Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Sports card market is on fire.

Sets are not my thing, but lots of people like complete sets or buying/trading to complete their sets.  
I’ve sold some singles to those guys but the time and effort isn’t worth it unless they’re buying a bunch. 

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

Are you talking about 89 upper deck not 91

Yup, you're right.

i know you've given me some advice in the past. would now be a decent time to pick a current young NBA player or two and buy a nice graded card? Are the values too high now or do you really think they will go up when games start up again?

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

i know you've given me some advice in the past. would now be a decent time to pick a current young NBA player or two and buy a nice graded card? Are the values too high now or do you really think they will go up when games start up again?

Seller’s market right now.  Especially for current rookies.  

Most rookies don’t turn into the superstars that people hope for.  

My strategy for all current rookies is to buy when I see value then sell at playoffs.   No playoffs yet this year so I’m unloading now while it’s hot    Sometimes I sell when they have a big game or a good week   

After the sell off I always keep 1 each of their flagship rookie cards and give it to my sons to stash.  

I’ve sold most already but I’m getting ready to unload my Zion’s and Ja’s now   Price is too good to pass up   

22 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Ok. Here’s my tip of the day:

If you have any old Michael Jordan cards laying around that you’ve been told are worthless, run, don’t walk to eBay and post them for auction now.   You might be presently surprised at what happens.  

I bought a bunch of unopened ‘90 Fleer Bulls team packs at an estate sale 2 months ago at .50/pack.   Gave my sons each a pack to stash and listed the rest yesterday   

1 day ebay auction just closed at $10.75/pack.  Sold them all.  

I bought more cheap Jordan stuff from the same estate and have been sorting and listing it this weekend.  

On the flip side, I’m pretty sure I got scammed by a guy selling mlb silver packs on FB last night.  I always use PayPal G&S so I’ll get my money back.  Anyway.  Be careful buying and selling this stuff.  There are loads of scumbags out there.  

On 4/18/2020 at 6:56 AM, bandrus1 said:

On top of that people are home and have nothing to do. Box prices have gone through roof

If baseball card prices (packs, not individual cards) were remotely close to what they were when I started collecting as a kid, I would definitely buy a few boxes for fun. They ruined the hobby for people who don't want to treat it as an investment in the 90s.

41 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

If baseball card prices (packs, not individual cards) were remotely close to what they were when I started collecting as a kid, I would definitely buy a few boxes for fun. They ruined the hobby for people who don't want to treat it as an investment in the 90s.

Buy Topps Opening Day hobby boxes.  

Not too expensive. Usually under $40.  You’ll get at least one auto or relic in each box plus you might pull the Louis Robert that everyone is chasing right now. 

Pretty much all of my product is gone. All I have left are a few Force of Will sealed boxes and some random binders with cards in them. It's as easy as it's ever been to liquidate cards, but can still take a long time.

I'm putting the cash generated in the stock market where I can lose it all over night.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Seller’s market right now.  Especially for current rookies.  

Most rookies don’t turn into the superstars that people hope for.  

My strategy for all current rookies is to buy when I see value then sell at playoffs.   No playoffs yet this year so I’m unloading now while it’s hot    Sometimes I sell when they have a big game or a good week   

After the sell off I always keep 1 each of their flagship rookie cards and give it to my sons to stash.  

I’ve sold most already but I’m getting ready to unload my Zion’s and Ja’s now   Price is too good to pass up   

it would be nice if they turned into superstars but really what I would be after is a profit which I would assume could happen simply by PLAYER X making the all star team, winning an award, being integral in a playoff run, simply having a good month or two... etc. Don't need to be the next Giannis. 

12 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

it would be nice if they turned into superstars but really what I would be after is a profit which I would assume could happen simply by PLAYER X making the all star team, winning an award, being integral in a playoff run, simply having a good month or two... etc. Don't need to be the next Giannis. 

Always a possibility but there’s lots of speculation already built into some rookie basketball card prices right now.  Especially since those who’ve shown promise.   IMO, that makes profits elusive unless you’re on them early.  

I went overboard early this seasons on Coby White   I was impressed with him during the final 4 last year and I live near Chicago, so breaking even for Chicago players isn’t hard.  I knew the Bulls would suck and he wasn’t getting much time but his cards were cheap so I loaded up.  Then he went on a tear and his prices shot up just before the postponement.

He’s hot again now so I sold them off last week.  Made 10x what I paid early in the season.  Still waiting for Carsen Edwards and Bol Bol to show something. I’ve got a lot of them too. 

I’ll do the same with a handful of rookies next year.  

Shaq rookie with anything?

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Shaq rookie with anything?

