Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Chiefs

Just now, polecatt said:

He scatted sideways past like the center and guard, reminded me of a deer

This guy is insanely agile

That’s what I loved at LSU. His lateral agility is special. The short TD run vs Florida is probably my favorite of them all.The run design is up the middle but there’s a LB waiting there to blow it up so he jump cuts all the way outside and scores. It’s hard to explain but it’s truly impressive.

3 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

That’s what I loved at LSU. His lateral agility is special. The short TD run vs Florida is probably my favorite of them all.The run design is up the middle but there’s a LB waiting there to blow it up so he jump cuts all the way outside and scores. It’s hard to explain but it’s truly impressive.

No, I get it totally, that's exactly what he did on that TD run tonight, he just hopped sideways like he was a frog or something

Have to look pretty closely to find anything wrong with his game tonight, because he looked very fluid and comfortable. If anything, he did seem to struggle in short yardage....especially goal line. We'll see if Andy continues to try him out down there in the trenches, or turns to Williams, who has had some success in that capacity in the past.

Reminded me a little of Barry. 

Negative is goal line.  He's not built to pound.  That's not his game.  They may need to try other things for him there or let the other guy drop his head and pound. 

Clyde is special though.  They were right on the broadcast,  he's a difference maker.   And he's only going to get better 

• Like 1

I think the think that could hold him back is our offensive line.  It's good but not great.  Tardiff opted out.  An injury on the ol could really be a concern.  That's what I would worry about it I owned CEH.

5 hours ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Reminded me a little of Barry. 

Negative is goal line.  He's not built to pound.  That's not his game.  They may need to try other things for him there or let the other guy drop his head and pound. 

Clyde is special though.  They were right on the broadcast,  he's a difference maker.   And he's only going to get better 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them spread it out more at the goal line to give CEH more space. Watt was consistently blowing up those goal line power runs. Not overly concerned with lack of goal line success because Watt was making a noticeable difference.

I think CEH did exactly what Reid drafted him to do last night. RB's pass protecting for Mahomes is a waste of resources and is a moot point because Mahomes gets rid of the ball too fast. If you blitz he just chucks it up in a 1 v 1 to T Hill.

I think in this system, CEH is going to be a top 3 RB for the rest of the season....Just like all the RB's before him in Reid's system.

Also, I think they tried the goal line carries to CEH because they were 14 points ahead. Just to see if he could be a goal line back. They're not gonna run it on the GL else they would of put DW in for those plays if they were serious.

He's also going to have to dodge soft tissue injuries with all those jump cuts!

I would look for Houston to hand the ball off more with David J. The game flow was going well for them until they started putting the game in Watson's hands.

JMHO

He reminds me of Darren Sproles.

Very hard to tackle.  Super quick and shifty but lack the power to run between the tackles.  He's not going to have a long career if they give me 15 carries between the tackle every game.  Might not last the season.

27 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

He reminds me of Darren Sproles.

Very hard to tackle.  Super quick and shifty but lack the power to run between the tackles.  He's not going to have a long career if they give me 15 carries between the tackle every game.  Might not last the season.

If he reminds you of Darren Sproles then you clearly didn’t watch the game. CEH was lowering the shoulder and breaking thru arm tackles with ease. That’s not at all a part of Sproles game. Whether he gets hurt playing like that remains to be seen, but I thought he looked nothing like sproles.

11 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

If he reminds you of Darren Sproles then you clearly didn’t watch the game. CEH was lowering the shoulder and breaking thru arm tackles with ease. That’s not at all a part of Sproles game. Whether he gets hurt playing like that remains to be seen, but I thought he looked nothing like sproles.

He looked pretty much like he did at LSU, minus the pass catching. 

16 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

That's not a knock on him.  Being compared to Sproles is pretty darn good.  Sproles is a gifted athlete and a freak.  

1 minute ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

That's not a knock on him.  Being compared to Sproles is pretty darn good.  Sproles is a gifted athlete and a freak.  

