Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Best Live sporting event you were at.

Me hands down - I was at Islanders 4th Stanley Cup clinching victory- about 10 rows up right behind Billy Smith. 
Definitely a Top 5 day in my life

SB 22 in San Diego. Very odd game.1 quarter was the game. 

Call Ripken passes Gehrig game. Cals home run and mid game victory lap. Never to be repeated.

2006 NFL season: January of 2007 - Patriots at Colts in the AFCCG and last game played at the RCA Dome. Pats led 21-6 at half, but the Colts stormed back in the 2nd half to win 38-34.

WrestleMania XIV

2001 World Series game 3 at Yankee Stadium. 

Just after 9/11.  Bush threw the greatest ceremonial first pitch of all time and the Yankees won their first game of the series.  

Duke vs. IU 2002 Lexington Ky. NCAA tourney.

AJ Moye big block on Boozer, IU sends Duke home, GTFO DUKE!!

Partied like no other that night.

Cubs world series game 6.

Caught a BP homer off Schwarber,  cubs won fairly easily,  Bryant homered,  addison hit a grand slam.  3rd row down the line...great time.

I saw a combined no hitter in 91 for the braves against the father's. Mark wholers,alajandro pena and Kent merker. 

"The Comeback" 1992 AFC Wildcard game where Frank Reich led the Bills over Oilers after falling behind 35-3.

There have been a lot of amazing Iowa football games I've been to but when they destroyed Ohio State in 2017 has got to be one of the best ever.

I was there the night Roger Clemens rocketed a single (1st career AB) up the middle against Norm Chalrton/Mariners in 1996. Red Sox had to lift the DH and Clemens got up in the 9th inning. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There have been a lot of amazing Iowa football games I've been to but when they destroyed Ohio State in 2017 has got to be one of the best ever.

:o   Oh yeah! Iowa Regular season Football. FEEL THE POWAH!

Just now, edjr said:

:o   Oh yeah! Iowa Regular season Football. FEEL THE POWAH!

Better than fake wrestling.

• Like 1

Super bowl: 49er vs broncos in New Orleans.  

super bowl: 49ers vs Miami at Stanford 

2006 ALDS Kenny Rogers beat Randy Johnson and the Yankmes 6-0. Kenny was untouchable and the crowd chanted KenNeee...KenNeee...the whole game, the noise was incredible. The Tigers crushed the Yankers in every playoff series since then too

As a Yankees fan and former season ticket holder I’ll have to abstain. Too many to count. It’s like picking your favorite child. Never mind the ones you forget about in the Philippines. 

1966 city championship, Polk High School vs. Andrew Johnson High School

• Haha 1

Like @TimmySmith Super Bowl XXII,that 2nd quarter 35 point explosion by the Skins was amazing.

As a KC fan first and foremost I was also at the 1994 Monday Night Montana vs. Elway game in Denver which the last I saw was only 2nd behind the Monday Night Miracle for greatest MNF game ever.

4 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

SB 22 in San Diego. Very odd game.1 quarter was the game. 

14 minutes ago, nzoner said:

Like @TimmySmith Super Bowl XXII,that 2nd quarter 35 point explosion by the Skins was amazing.

I was in the vicinity.  Went to USD and was able to watch the Skins practice

Celts vs Lakers Game 6 in 2008.  Only season ticket I have ever done.  Up 3-2 in the series.  Curb stomped the Lakers in the first half.  Second half was a high five party.  

1 hour ago, HTH said:

Monday Night Miracle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday_Night_Miracle_(American_football)

Best Live Sporting event evah!

:pointstosky:

I was in Vegas for a sales meeting when this game happened; it was on in the background wherever I was (NY NY I think).  Every time I looked up the score got closer, finally just watched the game.  I probably saved a lot of money by not gambling.  :D

• Like 1

Went to a horse race at Pimlico a few times. Once there was a horse called Bodacious Tatas running.  That was pretty fun.

I was at the fight between John "The Beast" Mugumbi vs Frank "The Animal" Fletcher. Mugumbi knocked Fletcher out of the ring. I went to the victory party and drank a bottle of Chevis with Mugumbi. Great guy.

About 15 years ago.  My Mom, after retiring, had become a huge Lakers fan.  This was odd as she had never been in to sports.  In particular, she loved Kobe.   So, for her birthday I took her to a Laker's game.  I told her she should see Kobe play live because he won't be around forever, and I wanted her to see him in his prime.  Had really good seats and she very much enjoyed it.  It was special sharing one of my passions with my Mom. 

