  The NFL is a coaches' league.  Hiring a proven winner at head coach is closer to a LOCK to turn your franchise into a winner than anything else.

Barry Switzer. 

4 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Stop that. :nono:

Some of us are trying to get Dan Snyder to fall in love with him.

Pretty sure Rivera has more say than Gruden. Especially now since Bruce Allen is gone. 

Things are going to change this time!!

😕

5 minutes ago, riversco said:

I'm not sure I follow you.

He was horrible. He won.  My point, as usual, is that there are many different ways to win in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He was horrible. He won.  My point, as usual, is that there are many different ways to win in the NFL. 

Sure.  As I said, the closest thing to a LOCK is hiring a proven winner at head coach.  That implies your point about Barry Switzer, that there are other ways to win (but not nearly as common).   So I thought you had some other meaning.

On 4/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, edjr said:

if the Bungles draft Burrow at #1, they will further prove to the dumbest NFL franchise ever.

Burrow is not good enough alone to help the bungles not be the bungles. 

But 3 draft picks from Miami just might do the trick, or at least be a great start.

They would get #5, #18 and #56 in this years draft

NO BRAINER!

Tua could be there at 5 and he will be better than Burrow (especially Burrow if he were on the Bungles)

I have to call myself out, on one of my TimHauck prognostications of all time. Ouch.

Made worse by saying Tua would be better than Burrow. 

No one else on this board would ever do this.  

Oof. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:59 AM, Reality said:

:first: 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

:first: 

Full disclosure, I thought he'd be good but, I didn't think he'd be this good. He's an absolute stud with balls of steel. 

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

Full disclosure, I thought he'd be good but, I didn't think he'd be this good. He's an absolute stud with balls of steel. 

This guy did... :wave:

• Like 1

if the Bungles draft Burrow at #1, they will further prove to the dumbest NFL franchise ever.

But 3 draft picks from Miami just might do the trick, or at least be a great start.

NO BRAINER!

Tua could be there at 5 and he will be better than Burrow (especially Burrow if he were on the Bungles)

oof

19 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

oof

yeah I already said that. I also said Zach Wilson would suck. How did I do there?

23 hours ago, edjr said:

I am pretty sure that there have been others to call themselves out for a bad prediction...

But props to you for owning up to it...

BTW, I am surprised you even remembered a thread you started, you just usually start a new one and "damn the past" threads...

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

yeah I already said that. I also said Zach Wilson would suck. How did I do there?

I am aware

23 hours ago, edjr said:

I have to call myself out, on one of my TimHauck prognostications of all time. Ouch.

Made worse by saying Tua would be better than Burrow. 

Oof. 

I give you credit for bumping this thread. On the other hand, if Burrow busted hard you’d be beating your chest like King King and you’d STILL be wrong.

You always draft a QB at 1 overall if quarterback is a need and there’s a potential franchise QB in the draft. Trading down to get some assets and banking on your guy being there later is dumb, even if your dumb move works out in the end.

It’s the difference between process and results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

I give you credit for bumping this thread. On the other hand, if Burrow busted hard you’d be beating your chest like King King and your STILL be wrong.

You always draft a QB at 1 overall if quarterback is a need and there’s a potential franchise QB in the draft. Trading down to get some assets and banking on your guy being there later is dumb, even if your dumb move works out in the end.

It’s the difference between process and results.

That rhetoric is changing my friend. Teams are going to start slowly treating QBs like running backs and hope to get one later in the draft.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, JustinCharge said:

In short, the Bengals have the 1st overall pick, they should just select a QB instead of gambling by trading down.

listen to this guy.

21 minutes ago, edjr said:

That rhetoric is changing my friend. Teams are going to start slowly treating QBs like running backs and hope to get one later in the draft.

I think what teams should do is, instead of picking up a player's 5th year option, they should give them a 4-year extension.  Give them a signing bonus that could be spread out over the next 5 years and backload the contract with cash.

Instead of Year 4 being worth $2M and Year 5 being worth $21M... and needing to give that guy $40M+ over the next how many years, you give them a $40M signing bonus, then give them $20M average over the next 4 years (maybe less if necessary).  The thing is, you backload the deal.

• Year 4 - $40M (signing bonus), + $2M contract = $10M cap hit
  • Year 5 - $10M (guaranteed) = $18M cap hit
  • Year 6 - $10M = $18M cap hit
  • Year 7 - $25M = $33M cap hit ($16M if released)
  • Year 8 - $35M = New deal (or let it ride w/$43M cap hit)

If the player plays it out to his 5th year option, he'll get $23M (give or take), then if he's worth it, it's get a big bonus and cash, and kind of be underpaid by the 3rd year of his new deal.  With giving him an extension, he gets $50M locked up over the next 2 year (double), in return, he takes a lower AAV over the next 3 years.  The team saves money (because they'd probably have to give him like $150M in bonus money), then have to give him an average of $40M AAV.  The player wins because he's making $50M now, instead of half of that, and he'll hit free agency more times while he's younger, ages 24 and 29 instead of age 26 and 35 (give or take).  If the guy ends up not being all that great, it's not costing you that much to keep him for an extra year and you can cut him after "Year 6" and only have a $16M cap hit.  If he's "good" and not "great" or better, you can trade him after "Year 6" and add more picks to your draft to upgrade the position.  If he's "great" or better, then after "Year 7", you give him a longer term deal.  This way, you have 7 years, instead of 5, with a QB and never really have a high cap hit.  Gives you a longer "rookie contract window".

NO BRAINER!

This aged well.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think what teams should do is, instead of picking up a player's 5th year option, they should give them a 4-year extension.  Give them a signing bonus that could be spread out over the next 5 years and backload the contract with cash.

Instead of Year 4 being worth $2M and Year 5 being worth $21M... and needing to give that guy $40M+ over the next how many years, you give them a $40M signing bonus, then give them $20M average over the next 4 years (maybe less if necessary).  The thing is, you backload the deal.

• Year 4 - $40M (signing bonus), + $2M contract = $10M cap hit
  • Year 5 - $10M (guaranteed) = $18M cap hit
  • Year 6 - $10M = $18M cap hit
  • Year 7 - $25M = $33M cap hit ($16M if released)
  • Year 8 - $35M = New deal (or let it ride w/$43M cap hit)

If the player plays it out to his 5th year option, he'll get $23M (give or take), then if he's worth it, it's get a big bonus and cash, and kind of be underpaid by the 3rd year of his new deal.  With giving him an extension, he gets $50M locked up over the next 2 year (double), in return, he takes a lower AAV over the next 3 years.  The team saves money (because they'd probably have to give him like $150M in bonus money), then have to give him an average of $40M AAV.  The player wins because he's making $50M now, instead of half of that, and he'll hit free agency more times while he's younger, ages 24 and 29 instead of age 26 and 35 (give or take).  If the guy ends up not being all that great, it's not costing you that much to keep him for an extra year and you can cut him after "Year 6" and only have a $16M cap hit.  If he's "good" and not "great" or better, you can trade him after "Year 6" and add more picks to your draft to upgrade the position.  If he's "great" or better, then after "Year 7", you give him a longer term deal.  This way, you have 7 years, instead of 5, with a QB and never really have a high cap hit.  Gives you a longer "rookie contract window".

Burrow might be the 1st QB to get a 250 million guaranteed deal

4 hours ago, edjr said:

Bullseye.  

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Burrow might be the 1st QB to get a 250 million guaranteed deal

I think he should.  He's the best QB in the league.

• Haha 1