Lol but you can’t deny my point. Sproles is great but they’re incredibly different. Sproles is always asked to work in space, I saw CEH going between the tackles mostly. 

in terms of just physique Sproles is considerably smaller at 170lbs. IMO any RB under 5’11” but over 200lbs they’re usually built like tree trunks. Big legs, great balance, and low center of gravity which makes tackling them more difficult. 

Sproles has always been just a gadget player. A great one, but a totally different player.

9 minutes ago, jrokh said:

He looked pretty much like he did at LSU, minus the pass catching. 

Which I’m not concerned about either. He wasn’t even targeted until one of the last few drives. The pass catching will present itself at some point. They were playing with a big lead but had the game script been different I’m sure he would’ve been targeted more.

In 2011, i had Sproles on my fantasy team.  The dude is just awesome.  He was never given much of a chance to carry the load and run between the tackles.   

He didn’t catch a ball.

He was 0 for 7 within the 5 yard line.

He had 25 rushes against the Houston Run D fence that truly sucked as they kept two safeties back almost every down, they dared Kansas City and run the ball all night and that’s what Kansas City did. 

Houston played to stop Mahomes from throwing the long touchdowns and they succeeded in that. 

It was a good game plan.....Except for the fact that I love a shoot out!

CEH reminds me of a first round rb1. 

12 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

I think the think that could hold him back is our offensive line.  It's good but not great.  Tardiff opted out.  An injury on the ol could really be a concern.  That's what I would worry about it I owned CEH.

Stick with the zone blocking, and let him find the hole. 

5 hours ago, justforbeer said:

He didn’t catch a ball.

He was 0 for 7 within the 5 yard line.

He had 25 rushes against the Houston Run D fence that truly sucked as they kept two safeties back almost every down, they dared Kansas City and run the ball all night and that’s what Kansas City did. 

Houston played to stop Mahomes from throwing the long touchdowns and they succeeded in that. 

It was a good game plan.....Except for the fact that I love a shoot out!

I’m a LSU fan and drafted CEH in my long time money league. I do think you are right in what you are saying. 

I do think he will catch the ball more though going forward. 

Will teams rather have Mahomes/Kelce/Hill beat them or focus more on stopping the run? My bet is that they’re going to try and stopping the pass which will give CEH many opportunities. Can’t stack the box. 

Goal line worries me. We’ll see what Reid does. 

19 minutes ago, TheGiantJets said:

Goal line worries me. We’ll see what Reid does

He was obviously determined to get the kid a goal line TD last night....strangely determined. Reid does seem to have gotten man-crushes on RB's at times in his career (Shady in Philly and Hunt, for example), and CEH might just be his boy now. If so, he'll scheme a way to get him in that end zone from in close. He'll be lucky if he doesn't jack around and get him hurt.

I think there is to much being made of it, CEH will be find from the goal line.  

1 hour ago, stonewall said:

He was obviously determined to get the kid a goal line TD last night....strangely determined. Reid does seem to have gotten man-crushes on RB's at times in his career (Shady in Philly and Hunt, for example), and CEH might just be his boy now. If so, he'll scheme a way to get him in that end zone from in close. He'll be lucky if he doesn't jack around and get him hurt.

Keeping him in the game that late was bad coaching. It was over, him and Mahomes shouldn’t have played those last couple drives. Helaire even took some hard hits he didn’t need to take. Let Darrell and the 3rd string handle it when the game is in hand.

34 minutes ago, weepaws said:

CEH will be find from the goal line. 

7 carries for -2 yards in goalline situations, and he'll be fine?

1 hour ago, stonewall said:

I agree. Reid loves his RB’s and is loyal to them. I remember the days of Duce Staley and Westbrook. They aren’t always going to run it at the goal line especially with a great QB and great tight end. Will probably see less goal line packages which usually indicate run. Should open it up more and keep defenses guessing giving CEH more room. 

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

That’s what I typed, he’ll be fine, one games does not a season make.  

The coaching staff will adjust to his strength, and make it even harder for the def to just focus on CEH. 

Don’t they still have Mahomes at Qb?  

Come now chicken little, the sky isn’t falling.  Then again look you I’m typing to, you must still me in shocked that football is being played, weren’t you of those non believers? 

Thanks great reply. 

