Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Sports card market is on fire.

9 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Print run on the Ermsy Trout was less than 3000.  There will never be more of that card made.   Currently selling at just under $500.

The print run of the card it’s based on is estimated to be over 30K.  Those are currently selling for upwards of $600-$700 raw. 

What do you think?  Buy it now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Project-2020-Ichiro-Suzuki-Mike-Trout-Dwight-Gooden-Ermsy/124184194663?hash=item1ce9f46e67:g:zP0AAOSwlFdeuhAf

Junk wax has seen a resurgence since March. 

If you have rookies from the 80’s and 90’s that you thought were worthless, pull them out and consider having them graded.  

10’s of McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Gwynn, Griffey, and others are selling well.  Some of them have seen a 4X jump in 2 months. 

Basketball and Football Rookies from the same era are also selling. 

Check eBay SOLD listings to find current value. 

12 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Junk wax has seen a resurgence since March. 

If you have rookies from the 80’s and 90’s that you thought were worthless, pull them out and consider having them graded.  

10’s of McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Gwynn, Griffey, and others are selling well.  Some of them have seen a 4X jump in 2 months. 

Basketball and Football Rookies from the same era are also selling. 

Check eBay SOLD listings to find current value. 

I keep forgetting to look at the card section when I'm at Walmart and Target.  I'm sure the Baltimore area is all over this stuff, but could you summarize again the sets you're interested in?  

9 hours ago, Mookz said:

I keep forgetting to look at the card section when I'm at Walmart and Target.  I'm sure the Baltimore area is all over this stuff, but could you summarize again the sets you're interested in?  

All basketball from 2018-19 and 2019-20. 

Panini is the brand and the series names are Prizm, Select, Mosaic and NBA Hoops.  

Hey vuduchile. You think this is the beginning of a card resurgence? Or are people just killing time with nothing else open/going on.

Something else I was wondering since you're the guy in the know. When the hobby crashed back in the day. We had several different companies making cards, and over saturation ran a muck. For now a days, i read the 4 major sports have only had 1 company each licensed to make the cards. But it seems that 1 company makes a whole lot of different sets. Or even if it's just 1 set, it can have 4 different borders, regular cardboard, chrome, ect. So the same card can have a whole sh1t ton of version's. Is it still as over saturated as it was when the hobby crashed? (Just with 1 company, instead of multiple brands). Or is it actually under control because there's only 1 brand.

Thanks, for your answer. I just always wondered if things have gotten better as time has passed.

4 hours ago, Kopy said:

Hey vuduchile. You think this is the beginning of a card resurgence? Or are people just killing time with nothing else open/going on.

Something else I was wondering since you're the guy in the know. When the hobby crashed back in the day. We had several different companies making cards, and over saturation ran a muck. For now a days, i read the 4 major sports have only had 1 company each licensed to make the cards. But it seems that 1 company makes a whole lot of different sets. Or even if it's just 1 set, it can have 4 different borders, regular cardboard, chrome, ect. So the same card can have a whole sh1t ton of version's. Is it still as over saturated as it was when the hobby crashed? (Just with 1 company, instead of multiple brands). Or is it actually under control because there's only 1 brand.

Thanks, for your answer. I just always wondered if things have gotten better as time has passed.

I haven’t been in it long enough to be an expert, but I do have opinions.  bandrus could probably give some insight too.  It was his comment on my side hustle thread that prompted me to look into this seriously.  

The current player market has been hot for the past year.  The only overall dip was the 2 week period immediately after the COVID shut down.    Zion has been driving a lot of that, but he’s not the only one.

I was not a collector during the junk wax days.  But I’m aware of the crash. There’s no shortage of that stuff still out there, but prices are surging.   Part of that is nostalgia, part is people chasing pristine cards to grade and part is hype and foolishness.  

For example , the upcoming Sosa and McGwire doc is driving their prices up.  That’s not sustainable.   Sosa has no chance at the HOF and McGwire is still a long shot.  

Print runs on certain sets seem really high, but some of those numbers are a mystery.  Lots of people will eventually get burned speculating on rookie and prospect base cards.  It’s best to get in and out of those during the season.  

It’s reasonable to expect things to cool off or even for the bubble to burst.    But if COVID didn’t kill it, what will?   I say ride ‘er ‘til she bucks ya.   