Depends which one but they are shooting up now too. 

22 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Always a possibility but there’s lots of speculation already built into some rookie basketball card prices right now.  Especially since those who’ve shown promise.   IMO, that makes profits elusive unless you’re on them early.  

I went overboard early this seasons on Coby White   I was impressed with him during the final 4 last year and I live near Chicago, so breaking even for Chicago players isn’t hard.  I knew the Bulls would suck and he wasn’t getting much time but his cards were cheap so I loaded up.  Then he went on a tear and his prices shot up just before the postponement.

He’s hot again now so I sold them off last week.  Made 10x what I paid early in the season.  Still waiting for Carsen Edwards and Bol Bol to show something. I’ve got a lot of them too. 

I’ll do the same with a handful of rookies next year.  

yeah thats a great idea, obviously. Have to use sports knowledge to pick some under the radar rookies before anything at all happens.

Getting my cards out of storage today. Should give me plenty to do during this down time. 

• Like 1

I loaded up on Phil Plantier and Carlos Baerga back in the day. My other investments included tons of Chuck Knoblauch and Chipper Jones rookies. It all started back in 1988 with Greg Jefferies Donruss Rated Rookie craze for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Leo said:

I loaded up on Phil Plantier and Carlos Baerga back in the day. My other investments included tons of Chuck Knoblauch and Chipper Jones rookies. It all started back in 1988 with Greg Jefferies Donruss Rated Rookie craze for me.

Have chipper Jones desert Storm? I'll buy

• Like 1

If you guys find any current 2019-19 or 2019-20 basketball packs or boxes at your local Walmarts, Targets or Meijers, I will buy them all from you for a 25% markup over what you paid and I'll also pay shipping costs.  This is a serious offer and it stands until this post is taken down.  

Specifically,  I want Panini NBA Hoops, Panini Prizm, Panini Optic and Panini Select basketball packs and boxes from years 2018-19 and 2019-20.  

If you live in a rural or semi-rural area, chances are they'll have some.  Send me a PM if you find some.  Thanks.

30 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

If you guys find any current 2019-19 or 2019-20 basketball packs or boxes at your local Walmarts, Targets or Meijers, I will buy them all from you for a 25% markup over what you paid and I'll also pay shipping costs.  This is a serious offer and it stands until this post is taken down.  

Specifically,  I want Panini NBA Hoops, Panini Prizm, Panini Optic and Panini Select basketball packs and boxes from years 2018-19 and 2019-20.  

If you live in a rural or semi-rural area, chances are they'll have some.  Send me a PM if you find some.  Thanks.

Who are you or people looking for in them?

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

Who are you or people looking for in them?

This year's rookie class.  Zion, Ja, Coby, and a few others.  Plus Lebron's cards from this year are hot now for some reason.  I bought Lebron Prizm and Optic base and color at $1-$7 each back in Dec and Jan.  

I listed them yesterday and woke up to see them all sold this morning.  Got $100 for the cracked ice, $45 for the My Houses and $20 for the bases.  

But mostly, breakers, and flippers are dying for new boxes to rip open right now.  

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

Huh? Can’t you just get them at the store like normal? Is there some kind of shortage? I’d imagine target and such have them like usual. Current set cards are even selling, not just old ones?

3 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Huh? Can’t you just get them at the store like normal? Is there some kind of shortage? I’d imagine target and such have them like usual. Current set cards are even selling, not just old ones?

Basketball cards have been sold out in retail stores around the country for the entire year.  I have yet to see any prizm or optic in the stores.  They are snatched up before they ever hit the shelves.  The only real shot of finding them in retail stores is to be there right as the rep pulls up to restock.   Even then, you might not get them.  The only places that really have any right now are in rural areas.  If you find some of what I listed, buy them and contact me.  I'll buy them.  

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Basketball cards have been sold out in retail stores around the country for the entire year.  I have yet to see any prizm or optic in the stores.  They are snatched up before they ever hit the shelves.  The only real shot of finding them in retail stores is to be there right as the rep pulls up to restock.   Even then, you might not get them.  The only places that really have any right now are in rural areas.  If you find some of what I listed, buy them and contact me.  I'll buy them.  

Jesus I had no idea it was that serious of a situation. I checked target online and saw not sold in stores. Wild.

2 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Will the same mad rush happen for football cards this year too like it is for basketball?

Yes, most likely.  The last football release was Prizm draft, which can be pretty popular and it is right now.  The problem with draft releases is that the cards show players in their college uniforms.  As soon as the first pro series is releases, draft prices tank.

This year is different though.  Nobody knows when the next release of any sport will be since they're all shut down. 

