Jump to content
Herbivore

Favorite Song - Elton John

Favorite Song - Elton John  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. What is your favorite Elton John song?

    • Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting
      2
    • Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
      4
    • Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
      6
    • Levon
      3
    • Tiny Dancer
      4
    • Rocketman
      3
    • Bennie and the Jets
      2
    • Honky Cat
      0
    • Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
      0
    • Someone Save My Life Tonight
      1


Recommended Posts

Tried to avoid the outright ballads..like Your Song and Daniel.  and Croc Rock cause it stinks so bad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding for me.  Mainly because Dream Theater did a nice cover of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DonS said:

Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding for me. 

Me too. But not for DT reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be favorite AFTER FFAF/LLB.  For me it would be Someone Saved My Life Tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, shotsup said:

Me too. But not for DT reason. 

I should clarify regarding the DT cover... They always do exact covers of songs, no additions or "making it their own", so it pointed out to me the great music in the original song.  And of course that Elton John is a much better singer than James LaBrie. 

They also do a good version of Perfect Strangers as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the ones you listed I had a hard time choosing between "Tony Danza" and "Someone Shaved My Wife Tonight" so I chose "Rocket Man".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, Elton John is the greatest artist of all time.  I would listen to any of his songs at any time over another.  I'm currently listening to the "The One" album as I type.  I'll move on to Made in England next.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In my opinion, Elton John is the greatest artist of all time.  I would listen to any of his songs at any time over another.  I'm currently listening to the "The One" album as I type.  I'll move on to Made in England next.

I've never actually listened to an Elton John album before.  Just fired up GYBR.  :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Out of the ones you listed I had a hard time choosing between "Tony Danza" and "Someone Shaved My Wife Tonight" so I chose "Rocket Man".

 

Dammit 51 minutes too slow for this joke.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DonS said:

I've never actually listened to an Elton John album before.  Just fired up GYBR.  :thumbsup:

 

The first album of his that I heard was Sleeping with the Past, I think I was about 10 when I heard it.  There were a few songs on there that I liked and listened to a lot.  When I learned more about him, I heard Rocket Man, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Your Song.  I then bought The One album and was hooked.  At that point I went back and listened to the older stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted Levon.

It just so happens that I was also born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas Day and we have to stick together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I voted Levon.

It just so happens that I was also born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas Day and we have to stick together.

My favorite song is Healing Hands.  It was the first I remember hearing and listened to it over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had forgotten about All the Girls Love Alice.  That's another good one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Dammit 51 minutes too slow for this joke.

haha, which one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't Let Your Son Go Down On Me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

haha, which one?

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza.

that's what I thought

 

so you didn't care for my original one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

that's what I thought

 

so you didn't care for my original one? 

No, no you did good. It's just that when I see a hanging curveball in the thread title, as I open the thread, I want to be the one to hammer it first.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

while we're on this..... I'll list 10 of my faves that weren't a choice

1) Your Song

2) Candle in the Wind

3) Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters

4) Grey Seal

5) Daniel

6) Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word

7) Nikita

8 ) Madman Across the Water

9) Indian Sunset

10) Blue Eyes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DonS said:

I've never actually listened to an Elton John album before.  Just fired up GYBR.  :thumbsup:

 

 

3 hours ago, DonS said:

I had forgotten about All the Girls Love Alice.  That's another good one. 

Personally one of my top 10 albums ever,another good one

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Guy said:

while we're on this..... I'll list 10 of my faves that weren't a choice

1) Your Song

2) Candle in the Wind

3) Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters

4) Grey Seal

5) Daniel

6) Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word

7) Nikita

8 ) Madman Across the Water

9) Indian Sunset

10) Blue Eyes

 

I voted Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, as it is gorgeous and I warm and fuzzy associations with it, but I was going to make a note of a few of my other faves that weren’t listed.