• Like 1

I've got two but I'll go with the 2017 wildcard play-in game between the DBacks and the Rockies, best known locally for reliever Archie Bradley hitting an RBI triple late in the game (benches were depleted).  Video below, I'm not sure it does justice to how crazy the crowd was.  Players still say stuff like "hey, has Archie told you about the triple he hit? :D " to troll him.  He loves it, all good.

Close second was the Packers/Cards 2016 playoff game where the Packers tied it up in the last second on a hail mary.  I was straight to the side and had a (unfortunately) perfect view of the catch.  Looking at the video I'm still not sure it was a catch.  Anyway, the Cards won in overtime so it was all good. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwiBW6j80kI

8 hours ago, Saturday Night Beaver said:

Piazza home run against the Braves.  First game in NYC after 9/11 attacks.

9/21

18 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I was in the vicinity.  Went to USD and was able to watch the Skins practice

We arrived in SD at a friend's at roughly 2 in the morning,  and they said, let's go to TJ. We get to TJ around 3 and it's like as alive as the average city at 8pm.  Kids playing in the street. Crazy. Everything was a blur for the next 4 days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I was in Vegas for a sales meeting when this game happened; it was on in the background wherever I was (NY NY I think).  Every time I looked up the score got closer, finally just watched the game.  I probably saved a lot of money by not gambling.  :D

:lol::thumbsup:

3 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

We arrived in SD at a friend's at roughly 2 in the morning,  and they said, let's go to TJ. We get to TJ around 3 and it's like as alive as the average city at 8pm.  Kids playing in the street. Crazy. Everything was a blur for the next 4 days.

Just curious did you already have your tickets?

TV is often > going to the event. 

I've been to a UFC PPV, 11 Dallas Cowboys Games (in 7 different stadiums)  Tampa Rays Game, Texas Rangers Game, NCAA Big 10 Wrestling Championships,  ASU College Football,  Minn Gophers Football,  NDSU Football..

TV is better IMO if you actually want to WATCH the gameplay.   Going for the "atmosphere" can be fun also.   I get that part. 

Can be better. Not always.

If you like drunk fockers next to you spilling beer on everyone, or opposing fans threatening to beat the life out of you then yeah, its always a great time. 

Best was Cowboys vs SF at Candlestick in 1994.  SF won but it was still just very cool.

Worst was UFC 103.  Can't see through cage very well, had to watch on the big screen that is above the cage.  Drunk guy next to me, singing the ENTIRE focking time. 

Also Dallas at Philly....we drove for 24 hours to get there (straight), were there for 36 hours, drove 24 hours (straight) to get back.  Took me a month to feel 'normal' again after that trip.   Philly fans the worst ever.  City was filthy.

1 hour ago, nzoner said:

Just curious did you already have your tickets?

Yes. We won the season ticket lottery for the Skins. I took 2, we sold 2. Face was $175 I think.  We were in the end zone with temporary stands.  Very good seats actually. but all the 2nd quarter action was in the other end zone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Yes. We won the season ticket lottery for the Skins. I took 2, we sold 2. Face was $175 I think.  We were in the end zone with temporary stands.  Very good seats actually. but all the 2nd quarter action was in the other end zone.

That's cool.I actually went down to Inter-Continental Hotel(NFL Headquarters) the night before to scalp tickets.Stayed until 3 a.m. with no luck but I did get to meet a few players and personalities.Went back at 7 that morning and about 8 met a guy in the main hallway who had two tickets for $600,I told him all I had was $500 and he actually agreed.

3 minutes ago, nzoner said:

That's cool.I actually went down to Inter-Continental Hotel(NFL Headquarters) the night before to scalp tickets.Stayed until 3 a.m. with no luck but I did get to meet a few players and personalities.Went back at 7 that morning and about 8 met a guy in the main hallway who had two tickets for $600,I told him all I had was $500 and he actually agreed.

So many great stories that I am not sure could happen today.  Spent a lot of time at the Skins Hotel.  Met Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, Timmy Smith.  Crashed the Skins post game party.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

So many great stories that I am not sure could happen today.  Spent a lot of time at the Skins Hotel.  Met Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, Timmy Smith.  Crashed the Skins post game party.

Very cool,I had a high school friend named Jilana that worked at the bar at that hotel during the Super Bowl,I remember her telling me the tips were amazing.