Sign in to follow this  
edjr

NBA trying to set up a spot in Vegas to play NBA playoffs

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/the-playoff-scenarios-nba-is-discussing-for-hopeful-return/

Though news of the coronavirus pandemic has been discouraging, NBA executives still cling to hope of arranging a one-site, fan-less, 16-team playoff and a five-to-seven-game regular-season prelude, according to multiple NBA sources.

“They’re very determined to have a champion,” one industry source said.

The playoffs could be reduced to a slew of best-of-three series across the board. A single-elimination format has been all but ruled out — only under consideration as a last resort.

“Nothing is off the table,” another league official said.

The obvious destination for a one-site event is UNLV in Las Vegas, which has hosted recent summer leagues with all 30 clubs. Hotels are plentiful. One destination reportedly discussed was the Bahamas. According to an NBA source, there’s also been internal talks about Orlando, Atlantic City, Hawaii and Louisville hosting the playoffs.

The notion of having teams finish up all of their regular-season schedule is barely an option at this stage. The Knicks (21-45) had 16 games remaining.

According to one source, getting some teams to a magical number of 70 regular-season games had been a goal, but in the last week has taken on less of a priority.

Regional networks have contracts that call for a minimum of 70 games for its local teams. The 70-game contractual marker is in place to make sure marquee franchises aren’t regulars on exclusive national TV games.

NBA teams have played between 64 and 67 games, but some have been nationally televised. The Knicks have had 64 of their 66 games on MSG Network.

Pretty much predicted this a week ago, you clowns laughed. 

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Any league that fires up is dumb not to include every team.  I predict they will. 

In the playoffs?

I heard this on the radio a couple of days ago.  It's encouraging, but nothing's gonna happen until this curve has has been flattened, stomped and buried. 

Great idea if they can pull it off. I read the NBA is already figuring out how to shrink next season to accommodate the playoffs this year. 

As always Adam Silver and the NBA are leading from the front. :thumbsup: 

Stupid idea IMO...

Sports isn't that important right now...  Yes I know that there are people that "need" it, but if you live your life for sports, then there is something wrong with you IMO...

However, I could see this working...   A lot of teams are already have defenders six feet from the guy with ball...

2 hours ago, posty said:

Stupid idea IMO...

Sports isn't that important right now...  Yes I know that there are people that "need" it, but if you live your life for sports, then there is something wrong with you IMO...

However, I could see this working...   A lot of teams are already have defenders six feet from the guy with ball...

While I would agree with you that sports may not be all that important right now in the big picture, they provide a happy distraction from all the mess in the world right now.

We may not need it, but it sure would be nice to have something that makes life feel a little more normal.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, edjr said:

In the playoffs?

Why not? Keeps every city interested.  Give the top teams byes. Let the scrubs play each other.  There is no downside for the nba.

6 minutes ago, Reality said:

No sports sucks, yes, please work this out.

Why haven't they tried E sports?  Anything, PLEASE!!

15 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

If football is messed up in any way then I'm probably Going to go a little crazy. 

The draft is going to be watched by more people than the last episode of mash

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Why haven't they tried E sports?  Anything, PLEASE!!

NBC Sports Washington has been simulating the Wizards and Capitals on their game night...  They PBP and color guy is even announcing the games...

It is definitely flawed though, the Wizards beat the Bucks and the Lakers in back-to-back games...

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

The draft is going to be watched by more people than the last episode of mash

Highly unlikely...  They would have to make it more interesting for people to stay watching...

2 minutes ago, posty said:

Highly unlikely...  They would have to make it more interesting for people to stay watching...

Debbie downer, I am talking about the 1st hour or so.  They will be alright if you dont watch

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Debbie downer, I am talking about the 1st hour or so.  They will be alright if you dont watch

So the first three picks?

5 minutes ago, posty said:

So the first three picks?

This is the NFL, not the Edex Draft

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, edjr said:

This is the NFL, not the Edex Draft

:lol: