Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Houston Working Out Trade for Brandin Cooks

What a risky move, B Cooks as concussion issues.  

I don’t think it’s a good move. 

8 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Hearing reports that Houston is giving up a second-round pick this year and getting a 4th-rounder (2022) in return.

They basically traded D- Hop for Cooks, David Johnson, and a 4th. Not as bad as originally thought, but still just terrible...

9 minutes ago, jrokh said:

They basically traded D- Hop for Cooks, David Johnson, and a 4th. Not as bad as originally thought, but still just terrible...

The concussion history for Cooks is alarming.. at least 5 in the NFL. With as many WRs as there are in this rookie class, I'm not sure giving up a 2nd round pick for Cooks is the best idea.

2 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

The concussion history for Cooks is alarming.. at least 5 in the NFL. With as many WRs as there are in this rookie class, I'm not sure giving up a 2nd round pick for Cooks is the best idea.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Cooks has only missed 2 games since 2014 (and both of those were last year), so it's not like he's as injury prone as, say, Will Fuller.

And since 2014 (not counting last year), Cooks has averaged 77 receptions for 1150 yards and 7 TDs per season for 3 different QBs (Those 234 average fantasy points would have been top 15 in 2019).  It will be interesting to see what he can do with Watson, but I'm liking the fantasy potential here.

Probably at least gives back a glimmer of hope for Watson if anything IMO.

I own him in a dynasty league and I was feeling like that cupboard was looking pretty barren.

At least there may be a can or 2 now...........they are dented and have the potential for botulism, but there is some hope he may at least survive through the winter.

After five concussions I think he should think about retiring,  I think it’s a bad deal for the Texans.  

They are just trying to cover up for trading away Hopkins, and one good hit , and it’s a horrible move.  

as a Texans fan I'm curious as to why he's been traded so many times.  You don't hear anything a bout him being a bad locker room guy. The concussions are a concern. If he can stay healthy its a great add.

30 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

as a Texans fan I'm curious as to why he's been traded so many times.  You don't hear anything a bout him being a bad locker room guy. The concussions are a concern. If he can stay healthy its a great add.

My best guess as to why Cooks keeps getting traded is: A) The teams that want to acquire him view him as talented enough to be a # 1 WR only to discover eventually that he's really a good # 2. and B/ he can fetch a decent return if you decide to trade him. This time around is a little different as the Rams are swallowing a huge dead cap hit in this deal. The assumption is the Rams took a look at the potentially historic WR draft class and figured with an extra 2nd rounder they could replace cooks with a younger, cheaper model, and not lose too much at the position. KJ Hamler from Penn State has many similarities to cooks. 

36 minutes ago, jrokh said:

My best guess as to why Cooks keeps getting traded is: A) The teams that want to acquire him view him as talented enough to be a # 1 WR only to discover eventually that he's really a good # 2. and B/ he can fetch a decent return if you decide to trade him. This time around is a little different as the Rams are swallowing a huge dead cap hit in this deal. The assumption is the Rams took a look at the potentially historic WR draft class and figured with an extra 2nd rounder they could replace cooks with a younger, cheaper model, and not lose too much at the position. KJ Hamler from Penn State has many similarities to cooks. 

That's probably a very fair take on Cooks.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:01 PM, AxeElf said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Cooks has only missed 2 games since 2014 (and both of those were last year), so it's not like he's as injury prone as, say, Will Fuller.

And since 2014 (not counting last year), Cooks has averaged 77 receptions for 1150 yards and 7 TDs per season for 3 different QBs (Those 234 average fantasy points would have been top 15 in 2019).  It will be interesting to see what he can do with Watson, but I'm liking the fantasy potential here.

Not me. I dont get it.  Cooks Fuller and Stills all have a vertical game.  It will be a crapshoot week to week on who finds a bomb.  

Obrien is the dumbest man in the NFL.

Not sure how long their contracts are.  But I do know both Cooks and DJ are highly overpaid.

On paper, Houston’s skill position group looks well-rounded with Cooks mitigating the loss of Hopkins. But has the look of a group that could fade fast. 

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Not me. I dont get it.  Cooks Fuller and Stills all have a vertical game.  It will be a crapshoot week to week on who finds a bomb.  

After they watched KC outscore them 51-7 in three quarters utilizing 3 WRs with a vertical game, they probably thought it was a good idea.

On 4/11/2020 at 2:37 PM, AxeElf said:

After they watched KC outscore them 51-7 in three quarters utilizing 3 WRs with a vertical game, they probably thought it was a good idea.

Watson is a good QB.  He aint Mahomes.  They dont have a Kelce.  And none of those WRs are anywhere near Tyreeks level.

But what does that have to do with my original point?

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

But what does that have to do with my original point?

It sounded to me like your original point was to suggest that having 3 WRs with a vertical game is a bad thing, and that you didn't get why Houston would go in that direction--and I was pointing out why Houston might think that it was NOT such a bad thing, after being embarrassed by such a team in the playoffs.

That Texans game was T Hill third worst of last season.  

19 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It sounded to me like your original point was to suggest that having 3 WRs with a vertical game is a bad thing, and that you didn't get why Houston would go in that direction--and I was pointing out why Houston might think that it was NOT such a bad thing, after being embarrassed by such a team in the playoffs.

You said it will be interesting to see what cooks can do with Watson and you are liking his fantasy potential.  We were not talking about the Texans as a team and their overall passing attack.

I said I do not like Cooks because they now have 3 vertical WRs.  It will be a crapshoot as to who gets loose a few times for bombs.  It will be a different guy each week with the 50 yard TD.

Cooks is not a number 1.  He will not be force fed targets.

With Fuller in I think Cooks will be overdrafted.  If/when Fuller goes down which is obviously common then Cooks may hold value in those weeks.  But he basically depends on Fuller's health.  

Im sure Cooks will have some big games regardless.  And a lot of bad ones.  

In April and before rookies even get drafted it is too early for me to look at ADPs.  Id assume he will be over drafted based on name value.  That is a crowded WR room with 2 other guys with similar games.  He will not be dependable.  Not that he has been anyway for the last few years.

Would agree, Cooks adp is going to rise, and he’ll be over valued. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Would agree, Cooks adp is going to rise, and he’ll be over valued. 

Where should he be valued?

11 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Where should he be valued?

Good question. 

I don’t start work on rankings until after the nfl draft, but when I look at his adp it’s low right now, I’m know it well go up based on his talent , in which he has a lot of, and Watson’s talent also, but those five concussions we’ll be a big factor for me ranking him, even though he hasn’t missed many games in his nfl career, he did miss some last season, I don’t see him as a true wr one. 

I think he’s adp will go as high as a low wr1, right now just thinking about the situation, I wouldn’t take him higher then a low wr2.

Right now I think he’s ranked as a high wr3, and looks like his stock as been rising ever since the trade. 

But after the draft let’s review, and I’ll gladly share my rankings. 

Thanks, take care.  

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

You said it will be interesting to see what cooks can do with Watson and you are liking his fantasy potential.  We were not talking about the Texans as a team and their overall passing attack.

The Texans overall passing attack was just a side topic suggested by your implication that having 3 WRs with a vertical game was a bad thing.

But yeah, I'm liking Cooks' fantasy potential, not as a #1 WR, but as a 6th-7th round pick (his current ADP on Fantasy Football Calculator) who has returned top-15 fantasy numbers with three different QBs in four healthy seasons since 2014--so it will be interesting to see what he can do with Watson.

With 3 WR's going deep. Kahale Warring could have some sleeper ppr value at TE. I'm glad i stashed the kid on I.R. He might be a nice Watson safety valve. He was a 3rd round pick last year, and they did talk him up before his injury.

If DJ can return and he could be very productive in the passing also.