2020 Project remains the craziest thing going right now.  

Card # 1 Ichiro by Ben Baller is over $600.  Original price was $17.50  at the end of March.  Where else are people finding a 35X returns in a month and a half?

A safer way to go is to buy graded Mantle, Mays, Aaron etc.   But those are all long term plays.  

I think prices are bound to come down at some point. 

Just think in your head that a 2011 mike trout rookie.. This is a base care. Not and insert. Not a limited print. Not numbered. A base card like any other common in the set is selling for $3200 right now and a Becket 10 was just listed for $6900. That is not realistic long term. That said a lot of people my age (36) are jumping back into the hobby from when they were kids and they want the cards they had as kids so hard to get 90's stuff has gone nuts. Griffey specifically has gone crazy.

Generally though this is a sellers market not a buyers and I think there is a lot of shill bidding on ebay going on manipulating prices and demand  

Project 2020 update:  Card #1 Ichiro by Ben Baller has surged.  It's now the highest valued card in the set.  Original price - $17.50.  Current Price - $650 +

I was not in on this set early enough.  I bought my first cards on April 30, about a month after they launched. 

My actual numbers to date:

I've purchased 116 base cards and 2 artist auto cards.  I haven't sold any yet. 

Total Cost - $6180.

Total current value - $10,308.00.

So far, only 4 cards have dropped in value from the price I paid.

I should have doubled down on every single one of them.  

Just saw target has 2020 Bowman in stock

If you have time and wanna make money instantly go look

Buy now ask questions after

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, vuduchile said:

Project 2020 update:  Card #1 Ichiro by Ben Baller has surged.  It's now the highest valued card in the set.  Original price - $17.50.  Current Price - $650 +

I was not in on this set early enough.  I bought my first cards on April 30, about a month after they launched. 

My actual numbers to date:

I've purchased 116 base cards and 2 artist auto cards.  I haven't sold any yet. 

Total Cost - $6180.

Total current value - $10,308.00.

So far, only 4 cards have dropped in value from the price I paid.

I should have doubled down on every single one of them.  

Update:   Jeter, Rivera and Gwynn cards doubled overnight last night.  

Then tonight:  

Gary V. tweeted one of the artists - Tyson Beck.  

Gary V has a history with cards and pretty much everything he pumps turns to gold.   He’s some sort of influencer with over a million followers who hang on his every word and buy anything he pumps. 

Anyway.  All Tyson Beck cards are now off and running.   

I’m not going to attempt to explain or justify the hype because I can’t.

I’m just saying it’s here and about to get much bigger.  

Until it eventually crashes.   

Also. ESPN article featuring Blake Jamieson’s McGwire card breaks tomorrow.   

Here's the ESPN article about the Project 2020 cards:  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29197170/when-baseball-cards-become-pop-art-topps-2020-project?fbclid=IwAR2wxdag-HtCw4Ky68r5A4J7kUIDHKvbA9a87ZJW8gM11IQfv70HGGt4G3U

Current value of my cards from this set is now $13.876.00  

Purchase Price $7384.00

The set is at card # 82 out of 400.  Yesterday's McGwire and Jeters will likely be the most popular 2 card bundle released so far.  

On 5/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, bandrus1 said:

I collected cards in the 80s and 90s. Yesterday I was at Target and thought I would check the card section. I am looking at what they have and this guy cuts in front of me. He is on his cell phone and grabs a opened box of the 2020 Bowmans. He is telling the guy on the phone and he asked him how much they were...he took the remaining packs and left. I also then went to Walmart and noticed a lot of cards are gone.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hand said:

I collected cards in the 80s and 90s. Yesterday I was at Target and thought I would check the card section. I am looking at what they have and this guy cuts in front of me. He is on his cell phone and grabs a opened box of the 2020 Bowmans. He is telling the guy on the phone and he asked him how much they were...he took the remaining packs and left. I also then went to Walmart and noticed a lot of cards are gone.

If you see those new Bowmans again, buy and resell them quickly.  They're very hot right now. 

On 5/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, bandrus1 said:

6 hours ago, Mr. Hand said:

Got the email from Topps telling me that Bowman was available.  Went there immediately, had 6 boxes in my cart, hit checkout and the site spun out on me.  Now says out of stock. Damn. 

On 5/19/2020 at 10:48 PM, vuduchile said:

Update:   Jeter, Rivera and Gwynn cards doubled overnight last night.  

