Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Cam Akers, Rams

Draft Profile

The similarity to Le'Veon Bell in terms of his running style is almost uncanny. Akers runs a bit high in between the tackles and begins most of his runs with a bit of skip or hop behind the line of scrimmage before plowing through and doing a good job of picking up yards after contact. He never seems to get too much ahead of himself on many of his outside runs, making a spin move or juke to elude a potential tackle in the open field without losing much momentum.

But while Akers is certainly capable of becoming a feature back given the combination of his talent, size and elusiveness, it is going to take some time. It's fair to wonder if the Willie Taggart-led Florida State coaching staff was in over their head because while Akers doesn't have a long list of concerns, it is disappointing he is as lacking as he is in some of the most critical areas for a prospect at his position. He desperately needs his new position coach to work some magic if he is going to become a Bell clone.

What does it mean in redraft? Akers would have well-served to begin his career as the 1B option in the NFL. It should happen in LA, but the combination of Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson is not exactly daunting (even though Brown is a bit underrated and Henderson is highly explosive). As a result, Akers could easily emerge as the lead back before midseason. Owners should draft him as a high-upside RB4 - one capable of ascending to RB2 territory if he can take over as the featured back.

What does it mean for dynasty? Akers is a fine prospect, but it's worth wondering how long he needs to develop and how big his role will be if Henderson ends up becoming what the Rams envisioned last season. He will probably come off the board in rookie drafts around 1.05, but the case can be made for him to go as late as 1.08.

Wow this is a big blow to my Henderson ranking.  

Rookie RBs are always some of the most interesting fantasy prospects this time of year.

Some years there is a clear stud RB among the rookie, like Zeke, Fournette, or Barkley, but some seasons, there is no clear cut favorite. This year would be the latter.

Cam Akers is sure to be among the favorite rookie RBs. He's in a pretty good spot with the Rams, and has as good a chance as any of winning the starting gig, if not the favorite.

In redraft, he would be a good mid round pick, after the stud RBs and some of the hopefuls are taken. He has a good chance to be a sleeper.

In Dynasty, he'll be one of the top picks, and in some maybe the top pick. As a rookie, he may not be too consistent, but it's clear he has a lot of potential going forward.

While I agree that there may not be a clear cut RB, there is a clear cut situation.  Edwards-Helaire is clearly the #1 RB off the board as far as rookies go because of the offense and how he'll be used, and not necessarily because he's the best RB.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

While I agree that there may not be a clear cut RB, there is a clear cut situation.  Edwards-Helaire is clearly the #1 RB off the board as far as rookies go because of the offense and how he'll be used, and not necessarily because he's the best RB.

Yeah, he's probably the rookie RB that gets taken the highest more than the others. I'm not sure though he won't be in a committee with Damien Williams and it greatly diminishes his value this season. Andy Reid also has a reputation for not running the ball a whole lot. I don't know how valuable he will be this season but he should get the chance to be a stud RB once Damien Williams is out of the picture

He [Reid], won't need to run the ball a lot.  Kareem Hunt averaged just over 7 ppg from receiving numbers in his rookie season.  If Edwards-Helaire can get 12 carries a game at 4.5 ypc, that's another 5+ points.  Add a half TD per game, you're looking at 15+ ppg and that's with pedestrian numbers.  I don't think Damien Williams has done enough in his career or even last year, to warrant being handed the RB1 role in KC.  Last year, he had 2 big games, in the other 9 games, he averaged just under 2.9 ypc.  Going into a draft, I wouldn't consider Williams an obstacle when it comes to Helaire.

6 hours ago, polecatt said:

Rookie RBs are always some of the most interesting fantasy prospects this time of year.

Some years there is a clear stud RB among the rookie, like Zeke, Fournette, or Barkley, but some seasons, there is no clear cut favorite. This year would be the latter.

Cam Akers is sure to be among the favorite rookie RBs. He's in a pretty good spot with the Rams, and has as good a chance as any of winning the starting gig, if not the favorite.

In redraft, he would be a good mid round pick, after the stud RBs and some of the hopefuls are taken. He has a good chance to be a sleeper.

In Dynasty, he'll be one of the top picks, and in some maybe the top pick. As a rookie, he may not be too consistent, but it's clear he has a lot of potential going forward.

Think it’s going to be a tough situation if one drafts either of the Rams Rbs.  

I was really exciting about moving Henderson up my list but now.  

On 4/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, polecatt said:

Yeah, he's probably the rookie RB that gets taken the highest more than the others. I'm not sure though he won't be in a committee with Damien Williams and it greatly diminishes his value this season. Andy Reid also has a reputation for not running the ball a whole lot. I don't know how valuable he will be this season but he should get the chance to be a stud RB once Damien Williams is out of the picture

Anyone who doesn't draft CEH 1 overall is high.  That's the biggest no-brainer in the history of mankind.

17 hours ago, nobody said:

Anyone who doesn't draft CEH 1 overall is high.  That's the biggest no-brainer in the history of mankind.

Not even close. Taylor is no slouch, and there are years where there is 1 hands down first overall pick. I think this is closer to Fournette vs McCaffery. 

On 4/28/2020 at 12:45 PM, polecatt said:

Andy Reids running backs typically do amazing things for fantasy. Once Reid has his guy, he is pretty loyal to that back. I dont fear Damien because he basically lose the starting job at one point.

5 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Andy Reids running backs typically do amazing things for fantasy. Once Reid has his guy, he is pretty loyal to that back. I dont fear Damien because he basically lose the starting job at one point.

If he's the right guy, like Westbrook or McCoy, then yes. I think this guy will have a great chance to be that, but it's not a done deal just yet.