Madman Across the Water - powerful 

Mona Lisa’s and Madhatters - gorgeous

All the Girls Love Alice - rocking 

Love Elton John. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was lucky enough to see him last year at the Chase Center. The building had recently opened and it was great for concerts although the seats are pretty much crammed into the space but I would expect that with all new arenas. Elton did a solid two hour performance with so much energy. The guy is still rocking it for someone his age. Great show. GYBR was my choice as he absolutely nailed that song when we saw him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nzoner said:

 

Personally one of my top 10 albums ever,another good one

 

Listened to this today doing yard work..I never had listened to one of his albums.  It was great.  This Alice song and Grey Seal standout.  but really all of it..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it’s a Christmas commercial always one of my favorites

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tiny Dancer. Mainly because of this scene.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where to start... I voted FFAF/LLB for the pole but that isn't the answer.  My favorite album of all time by any artist is his "Live in Australia" with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.  I had never heard the first four songs before, but was totally hooked by #3 (The Greatest Discovery, which he called one of his favorite songs).  If you have a sibling, especially a younger one, pull up the lyrics and listen to the song.  I can passibly play it on piano and was || close to doing so at my younger brother's wedding, but chickened out.  I'd pick that as my favorite.  #4 on the album is Tonight, which is a sad but beautiful song about an argument between lovers.  Get off my lawn and all, but they don't write lyrics like this any more.  That's my second favorite.  :cheers:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Where to start... I voted FFAF/LLB for the pole but that isn't the answer.  My favorite album of all time by any artist is his "Live in Australia" with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.  I had never heard the first four songs before, but was totally hooked by #3 (The Greatest Discovery, which he called one of his favorite songs).  If you have a sibling, especially a younger one, pull up the lyrics and listen to the song.  I can passibly play it on piano and was || close to doing so at my younger brother's wedding, but chickened out.  I'd pick that as my favorite.  #4 on the album is Tonight, which is a sad but beautiful song about an argument between lovers.  Get off my lawn and all, but they don't write lyrics like this any more.  That's my second favorite.  :cheers:

EJ doesn't write lyrics.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Should be favorite AFTER FFAF/LLB.  For me it would be Someone Saved My Life Tonight. 

This. Side favorite, I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sara bareilles does a version of yellow brick road that even Elton John himself. Was better than his version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Where to start... I voted FFAF/LLB for the pole but that isn't the answer.  My favorite album of all time by any artist is his "Live in Australia" with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.  I had never heard the first four songs before, but was totally hooked by #3 (The Greatest Discovery, which he called one of his favorite songs).  If you have a sibling, especially a younger one, pull up the lyrics and listen to the song.  I can passibly play it on piano and was || close to doing so at my younger brother's wedding, but chickened out.  I'd pick that as my favorite.  #4 on the album is Tonight, which is a sad but beautiful song about an argument between lovers.  Get off my lawn and all, but they don't write lyrics like this any more.  That's my second favorite.  :cheers:

cool, I'll have to check it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many good ones. It’s like asking me which Yankee World Series is my favorite.  AKA, his body of work is unlike anyone else’s. He’s not my favorite artist, but he’s In the running for the best. All his stuff from the beginning until now is standing the test of time. Hard choice between him and Elvis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In my opinion, Elton John is the greatest artist of all time.  I would listen to any of his songs at any time over another.  I'm currently listening to the "The One" album as I type.  I'll move on to Made in England next.

If you're going to say that, then you really need to give 80% of the credit to Bernie brillstein.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just changed my mind, "Candle in the Wind" is my all time #1 of his.

I'm watching "Classic Albums : Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and neither Elton or Bernie can remember writing "Candle". 😲

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Russia With Elton is on Pluto TV right now on "Live Music Replay" Channel 905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

If you're going to say that, then you really need to give 80% of the credit to Bernie brillstein.

Bernie was the lyricist, but Elton was the musician and performer.  I give Bernie proper credit, but 80% is too much.  At best, it's 50/50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked at a record store back in college.  The store would play new releases and when it was time to retire the CD employees could put their name in a hat to see who would get it. 

One of the CDs I ended up getting was "Two Rooms" which was a compilation of covers celebrating Elton John and Bernie Taupin.  My favorite from the album was probably Kate Bush doing "Rocket Man". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×