Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Sports card market is on fire.

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Print run on the Ermsy Trout was less than 3000.  There will never be more of that card made.   Currently selling at just under $500.


The print run of the card it’s based on is estimated to be over 30K.  Those are currently selling for upwards of $600-$700 raw. 

What do you think?  Buy it now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Project-2020-Ichiro-Suzuki-Mike-Trout-Dwight-Gooden-Ermsy/124184194663?hash=item1ce9f46e67:g:zP0AAOSwlFdeuhAf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Junk wax has seen a resurgence since March. 
 
If you have rookies from the 80’s and 90’s that you thought were worthless, pull them out and consider having them graded.  
 

10’s of McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Gwynn, Griffey, and others are selling well.  Some of them have seen a 4X jump in 2 months. 
 

Basketball and Football Rookies from the same era are also selling. 
 

 Check eBay SOLD listings to find current value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Junk wax has seen a resurgence since March. 
 
If you have rookies from the 80’s and 90’s that you thought were worthless, pull them out and consider having them graded.  
 

10’s of McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Gwynn, Griffey, and others are selling well.  Some of them have seen a 4X jump in 2 months. 
 

Basketball and Football Rookies from the same era are also selling. 
 

 Check eBay SOLD listings to find current value. 

I keep forgetting to look at the card section when I'm at Walmart and Target.  I'm sure the Baltimore area is all over this stuff, but could you summarize again the sets you're interested in?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mookz said:

I keep forgetting to look at the card section when I'm at Walmart and Target.  I'm sure the Baltimore area is all over this stuff, but could you summarize again the sets you're interested in?  

All basketball from 2018-19 and 2019-20. 
 

Panini is the brand and the series names are Prizm, Select, Mosaic and NBA Hoops.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey vuduchile. You think this is the beginning of a card resurgence? Or are people just killing time with nothing else open/going on.

Something else I was wondering since you're the guy in the know. When the hobby crashed back in the day. We had several different companies making cards, and over saturation ran a muck. For now a days, i read the 4 major sports have only had 1 company each licensed to make the cards. But it seems that 1 company makes a whole lot of different sets. Or even if it's just 1 set, it can have 4 different borders, regular cardboard, chrome, ect. So the same card can have a whole sh1t ton of version's. Is it still as over saturated as it was when the hobby crashed? (Just with 1 company, instead of multiple brands). Or is it actually under control because there's only 1 brand.

Thanks, for your answer. I just always wondered if things have gotten better as time has passed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kopy said:

Hey vuduchile. You think this is the beginning of a card resurgence? Or are people just killing time with nothing else open/going on.

Something else I was wondering since you're the guy in the know. When the hobby crashed back in the day. We had several different companies making cards, and over saturation ran a muck. For now a days, i read the 4 major sports have only had 1 company each licensed to make the cards. But it seems that 1 company makes a whole lot of different sets. Or even if it's just 1 set, it can have 4 different borders, regular cardboard, chrome, ect. So the same card can have a whole sh1t ton of version's. Is it still as over saturated as it was when the hobby crashed? (Just with 1 company, instead of multiple brands). Or is it actually under control because there's only 1 brand.

Thanks, for your answer. I just always wondered if things have gotten better as time has passed.

 

I haven’t been in it long enough to be an expert, but I do have opinions.  bandrus could probably give some insight too.  It was his comment on my side hustle thread that prompted me to look into this seriously.  
 

The current player market has been hot for the past year.  The only overall dip was the 2 week period immediately after the COVID shut down.    Zion has been driving a lot of that, but he’s not the only one.
 

I was not a collector during the junk wax days.  But I’m aware of the crash. There’s no shortage of that stuff still out there, but prices are surging.   Part of that is nostalgia, part is people chasing pristine cards to grade and part is hype and foolishness.  
 

For example , the upcoming Sosa and McGwire doc is driving their prices up.  That’s not sustainable.   Sosa has no chance at the HOF and McGwire is still a long shot.  
 

Print runs on certain sets seem really high, but some of those numbers are a mystery.  Lots of people will eventually get burned speculating on rookie and prospect base cards.  It’s best to get in and out of those during the season.  

