Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Jalen Hurts, Eagles

Height/Weight: 6' 1"/222
College: Oklahoma
NFL Comp: A poor man's Dak Prescott/Taysom Hill

It may not seem as though Hurts has led a blessed life in college football, but it's quite possible that he will have played with roughly 10 first- or second-round pass-catchers during his time at Alabama and Oklahoma when the dust settles on future draft classes. Hurts possesses a number of characteristics the league likes at the quarterback position nowadays, including above-average arm strength, above-average mobility and a compact build that should help him absorb punishment better than the typical college quarterback entering the league.

Perhaps the biggest concern regarding Hurts is that he is often at his best outside the design of the play, which tends to work a lot better on the playground than it does on the field. He is not a quarterback that will consistently throw quickly. The best part about Hurts, however, is that he is athletic enough that he could give his new team some Taysom Hill-like versatility while getting full-time instruction on how to manipulate coverage, learning the importance of speeding up his internal clock in the pocket, etc. It seems almost certain that will be the case in Philly with Carson Wentz locked into the starting job for years to come.

What does it mean in redraft? Outside of being the potential handcuff to Wentz, virtually nothing. He will almost certainly go undrafted in most 12-team leagues.

What does it mean for dynasty? Fifth quarterback off the board in rookie drafts. Owners can probably wait until the late third or sometime in the fourth round to grab him.

I don't see him being fantasy relevant unless Wentz gets injured, then he'll be one of the top waiver wire pick ups.

I think the Taysom Hill role people are assigning to him is a little overblown. While it's possible they put him in for a gadget play here and there, he's just a back up QB mostly.

Even if they do use him for some gadget plays, that's not going to be nearly enough to make him startable.

2 hours ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Hot add this week.  Not sure I'll get him.  Need potential behind Murray who concerns me.

That’s why you were supposed to pick him up 2 weeks ago lol

Doesn’t look like he’s interested in throwing to the Tight Ends based on the small sample size.  Hope I’m wrong. 

From a fantasy perspective, this move may help people because Hurts is likely going to get rushing points that Wentz wouldn't/won't.

From an NFL perspective, I think the Eagles owner made a bunch of mistakes, starting with signing off on drafting Hurts.  This team needed help in a lot of places and QB wasn't one of them... especially since they just gave their QB an extension 8+/- months prior.  He then, after the first 8 weeks of the season where the Eagles clearly have proven that their personnel and coaching decisions were not improving, did not fire everyone.  Now, he's allowing a coach (and GM), that he should be firing in 2 months, to bench said QB that they just extended just over a year ago.

1 hour ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Fire up N.O. DEF..

Considering Wentz leads the league in sacks and INT’s, I don’t think this switch will result in any more fantasy points for opposing defenses