Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Brandon Aiyuk, 49ers

Height/Weight: 6' 0"/205
College: Arizona State
NFL Comp: A poor man's Anthony Miller

No question about it, the 49ers believe Aiyuk will eventually replace what they wanted to get from the Emmanuel Sanders trade last season. While his 4.5 time may seem pedestrian for an average-sized receiver, his 1.52-second 10-yard split, 40-inch vertical and 10' 8" broad do a better job of displaying how explosive Aiyuk is. To that end, his 10.9 yards after the catch in 2019 ranked sixth among receivers in this draft class, per Pro Football Focus. He's a menace in open space and probably not a receiver many defenses will want to give him a free release off the line of scrimmage. For what it's worth, former longtime NFL receiver TJ Houshmandzadeh worked with Aiyuk this spring and compared him favorably to Chad Johnson.

Unfortunately, for a receiver with his hops and wingspan (80-plus inches), Aiyuk somewhat surprisingly did not win in contested-catch situations all out often during his time in Tempe (3-of-14, per PFF). His route tree was generally limited to in-breaking routes, perhaps in no small part because he wasn't as sharp as he needed to be on out-breaking routes. It is at least a bit disconcerting that in two games against some of the Pac-12 better defenses (Cal and Utah) last season, Aiyuk was limited to a total of three catches for 38 scoreless yards. There is room for growth in Aiyuk's game, but his troubles against physical coverage may require him to see a lot of snaps in the slot to begin his NFL career. 

What does it mean in redraft? Deebo Samuel is the clear lead dog in San Francisco at the moment, but Sanders' departure leaves a gaping hole opposite him. Despite what appears to be a great situation for him, it's unlikely Aiyuk will be any more consistent than Sanders was with Samuel and George Kittle soaking up targets. As a result, he figures to be a WR5 as a rookie.

What does it mean for dynasty? Aiyuk could conceivably overtake Samuel if Houshmandzadeh ends up being right, but the Niners will settle for an eventual upgrade over Sanders. The former Sun Devil figures to be a late first-round pick in most rookie drafts. (Will update again after the draft is completed.)

He played high school ball right here in ol Reno Nevada.  

11 minutes ago, weepaws said:

He played high school ball right here in ol Reno Nevada.  

I once threw to a man in Reno, just to watch him catch...

• Haha 1

Shanahan and crew also wasted a 2nd on Dante Pettis so let’s see ...

looking at the later wr and te selections and the TrentWilliams trade, SF going to continue to try to lead the offense with a strong running game.

I think so, don’t know why they would get away from what worked last season.  

I like the fact that Brienda went to the Dolphins.

helps me feel more comfortable with my ranking of Mostert. 

Mostert will take a step back this year. Regression candidate especially if he loses 1/2 a step at age 28

4 hours ago, DrG said:

Mostert will take a step back this year. Regression candidate especially if he loses 1/2 a step at age 28

Why? Just the half step would be your reason, or is there more to the rest of your story?  

Some one will gain from the lost of Brienda and his work load.  

It wont be Coleman. 

So  why ? 

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

Some one will gain from the lost of Brienda and his work load.

Going into 2019, Jerick McKinnon was the 7th-highest-paid RB in the NFL.

Just sayin'...

Going into 2020 McKinnon hasn’t played one down in a game the last two seasons.  

Not my problem that the Niners over paid for him, it’s their problem  

Im just stating a fact.  

Thanks for everyone reply’s , I appreciate them. 

Aiyuk may be a good player but he's limited on the 49ers. I don't see him taking over Kittle for their top target in the passing game. I guess he could take over Deebo as their top WR, but it's unlikely. In any case, he's going to be limited by their style.

In redraft, he's worth a late flier I guess.

In dynasty, he's a ways down the line, maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder

Anybody getting the feeling that he is getting ready to blow up next week, and carry many teams into the Ship?

With Deebo likely out again with a hammy, and Kittle still likely on the shelf, he gets to feast on the Cowboys. In the last two games without Deebo, he has had 14 and 16 targets, for a couple hundred yards and a TD....and that was against the Saints and Redskins, who aren't pushovers.

I'm almost giddy about starting him next week....so, watch him crash and burn.

Let it be known that I'm highly superstitious, so I'm not going to say that I have him as well, & not saying that I agree with you :)

I'll assume you've already seen the following.

December 13, 2020
Samuel (hamstring) will get an MRI on Monday on the injury he suffered Sunday against Washington, and there are fears that the injury could be season-ending, 

Grew up right here in Reno Nevada , played high school ball at Robert McQueen high. 

A few weeks ago rolled the dice and gave up CEH to get him (and Crowder) in a dynasty/keep 7 league.  Feel pretty good about the move since I have Kamara & Gibson in the same league.

2 hours ago, Bad Mojo said:

I had Josh Jacob's in Flex... He 'joked' about not playing... 

Inserted Aiyuk... 

Win playoff game by 2

That’s great, congrats. 

He has been great.

Yikes.

Just heard that Shanahan will not commit to Nick Mullins this week, and might start CJ Beathard.

That could throw some cold water on my week 15 Aiyuk hype.

3 hours ago, stonewall said:

Yikes.

Just heard that Shanahan will not commit to Nick Mullins this week, and might start CJ Beathard.

That could throw some cold water on my week 15 Aiyuk hype.

Really? Pete's the better Beathard QB than CJ! WHY do coaches do this kinda junk?