It’s reasonable to expect things to cool off or even for the bubble to burst.    But if COVID didn’t kill it, what will?   I say ride ‘er ‘til she bucks ya.   
 

2020 Project remains the craziest thing going right now.  
 

Card # 1 Ichiro by Ben Baller is over $600.  Original price was $17.50  at the end of March.  Where else are people finding a 35X returns in a month and a half?
 

 A safer way to go is to buy graded Mantle, Mays, Aaron etc.   But those are all long term plays.  
 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think prices are bound to come down at some point. 

 

Just think in your head that a 2011 mike trout rookie.. This is a base care. Not and insert. Not a limited print. Not numbered. A base card like any other common in the set is selling for $3200 right now and a Becket 10 was just listed for $6900. That is not realistic long term. That said a lot of people my age (36) are jumping back into the hobby from when they were kids and they want the cards they had as kids so hard to get 90's stuff has gone nuts. Griffey specifically has gone crazy.

 

Generally though this is a sellers market not a buyers and I think there is a lot of shill bidding on ebay going on manipulating prices and demand  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Project 2020 update:  Card #1 Ichiro by Ben Baller has surged.  It's now the highest valued card in the set.  Original price - $17.50.  Current Price - $650 +

I was not in on this set early enough.  I bought my first cards on April 30, about a month after they launched. 

My actual numbers to date:

I've purchased 116 base cards and 2 artist auto cards.  I haven't sold any yet. 

Total Cost - $6180.

Total current value - $10,308.00.

So far, only 4 cards have dropped in value from the price I paid.

I should have doubled down on every single one of them.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw target has 2020 Bowman in stock

 

If you have time and wanna make money instantly go look

 

Buy now ask questions after

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, vuduchile said:

Project 2020 update:  Card #1 Ichiro by Ben Baller has surged.  It's now the highest valued card in the set.  Original price - $17.50.  Current Price - $650 +

I was not in on this set early enough.  I bought my first cards on April 30, about a month after they launched. 

My actual numbers to date:

I've purchased 116 base cards and 2 artist auto cards.  I haven't sold any yet. 

Total Cost - $6180.

Total current value - $10,308.00.

So far, only 4 cards have dropped in value from the price I paid.

I should have doubled down on every single one of them.  

 

Update:   Jeter, Rivera and Gwynn cards doubled overnight last night.  
 

Then tonight:  

Gary V. tweeted one of the artists - Tyson Beck.  
 

Gary V has a history with cards and pretty much everything he pumps turns to gold.   He’s some sort of influencer with over a million followers who hang on his every word and buy anything he pumps. 
 

Anyway.  All Tyson Beck cards are now off and running.   

I’m not going to attempt to explain or justify the hype because I can’t.
 

I’m just saying it’s here and about to get much bigger.  
 

Until it eventually crashes.   
 

Also. ESPN article featuring Blake Jamieson’s McGwire card breaks tomorrow.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the ESPN article about the Project 2020 cards:  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29197170/when-baseball-cards-become-pop-art-topps-2020-project?fbclid=IwAR2wxdag-HtCw4Ky68r5A4J7kUIDHKvbA9a87ZJW8gM11IQfv70HGGt4G3U

Current value of my cards from this set is now $13.876.00  

Purchase Price $7384.00

The set is at card # 82 out of 400.  Yesterday's McGwire and Jeters will likely be the most popular 2 card bundle released so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, bandrus1 said:

Just saw target has 2020 Bowman in stock

 

If you have time and wanna make money instantly go look

 

Buy now ask questions after

I collected cards in the 80s and 90s. Yesterday I was at Target and thought I would check the card section. I am looking at what they have and this guy cuts in front of me. He is on his cell phone and grabs a opened box of the 2020 Bowmans. He is telling the guy on the phone and he asked him how much they were...he took the remaining packs and left. I also then went to Walmart and noticed a lot of cards are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Hand said:

I collected cards in the 80s and 90s. Yesterday I was at Target and thought I would check the card section. I am looking at what they have and this guy cuts in front of me. He is on his cell phone and grabs a opened box of the 2020 Bowmans. He is telling the guy on the phone and he asked him how much they were...he took the remaining packs and left. I also then went to Walmart and noticed a lot of cards are gone.