Then tonight:  

Gary V. tweeted one of the artists - Tyson Beck.  

Gary V has a history with cards and pretty much everything he pumps turns to gold.   He’s some sort of influencer with over a million followers who hang on his every word and buy anything he pumps. 

Anyway.  All Tyson Beck cards are now off and running.   

I’m not going to attempt to explain or justify the hype because I can’t.

I’m just saying it’s here and about to get much bigger.  

Until it eventually crashes.   

Also. ESPN article featuring Blake Jamieson’s McGwire card breaks tomorrow.   

I can’t even update my spread sheet fast enough to keep track of these now. 

Several have doubled or tripled in price in the past day or two. 

The Bob Gibson by Keith Shore is now at just under $500

The Ermsy Trout is approaching a grand and the Ben Baller Ichiro has already passed that mark.  

Current value of my cards is just under twenty grand right now.  

It’s gonna be a booze filled weekend with many Fear Of Missing Out purchases.  

Will check in again on Monday.  

Happy Memorial Day geeks!

3 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Remember pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered

I take it you haven’t bought any Project 2020 cards?

5 hours ago, vuduchile said:

I take it you haven’t bought any Project 2020 cards?

I don't think you understand the saying

I'm saying take the profit and be happy

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

I don't think you understand the saying

I'm saying take the profit and be happy

I understood.  But I won’t start selling any until card 100 is out.  That’s been my target all along.  

On 5/23/2020 at 7:58 AM, vuduchile said:

I understood.  But I won’t start selling any until card 100 is out.  That’s been my target all along.  

I'm sorry

43 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I'm sorry

Don’t be.  I’m still up over 100% on my initial investment.  Still holding, especially Ermsy Trout which is climbing back up again. 

Check my post on May 18 where I said that card was approaching a grand.  It’s back over that now at $1250 per. 

The Bob Gibson was approaching $500 at that time is still holding at over $300.  I got them at under $20 each.   

Hey guys.

How's the retro market doing these day's? Has that seen any increase during the new boom?

Stuff like Rickey Henderson or Joe Montana rookie cards. 60's, 70's early 80's type stuff. Or is it just the new stuff all the time.

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Hey guys.

How's the retro market doing these day's? Has that seen any increase during the new boom?

Stuff like Rickey Henderson or Joe Montana rookie cards. 60's, 70's early 80's type stuff. Or is it just the new stuff all the time.

They have bumped up also especially if graded

2 hours ago, Kopy said:

Hey guys.

Henderson’s Topps rookie card is highly sought after in good condition.   10’s are rare.   If you have one of those, consider contacting an auction house.  

Griffey, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Thomas and Bo Jackson rookies are hot right now.  

I busted a bunch of 80’s-90’s sealed boxes and sent the best of those players to be graded.   The rest, I sold off raw.  

Did the same with Jordan’s.  Most of these 80’s-90’s cards are way off center, so getting 9 or 10 is tough    

Also keeping an eye on Randy Johnson, Smoltz, Glavine, Maddox, Walker, Canseco, Clemens and Schilling.    Some of those might be worth grading, but pitchers don’t bring as much value.  

9 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Unreal what these Zion Williamson cards are going for.  It's truly insane.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=zion+williamson+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_sop=16

I finally got my hands on some Bowman 1st edition and pulled a really sharp Jasson Dominguez.  Sending it off to be graded.  

Thats a nice card to just have. Being a yankee fan I was really excited for Bowman this year but it is so overpriced and people just reselling retail boxes like crazy after following vendors I have just completely passed all together. Not fun and simply dont care enough

Just now, bandrus1 said:

Thats a nice card to just have. Being a yankee fan I was really excited for Bowman this year but it is so overpriced and people just reselling retail boxes like crazy after following vendors I have just completely passed all together. Not fun and simply dont care enough

Yep.  Everything is over-priced across the board.  I managed to get the Bowman from my wholesale supplier at a decent cost.  I ripped 2 packs, got the Jasson and put the rest away for re-sale later. 

Panini is selling boxes of NBA Choice Mosaic on their site today at $800/box.  That box contains one pack of cards.  The pack contains 8 cards. The National Treasures boxes recently went for $15K per box.  That's big time gambling with really sh!tty odds.   There might be 3-5 cards from NT that would return that kind of cash. 

