Sign in to follow this  
TBayXXXVII

NFL Trade Rumors

If the Browns trade away Beckham, I’m going to buy more into Hunts stock, he’s a great player in the passing game. 

I realize this thread was started for an OBJ trade rumor, but now that that report has had cold water thrown on it (Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com), why not just make this an all pre-draft rumors thread? Here is the latest one. I take it with a grain of salt, considering the source, but rumors are fun:

Tight end O.J. Howard, the team’s first-round pick out of Alabama in the 2017 NFL Draft, reportedly is available via trade, according to former NFL executive Michael Lombardi, now of The Athletic.

“I think Howard’s got a great name, but I think there’s an instinctive issue going on. I think he’s going to be available,” Lombardi said on his podcast, The GM Shuffle

5 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

Do not want. We just got rid of one headcase diva WR, no reason to bring in another.

Understandable.  I remember a number of years ago when people were asking... 'would you rather have Beckham or Evans', and I was steadfast in my stance on Evans because I think we all knew after their rookie seasons, Beckham was a head case.  Evans will likely play 10+ seasons in Tampa while over that same span, Beckham will probably play for 4 or more teams.

5 hours ago, jrokh said:

I realize this thread was started for an OBJ trade rumor, but now that that report has had cold water thrown on it (Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com), why not just make this an all pre-draft rumors thread? Here is the latest one. I take it with a grain of salt, considering the source, but rumors are fun:

Tight end O.J. Howard, the team’s first-round pick out of Alabama in the 2017 NFL Draft, reportedly is available via trade, according to former NFL executive Michael Lombardi, now of The Athletic.

“I think Howard’s got a great name, but I think there’s an instinctive issue going on. I think he’s going to be available,” Lombardi said on his podcast, The GM Shuffle

Good call.

The last couple years there's been rumors about Howard getting traded.  Howard hasn't lived up to expectations in his time in Tampa, and while it's not all on him, he's definitely the bigger part of the problem.  Word surrounds that he's not giving the proper dedication and time into developing his game.  I'd be ecstatic to get a 3rd rounder for him.  His attribute right now is his pass blocking, not route running or pass catching.

Yeah no need to bring in a productive wr. 

The CDC and the WHO are recommending that everyone buy an OBJ jersey, because the evidence suggests that you won't catch anything while wearing one.

• Haha 1

Coach Arians, it's Coach Belichick on the line for you....

ICEMAN

On 4/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, Vikings4ever said:

Do not want. We just got rid of one headcase diva WR, no reason to bring in another.

Seriously, he needs to prove himself all over again. Oh, and grow up.

On 4/16/2020 at 11:25 AM, jrokh said:

I know Howard has been kind of up and down with injuries, but I don't know why the Bucs would want to trade him. He's got tremendous talent, and we know how much Tom Brady likes to have a good TE. Seems like he would be a perfect fit for them now.

I would agree, Howard would have a Qb that we’ll feed him, shame on the Bucs if they indeed trade him.  

15 hours ago, polecatt said:

I know Howard has been kind of up and down with injuries, but I don't know why the Bucs would want to trade him. He's got tremendous talent, and we know how much Tom Brady likes to have a good TE. Seems like he would be a perfect fit for them now.

Two reasons, one, he's slow in picking up the NFL game.  He doesn't put the time in to fully understand or grasp the offense (either one... Koetter's or Arians').  Plus, by local accounts, he's pretty lazy during practice.  The other is that the Bucs don't need him.  They have 2 great WR's and a solid TE (Brate).  What they need is to address the OLine and backfield.  While Howard has been a help with blocking, his being kept in to block limits the teams' offensive play calling and game planning.

From a fantasy perspective, these two reasons are also why he's been underwhelming over the 3 years he's been in the league.  It's why people will continue to over draft him and be disappointed with his production.  Unless Howard makes football the priority of his life and dedicate himself to the game, he'll always be the guy that you say "How'd he never blow up... he's so talented".

56 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Two reasons, one, he's slow in picking up the NFL game.  He doesn't put the time in to fully understand or grasp the offense (either one... Koetter's or Arians').  Plus, by local accounts, he's pretty lazy during practice.  The other is that the Bucs don't need him.  They have 2 great WR's and a solid TE (Brate).  What they need is to address the OLine and backfield.  While Howard has been a help with blocking, his being kept in to block limits the teams' offensive play calling and game planning.

From a fantasy perspective, these two reasons are also why he's been underwhelming over the 3 years he's been in the league.  It's why people will continue to over draft him and be disappointed with his production.  Unless Howard makes football the priority of his life and dedicate himself to the game, he'll always be the guy that you say "How'd he never blow up... he's so talented".

Thanks for the insight. So he's basically one of the guys who tries to get by on his talent and nothing else. That doesn't usually pan out.

If he's lazy in practice and preparation, that won't fly with Brady

38 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Thanks for the insight. So he's basically one of the guys who tries to get by on his talent and nothing else. That doesn't usually pan out.

If he's lazy in practice and preparation, that won't fly with Brady

Agreed... and I think the Bucs' management and staff know that as well.  Why else would they be inclined to trade a talented player at a position their your QB is known to be able to target and favors, for most of his career?

They shouldn’t trade him.