If you see those new Bowmans again, buy and resell them quickly.  They're very hot right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, bandrus1 said:

Just saw target has 2020 Bowman in stock

 

If you have time and wanna make money instantly go look

 

Buy now ask questions after

 

6 hours ago, Mr. Hand said:

I collected cards in the 80s and 90s. Yesterday I was at Target and thought I would check the card section. I am looking at what they have and this guy cuts in front of me. He is on his cell phone and grabs a opened box of the 2020 Bowmans. He is telling the guy on the phone and he asked him how much they were...he took the remaining packs and left. I also then went to Walmart and noticed a lot of cards are gone.

Got the email from Topps telling me that Bowman was available.  Went there immediately, had 6 boxes in my cart, hit checkout and the site spun out on me.  Now says out of stock. Damn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 10:48 PM, vuduchile said:

Update:   Jeter, Rivera and Gwynn cards doubled overnight last night.  
 

Then tonight:  

Gary V. tweeted one of the artists - Tyson Beck.  
 

Gary V has a history with cards and pretty much everything he pumps turns to gold.   He’s some sort of influencer with over a million followers who hang on his every word and buy anything he pumps. 
 

Anyway.  All Tyson Beck cards are now off and running.   

I’m not going to attempt to explain or justify the hype because I can’t.
 

I’m just saying it’s here and about to get much bigger.  
 

Until it eventually crashes.   
 

Also. ESPN article featuring Blake Jamieson’s McGwire card breaks tomorrow.   

I can’t even update my spread sheet fast enough to keep track of these now. 
 

Several have doubled or tripled in price in the past day or two. 
 

The Bob Gibson by Keith Shore is now at just under $500

The Ermsy Trout is approaching a grand and the Ben Baller Ichiro has already passed that mark.  
 

Current value of my cards is just under twenty grand right now.  

It’s gonna be a booze filled weekend with many Fear Of Missing Out purchases.  
 

Will check in again on Monday.  
 

Happy Memorial Day geeks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Remember pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered

I take it you haven’t bought any Project 2020 cards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vuduchile said:

I take it you haven’t bought any Project 2020 cards?

I don't think you understand the saying

 

I'm saying take the profit and be happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

I don't think you understand the saying

 

I'm saying take the profit and be happy

I understood.  But I won’t start selling any until card 100 is out.  That’s been my target all along.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 7:58 AM, vuduchile said:

I understood.  But I won’t start selling any until card 100 is out.  That’s been my target all along.  

I'm sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I'm sorry

Don’t be.  I’m still up over 100% on my initial investment.  Still holding, especially Ermsy Trout which is climbing back up again. 

 

 Check my post on May 18 where I said that card was approaching a grand.  It’s back over that now at $1250 per. 
 

The Bob Gibson was approaching $500 at that time is still holding at over $300.  I got them at under $20 each.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys.

How's the retro market doing these day's? Has that seen any increase during the new boom?

Stuff like Rickey Henderson or Joe Montana rookie cards. 60's, 70's early 80's type stuff. Or is it just the new stuff all the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Hey guys.

How's the retro market doing these day's? Has that seen any increase during the new boom?

Stuff like Rickey Henderson or Joe Montana rookie cards. 60's, 70's early 80's type stuff. Or is it just the new stuff all the time.

 

They have bumped up also especially if graded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kopy said:

Hey guys.

How's the retro market doing these day's? Has that seen any increase during the new boom?

Stuff like Rickey Henderson or Joe Montana rookie cards. 60's, 70's early 80's type stuff. Or is it just the new stuff all the time.

 

Henderson’s Topps rookie card is highly sought after in good condition.   10’s are rare.   If you have one of those, consider contacting an auction house.  
 

Griffey, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Thomas and Bo Jackson rookies are hot right now.  
 

I busted a bunch of 80’s-90’s sealed boxes and sent the best of those players to be graded.   The rest, I sold off raw.  

Did the same with Jordan’s.  Most of these 80’s-90’s cards are way off center, so getting 9 or 10 is tough    

Also keeping an eye on Randy Johnson, Smoltz, Glavine, Maddox, Walker, Canseco, Clemens and Schilling.    Some of those might be worth grading, but pitchers don’t bring as much value.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×