MDC

So what’s your alcohol consumption like these days?

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

As restaurants' sales are dramatically down, those that remain open (doing curbside, delivery, and to go) are taking extra precautions with their sanitation practices.  

Do you think personal chefs are going to become a thing? I can see wealthy people electing to have people at their house and have a pro prepare the meal.  Having been around those types I can see it booming. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Do you think personal chefs are going to become a thing? I can see wealthy people electing to have people at their house and have a pro prepare the meal.  Having been around those types I can see it booming. 

There may be an uptick, but if it happens it might be after the dust settles.  I think households want to limit contact of those who are coming and going in the house.  There have been a lot of layoffs in the industry and I know a lot of cooks/chefs are available. If they do start this up, they will likely stay with it.  I did it for a year or two and loved it.  I only did events for friends and family. Easiest cooking I have done.... and for those I cared about.  I only stopped because I still had to give up my Fridays and Saturdays (family time).

28 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

There may be an uptick, but if it happens it might be after the dust settles.  I think households want to limit contact of those who are coming and going in the house.  There have been a lot of layoffs in the industry and I know a lot of cooks/chefs are available. If they do start this up, they will likely stay with it.  I did it for a year or two and loved it.  I only did events for friends and family. Easiest cooking I have done.... and for those I cared about.  I only stopped because I still had to give up my Fridays and Saturdays (family time).

Yeah, you have to give up most weekends and probably some holidays. I think when they come up with a easy to use test for individuals to be able to test for coronavirus people will become more open to having people in their home. At least they get to control who they come in contact with. I’m kinda worried for restaurants. I like the work ethic that people in that industry have and that it’s sink or swim in that racket. If you suck you aren’t lasting too long. I washed dishes in high school and  got  to see what goes on in a busy kitchen. I liked all the yelling. 

44 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, you have to give up most weekends and probably some holidays. I think when they come up with a easy to use test for individuals to be able to test for coronavirus people will become more open to having people in their home. At least they get to control who they come in contact with. I’m kinda worried for restaurants. I like the work ethic that people in that industry have and that it’s sink or swim in that racket. If you suck you aren’t lasting too long. I washed dishes in high school and  got  to see what goes on in a busy kitchen. I liked all the yelling.

I could see an uprising of more catering jobs (and possibly catering branching out for smaller niche "events").

I loved the energy and kitchen subculture.  My first experiences were when I was about 12...then later in high school when I would visit my relatives in New York. I spent most of my summers with my uncle working about 20 hrs/wk in his restaurants. Very fun.

19 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I could see an uprising of more catering jobs (and possibly catering branching out for smaller niche "events").

I loved the energy and kitchen subculture.  My first experiences were when I was about 12...then later in high school when I would visit my relatives in New York. I spend most of my summers with my uncle working about 20 hrs/wk in his restaurants. Very fun.

Yeah. You get a true glimpse of the adult world in the kitchen of a restaurant. People don’t have time for BS. Just get it done. And some great arguments go on, but you see that people can get over it. One waitress and a cook would go at it all the time. Then you see them having a drink after. 

• Like 1

My first job at 16 was as a dish washer at a steak house. After that I was a busboy at a nice restaurant that also did a ton of weddings / banquets.  Good times as the bartenders would sneak us busboys Heinekens, which we'd then go pound out back.  Ah, memories of a much simpler time. 

Eventually became a waiter at the same restaurant.  That's when I learned that French Canadians don't tip for sh1t. :mad:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

As restaurants' sales are dramatically down, those that remain open (doing curbside, delivery, and to go) are taking extra precautions with their sanitation practices.  

Yeah but it's still the same stoner in the kitchen making it and I don't trust him. 

24 of 25 days (or whatever the number is)

1 hour ago, NorthernVike said:

Yeah but it's still the same stoner in the kitchen making it and I don't trust him. 

I don’t get the commercials where they use a tray to hand the person a bag in the drive through. They still touched the bag to put it on the tray. :dunno:They also have the bag closed up. If food can’t carry the virus, what’s the difference? 

On 4/6/2020 at 3:27 PM, vuduchile said:

Drinking wine 4-5 nights/week 

This thread got me thinking, so I haven't had a drink since I posted this.  I'll probably cave tonight or tomorrow.  

39 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

This thread got me thinking, so I haven't had a drink since I posted this.  I'll probably cave tonight or tomorrow.  

because you are excluding semen from the discussion?  :lol:

3 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Much more care is given to sanitation practices now. 

On 4/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, Bier Meister said:

same as pre-corona, pretty low

I've had two beers in a little over 400 days.....and those were last August.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I've had two beers in a little over 400 days.....and those were last August.

probably 4 drinks in a week.... maybe

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

I'd probably be a mess after one :D

• Like 1

Just finishing my first bloody Mary and about to make the next one. 

(I almost typed "about to make #2" but I figured you guys would misunderstand my meaning)

18 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Just finishing my first bloody Mary and about to make the next one. 

(I almost typed "about to make #2" but I figured you guys would misunderstand my meaning)

Who 

does

work

for?

• Haha 1

A top German doctor recommends whiskey to protect against COVID-19

While the World Health Organization vehemently disagrees, Dr. Juergen Rissland, a lead doctor at the Institute for Virology at Saarland University Hospital in Germany, went on the record to say: drinking whiskey can protect against COVID-19.

