Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

One idea about food stamps which which I agree

Given the current environment, I don't know who originally came up with it, but the idea of being able to use your food stamp debit card to purchase food to go from restaurants is actually a pretty smart idea and easily executable.

I've worked a lot in that community. And, thanks primarily to the efforts of liberals and Republicans alike, The majority of food stamps are spent on Crap like soda pop. In fact, sodapop represents about 24% of the average food stamp expenditure. You know why? Because you can't buy hot food prepared food with food stamps. But you can buy candy and mountain dew and Pop-Tarts all day long. 

See, well meaning and entirely idiotic politicians decided that they wanted food stamps used on foodstuffs that could be refrigerated and then cooked and prepared as meals. except for the fact that most of the people on food stamps don't have access to refrigeration and stoves and ovens and cookware and whatnot. So what happens? Places like 7-Eleven are overrun and have workarounds such that you can buy nachos, but you have to microwave them after you buy them. That works within food stamp guidelines. Seriously. and the truth is, most of food stamps are spent on prepared junk food like Twinkies and potato chips. They can actually track that you know?

So, at a minimum. This is a massive government handout. And it makes sense in theory. But given the current context, Let these guys buy ' to go ' food. Prepared hot meals for themselves and their kids. And oh by the way, support the service industry massively at the same time.

We debated this in another thread.  I agree it should be allowed currently.  Sadly though, most of the restaurants open now are the national chains so this wouldn't help the mom and pop types, many of which might never reopen.  

I think those on welfare would prolly get more nutritious food from a restaurant than they crap they are allowed to buy in party or grocery stores.  They should call them snack stamps.   

• Thanks 1

I'll never understand why it costs like $8 for a salad but you can buy $1 cheeseburgers.  That doesn't help.

6 minutes ago, riversco said:

I'll never understand why it costs like $8 for a salad but you can buy $1 cheeseburgers.  That doesn't help.

Mostly because of scale. A lot more people buy cheeseburgers than salad.

Also, you can easily freeze hamburger stuff. Salad has freshness issues. 

Not to mention, we choose to subsidize corn, so anything with high fructose corn in it is cheap as fock. 

Buying 1 meal isn't the point of food stamps. Isn't the point to try to encourage these people to take care of themselves.