The whole supply chain for these cards is broken beyond repair.  Both Topps and Panini will need to fix these issues with the retail stocking companies.  Their reps are making back alley deals with flippers and even local card shops to buy everything before it ever hits the shelves. 

Even actual wholesale suppliers are crooked..

My wholesaler sells Topps and Panini products pre-sell and I order months in advance, but the rep always says the good stuff is subject to allocation. Sometimes I get it, sometimes not. 

I've tried to buy cases or half cases at at time and have been told our company is too new to get allocated.  Then a few months later, the rep calls me up with his weekly solicitations, telling me he got a case of that same product in trying to sell it to me for 3-5X the original pre-sale price.  

It's all kinds of focked up right now.  

Just listed some 90-91 NBA hoops

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Adults took all the fun out of collecting cards.

The fun is still there for kids. I give each of my little leaguers a pack of baseball cards at the end of every season. They still have a blast opening them and seeing who they get. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

The fun is still there for kids. I give each of my little leaguers a pack of baseball cards at the end of every season. They still have a blast opening them and seeing who they get. 

We started practice this past week and I use a points system for each practice.   Kids earn or lose points during each drill.  The kid with the most points at the end of the practice wins a card from his favorite team.  

Project 2020 cards rising in price again, especially the first 1-60 cards. Taking some more profits now and narrowing collection to a Mike Trout set and 3 artist sets.  The key card is still the Ermsy Trout.  It's back up over $800 per, and I'm still holding. 

Sealed wax continues to fly.  Topps series 1 hobby boxes were $60 on release in Feb.  Same boxes are going for $119 now.  I have 3 cases.  Doubling my money is a no-brainer.  Selling now.

Topps Gypsy Queen sealed boxes are returning 40% margin since March.   Selling 

Baskeball sealed wax continues to fly.  I'm still hoarding because the prices are insane.  They will only get crazier once the league re-starts.  Timing is everything here.  If the league doesn't actually start, or if it get shut down, this stuff will drop.  But the longer the season goes, the more value these will gain.  I'll  probably sell 1/3 of my inventory  just before the first game, another 3rd as soon as Zion does something worthwhile and hold the final 1/3, hoping the league makes it to the playoffs.  

Love him, hate him or don't care, Gary Vee has a huge impact on the card market.  In the last month he's been high on vintage basketball, pokemon and wrestling cards.  If you have any of that, dig it out and see what they're going for on ebay. 

I've invested in Lew Alcindor, Big O, Wilt, Gervin, Pistol Pete and Dr. J rookies recently.  There's solid long term growth potential for these cards.  The demand for this stuff in China is still through the roof, and you can ship via ebay's international shipping hub and not have to worry about it once they receive it.  That market is huge.  

Graded cards are the name of the game.  SGC is cloing the gap with PSA for resale value.  I've got 6 submissions in there now.  We'll see how it goes.  

Brother just retired from teaching in NC. He’s now retired in SC and NC from teaching. Just started him a little business dealing with sports cards and memorabilia. Used to help my dad out when they ran a card shop back in the 90s. Figured he wanted something to do now that he’s retired and doesn’t have anything to do. Glad to see the market is back up for these things. 

• Like 1

What do you guys think a Pujols 2001 Bowman Chrome Auto BGS 9.5 would fetch on eBay?  Would you sell it there or somewhere else?  Asking for a friend.

On 7/10/2020 at 3:51 PM, Patented Phil said:

What do you guys think a Pujols 2001 Bowman Chrome Auto BGS 9.5 would fetch on eBay?  Would you sell it there or somewhere else?  Asking for a friend.

Do an eBay search for sold listings.  It will show you exactly what you’re looking for. 

Lebron James card sold for $1.8M last week.  

That’s a record for a modern era card. 

For some perspective on just how hot this market is, that same card sold for $46K 4 years ago.  

Big money has been pouring into the market and it looks like more will come.  

Hottest baseball cards right now are:

Acuna, Soto, Devers, Ohtani. 

For those of you who still aren’t paying attention.   

The card market has been even more insane since baseball and basketball started   

Imagine a fantasy waiver wire on acid and that’s what the market for current players is, especially basketball  

If you see 2020 Topps Chrome on the shelves of your local Walmart or Target, buy them all for an easy flip.  But do it fast.