And that is definitely one report we can all get behind.

While appearing on "The Morning Show," Dr. Rissland was asked about whether or not drinking alcohol could kill any viruses a person may have ingested. "Yes, of course, that's true," Dr. Rissland responded. "And the higher the percentage of alcohol, the better it is. For example, if you are a whisky lover, then that certainly isn't a bad idea," he continued, while offering this bit of sage advice to pace yourself: "But of course you need to bear in mind that you can't do that every 15 minutes, that is something else to consider."

After being prodded a little further by the show's cohosts who asked him if he was really suggesting folks drink high-proof alcohol, Dr. Rissland didn't back down or attempt to clarify his remarks. Instead, he added, ""I would say it can't do any harm although we need to remember that it's not a guaranteed cure for the problem."

So there you have it at least from the Germans: Prost!

https://www.wearethemighty.com/MIGHTY-SURVIVAL/whiskey-protect-against-covid-19

:cheers:

25 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

drinking whiskey can protect against COVID-19.

:cheers:

No wonder I haven't gotten sick.

India, a filthy densely populated country does not appear to be having a huge death rate from coronavirus. Coincidently, they are the worlds largest producer of hydrochloriquine. 

28 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

India, a filthy densely populated country does not appear to be having a huge death rate from coronavirus. Coincidently, they are the worlds largest producer of hydrochloriquine. 

They also eat a lot of curry and no beef.  Lots of variables.  

31 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I was over there for three weeks a few years ago.  It's much like Mexico.  You can't drink the water.  In fact, it's worse than Mexico.  Besides having to get a bunch of additional vaccinations we don't require to live here, I was literally not allowed to drink their water.  We were given all the bottled water we wanted from the hotel, and even were told to use it to brush our teeth.  My point is that I wouldn't be surprised if they deal with worse than Coronavirus on a daily basis or have already built up an immunity to it.

2 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

No wonder I haven't gotten sick.

Thank you Laphroaig!!!! 

6 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I’ve had 4 drinks since I got home from work an hour and a half ago. 

Been a rough couple days at work and tomorrow I get to sleep in a bit.  I'll be drinking a few tonight I think....

19 hours ago, DonS said:

My first job at 16 was as a dish washer at a steak house. After that I was a busboy at a nice restaurant that also did a ton of weddings / banquets.  Good times as the bartenders would sneak us busboys Heinekens, which we'd then go pound out back.  Ah, memories of a much simpler time. 

That’s my coming of age story. I washed dishes at 15. Place was a wine and cheese “restaurant” / bar. 
After 6 weeks I was running the “kitchen”. Cheese platters/fondues/bar pies. Simple stuff. But we were drinking our faces off. I was banging all the waitresses that were like 10 years older then me. Stealing bottles of Dom P.  Fun times. Lots of memories. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shotsup said:

That’s my coming of age story. I washed dishes at 15. Place was a wine and cheese “restaurant” / bar. 
After 6 weeks I was running the “kitchen”. Cheese platters/fondues/bar pies. Simple stuff. But we were drinking our faces off. I was banging all the waitresses that were like 10 years older then me. Stealing bottles of Dom P.  Fun times. Lots of memories. 

Dish Pigs unite! 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Strike said:

Been a rough couple days at work and tomorrow I get to sleep in a bit.  I'll be drinking a few tonight I think....

Wait, you’ve been sober this whole time? 

Going way up tonight.  My imaginary girl friend just closed on the sale of her house.   I’m already a few beers in and about to open a bottle of Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque Champagne to surprise her and celebrate.  Then cocktails and wine.  :banana:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Going way up tonight.  My imaginary girl friend just closed on the sale of her house.   I’m already a few beers in and about to open a bottle of Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque Champagne to surprise her and celebrate.  Then cocktails and wine.  :banana:

Congrats!  Does that mean she is moving in, if she wasn't effectively living there already?  :cheers:

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Congrats!  Does that mean she is moving in, if she wasn't effectively living there already?  :cheers:

Thanks!  She moved in at the end of last year.  

she said to tell you Hi. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Ummmm. Can size???!!!

My bad 40D

1 hour ago, Bert said:

she said to tell you Hi. 

Tell her I said hi as well.  Wish I had more time when we all met.  Next time.  :cheers:

36 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Tell her I said hi as well.  Wish I had more time when we all met.  Next time.  :cheers:

Will do. Absolutely and you can bring your wife. 

2 hours ago, Bert said:

she said to tell you Hi. 

I thought you knew better.   :nono:

3 hours ago, shotsup said:

I’ve had 4 drinks since I got home from work an hour and a half ago. 

It varies.  A couple of drinks while grilling tonight.

24 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I thought you knew better.   :nono:

This one focks, drinks, acts like she likes me, is now totally debt free and has three pensions.  

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Will do. Absolutely and you can bring your wife. 

Would be fun, hopefully it works out someday.  Recall that my trip was a guy's weekend with my bro since both of our wives were away... anyway, they are back in their Jax FL home now to ride out the plague.  Bro's construction project is pretty much on hold at this point, his wife works from home anyway, their daughter is home from college, and their son graduates college.