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Did you watch them? JJ Watt was in his face as soon as he touched the ball. The line was getting beat like it stole something at the goal line. He made a great spin move that would have otherwise got him in only to be slammed to the ground by another defender in the backfield. Their goal line package was horrible. 

14 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Come now chicken little, the sky isn’t falling. 

Depends on what sky you're talking about.

If it's the bright blue sky of the Chiefs' future, then you're right; all will be well.

If it's the darkening sky of Clyde's goalline reps, that one's coming down around our ears.

2 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Did you watch them? JJ Watt was in his face as soon as he touched the ball. The line was getting beat like it stole something at the goal line. He made a great spin move that would have otherwise got him in only to be slammed to the ground by another defender in the backfield. Their goal line package was horrible. 

Clyde's just not built to be a power back.  They tried him out last night when it didn't matter, but when it does matter, someone else will fill that role.

36 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Depends on what sky you're talking about.

If it's the bright blue sky of the Chiefs' future, then you're right; all will be well.

If it's the darkening sky of Clyde's goalline reps, that one's coming down around our ears.

Nope chicken little, those would  be your own ears. 

Im curtain that the team will simply adjust to his style, to his running abilities, and simply adjust their short yardage package, that will make his ability to produce in the short yardage run game more productive. 

So come back of the ledge , you’ll be ok,. 

And your welcome for the help. 

Now go fantasize about JLH.mm  

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Chubb was like -15 yards inside the 5 still got 3 TDs last year. 

2 hours ago, joeshushu said:

Chubb was like -15 yards inside the 5 still got 3 TDs last year. 

He would have had to go forward on at least 3 of those runs then.  Clyde?  Zero.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Im curtain that the team will simply adjust to his style, to his running abilities, and simply adjust their short yardage package, that will make his ability to produce in the short yardage run game more productive.

Yeah, the Chiefs will probably change their entire playbook, fire the current offensive linemen, hire an entirely new offensive line that plays more to Clyde's strengths, and maybe even dump Mahomes for a QB who can hand the ball off to Clyde more effectively.

Or, they'll just give the ball to a more effective between-the-tackles runner in those situations.

Thank you for being the quintessence of density, we all really appreciate it.  You're awesome.  Come back.  Please.

I’ll give the kid a break in his first game vs a strong defensive front including one of the games best defenders. I was facing him last night and held my breath any time he touched the ball. If he doesn’t break that 20yd td I’d have felt much better. I still say it was bad coaching to let him run the last 2 drives and take those hits when up more than 2 scores. That’s what backups are for and he was getting stonewalled at the line.

Reid needs CEH to get into the endzone with a GL carry, I'm sure, to make other plays/players work out of his playbook. He just needs 1 GL rush TD from CEH to open up the TE shovel pass, WR screens, etc, so DEF have to respect the RB. When this happens you need to allocate 1 LB to watch CEH, this opens up the TE or slot. Otherwise you can just use your 4 down lineman to stop the run.

They will force this issue next game and if the same thing happens to CEH again, they will prolly change personal in their GL package.

JMHO

I would look for a new little wrinkle in their short yardage package to help solve the problem.  

One games doesn’t make a season. 

Good luck. 

On 9/9/2020 at 4:02 PM, AxeElf said:

I'm talking about DERRICK Henry of the Titans; you know, last year's rushing YARDAGE champion?  Sure, I love the 20 TD potential too, but c'mon, it's not his only asset.

In his last 9 games he averaged 26 touches, 156 yards, 1.3 TDs, and 25 fantasy points per game.  If he gains some receptions, great, but I'm not even counting on them.

Does anyone else here keep receipts for the elf? 

After 2 weeks Derrick Henry doesn’t even have 25 fantasy points.

He has 24 points in ppr and 21 in non ppr, I’m not sure what the point is after two games? 

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

After 2 weeks Derrick Henry doesn’t even have 25 fantasy points.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

He has 24 points in ppr and 21 in non ppr, I’m not sure what the point is after two games? 

Exactly.  I was citing his LAST 9 games of 2019.  These are just the FIRST 2 games of 2020.

He's always been a second-halfer.