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Yes, most likely.  The last football release was Prizm draft, which can be pretty popular and it is right now.  The problem with draft releases is that the cards show players in their college uniforms.  As soon as the first pro series is releases, draft prices tank.

This year is different though.  Nobody knows when the next release of any sport will be since they're all shut down. 

Does panini have the monopoly on the nfl cards like they do with nba? I’m seeing this stuff and thinking about jumping in but have to do some research where to start, what to look for etc. 

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

Ok I’m seeing on Beckett the next football set with a release date is the Panini legacy set. https://www.beckett.com/news/2020-football-cards-release-dates-checklists/

That might be correct.  My supplier site says the same thing, but the hobby boxes are already sold out at wholesale.  There will probably be some retail boxes that hit the shelves if you can find them.  

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

That might be correct.  My supplier site says the same thing, but the hobby boxes are already sold out at wholesale.  There will probably be some retail boxes that hit the shelves if you can find them.  

I see Blowoutcards has the legacy hobby boxes for 100 presale in stock. Just a quick search elsewhere seems to show that’s about the lowest presale price I can see. I ordered one just for the hell of it. No idea if it will charge me when it ships or right away. I’m just getting fomo!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

I see Blowoutcards has the legacy hobby boxes for 100 presale in stock. Just a quick search elsewhere seems to show that’s about the lowest presale price I can see. I ordered one just for the hell of it. No idea if it will charge me when it ships or right away. I’m just getting fomo!

It will probably be worth more than that once it's released.  

Those hobby boxes opened up at $65/box wholesale, then quickly went to $80 wholesale.  

Does yours say hobby box, blaster box or mega box?

14 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

It will probably be worth more than that once it's released.  

Those hobby boxes opened up at $65/box wholesale, then quickly went to $80 wholesale.  

Does yours say hobby box, blaster box or mega box?

Hobby box

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Checked in my bumfuck wall-mart and there lied an empty box of NBA Prisms.  

• Like 1

I think it is collectibles in general.  My sales are almost 3x what they were last April.  Of course the only place I can go now is on the boat so I have dove my ass off this month and found a lot.   I would trade it for things to be normal though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

I think it is collectibles in general.  My sales are almost 3x what they were last April.  Of course the only place I can go now is on the boat so I have dove my ass off this month and found a lot.   I would trade it for things to be normal though. 

Bill, if you were to or have your 6 pack license could you charter people out on pay for dives?

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Bill, if you were to or have your 6 pack license could you charter people out on pay for dives?

I could but probably would not.  I work too hard to find good spots.  The funny thing is I actually started working on the 6 pack last week.  An online course.  Something I always wanted to do and someday I might want to do charters.  Also there are some charters I go on in NC and while I am there if I want to add days they are often full.  I could get on as an extra crew member and go out even if the boat was full. 

Mostly it is just something I wanted to do and with this stay at home thing it was a good time to start it.  I have two MS degrees, my SCUBA Instructor Cert and a ton of IT Certs so I know how to study and get through tests so I think it will go well. 

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for panini mosaic Prizm basketball.  It’s apparently hitting some stores today.  

If you find some, buy it all and I’ll pay your cost plus 25% and shipping.  

Let me know

3 hours ago, Bill E. said:

Interesting.  This whole thing has me thinking about funkos, bobble heads, classic toys and more. N

4 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I could but probably would not.  I work too hard to find good spots.  The funny thing is I actually started working on the 6 pack last week.  An online course.  Something I always wanted to do and someday I might want to do charters.  Also there are some charters I go on in NC and while I am there if I want to add days they are often full.  I could get on as an extra crew member and go out even if the boat was full. 

Mostly it is just something I wanted to do and with this stay at home thing it was a good time to start it.  I have two MS degrees, my SCUBA Instructor Cert and a ton of IT Certs so I know how to study and get through tests so I think it will go well. 

I have my six pack. The course is very informative

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

I have my six pack. The course is very informative

It really is.  I look at things on the water differently now.  Doing SeaSchool online so it is a little different probably from being in class. 

8 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Interesting.  This whole thing has me thinking about funkos, bobble heads, classic toys and more. N

I do not know anything about those things but the collectible market is interesting.  You do not want get caught with a bunch when the market declines.  I have a friend that owned a toy store during the beanie baby thing.  He would tell me how people would follow the UPS truck around the city trying to figure out who was getting a devilry.  He said the UPS driver would come in and he would have to lock the store up so he could unpack.  It was like Walmart on toilet paper day.  Then later these people would beg him to buy them back at 1/4 the price they paid.  My aunt was renting an apartment to a guy who just stored his collection there.  He told her his collection was worth more than 100k.  That worked out like you would expect.