Sign in to follow this  
Drizzay

Had to put the dog down

13 year old Kelpie (aussie cattle dog), named Reese.

She was a good dog, a bit Emo though.  She didn't like to be around other animals.

She developed bad arthritis in the back legs and was suffering for a while.  Finally, she lashed out and bit our Pomeranian and our 18 month old daughter within a week of each other.

The circle of life sucks sometimes, but at least good memories endure.

Carry on.

Sorry to hear man.  Losing a pet is one of the worst things to have to go through. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you both.  It was harder on the wife.  Reese was in her life before i came around.  She found her tied up to a dumpster in '08 when she was living in Detroit.

She moved 13 different times with her.  When bins were pulled out, Reese would cower, :lol:

5 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Thank you both.  It was harder on the wife.  Reese was in her life before i came around.  She found her tied up to a dumpster in '08 when she was living in Detroit.

She move 13 different times with her.  When bins were pulled out, Reese would cower, lol.

Sorry to hear.  Would have been funny though had your wife named the dog Dumpster.

Come Dumpster!!  Come Dumpster!!!  

12 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

She moved 13 different times with her.  When bins were pulled out, Reese would cower, :lol:

If it is hard on her, it is hard on you. Dogs are special (sorry Sux). Losing a pet is awful and it is a shame that they live such a short life. 

Our current dog is 11 1/2 and the wife thinks she is done soon. I think my wife is done soon. :lol:

Were you able to be with the dog when she was put down?  Last week we had to have our 16 year old cat put down but we couldn't hold him in the room when it happened.  Had to settle for saying goodbye in the car since the vet wasn't letting anyone come into the clinic. 

Can't blame her for biting the Pomeranian. What did your daughter do to deserve getting bit? 

Also, sorry. Always sucks having to make the call. Never gets easier no matter how many times you have to do it.  :(

6 minutes ago, DonS said:

Were you able to be with the dog when she was put down?  Last week we had to have our 16 year old cat put down but we couldn't hold him in the room when it happened.  Had to settle for saying goodbye in the car since the vet wasn't letting anyone come into the clinic. 

:(

Sorry guys. Putting a pet down is tough.

our dog is 9 and starting to slow down.  I think we have a bit more time, but a couple of ours have degenerated quickly in the past.  Trying to pamper her as much as possible 

T's & P's.

I've done it twice before. It was two of the worst experiences of my life.

We were able to be with her.  The vet had a quiet room and plenty of treats .  They first give her a medicine that makes her want to lie down, then they give her anesthesia until she overdoses.  I didn't know they did it that way.  But it was very peaceful.

My daughter grabbed her hips and that is when she turned around and bit her.  We believe she was in a lot of pain from the arthritis.

1 hour ago, Drizzay said:

We were able to be with her.  The vet had a quiet room and plenty of treats .  They first give her a medicine that makes her want to lie down, then they give her anesthesia until she overdoses.  I didn't know they did it that way.  But it was very peaceful.

My daughter grabbed her hips and that is when she turned around and bit her.  We believe she was in a lot of pain from the arthritis.

Yeah, grabbing arthritic hips would do it. Hopefully your daughter understands that the dog was in pain and that was her way of saying "don't do that." 

Tough situation all around. Glad you were able to be with her and that she went peacefully. 

11 hours ago, fandandy said:

Sorry to hear.  Would have been funny though had your wife named the dog Dumpster.

Come Dumpster!!  Come Dumpster!!!  

ha.  very sorry Drizzay.  Had to put down our dog last month, just 6.5 yrs old, got cancer, one of the worst days of my life.

Sorry.  It is hard to know when it is time.  It is the toughest thing to do.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Sorry.  It is hard to know when it is time.  It is the toughest thing to do.

Huh? 

Drizzay/Dons,
I just want to add that in addition to feeling your pain at the loss of a loved one, this is a horrible time to have to go through this.  We all have enough on our plates dealing with this virus but to have to deal with losing a loved pet/family member is brutal.  Best wishes to both of you.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Huh? 

Huh?

52 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

ha.  very sorry Drizzay.  Had to put down our dog last month, just 6.5 yrs old, got cancer, one of the worst days of my life.

Sorry to hear that.  6-1/2 is too young. 

39 minutes ago, Strike said:

Drizzay/Dons,
I just want to add that in addition to feeling your pain at the loss of a loved one, this is a horrible time to have to go through this.  We all have enough on our plates dealing with this virus but to have to deal with losing a loved pet/family member is brutal.  Best wishes to both of you.

T's and P's to you and your family. Just take some sort of comfort in knowing you did the right thing for you pet. She was suffering and now she is at peace. Never an easy thing to do though. 

15 hours ago, Drizzay said:

(aussie cattle dog)

Felt sorry for ya til that.  I hate Australian Shepard's. Got bit a few times as a kid by one.

You do not get my thoughts, prayers, or condolences.  In fact I'm drinking a toast to one less Australian Shepard in the world.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Felt sorry for ya til that.  I hate Australian Shepard's. Got bit a few times as a kid by one.

You do not get my thoughts, prayers, or condolences.  In fact I'm drinking a toast to one less Australian Shepard in the world.

Was this from before you figured out the proper way to apply peanut butter?   "GobbleDog"...  Hmmm... 

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Was this from before you figured out the proper way to apply peanut butter?   "GobbleDog"...  Hmmm... 

It all makes perfect sense now.