Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Lynn Bowden, Raiders

Height/Weight: 5' 11"/204
College: Kentucky
NFL Comp: Antwaan Randle El

As the venerable 90s rapper Vanilla Ice once said, "If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it." Versatility is a big part of what is going to help get Bowden drafted and keep him in the league for a while. He played slot receiver up for about half of the season in 2019 before multiple injuries to his quarterbacks forced the former high school signal-caller to go back to the future. Kentucky's offense quickly became Bowden left, Bowden right and Bowden up the middle, but the end result was still fascinating: he nearly led the team in passing (second), rushing and receiving. (The guy also returned 71 kicks and nine punts in his career.) Bowden is quicker than he is fast, but that's not to say he doesn't have enough of both to succeed in the league. He figures to be considered as an offensive weapon in the NFL, most likely splitting time between the slot, running back and returner.

Bowden would have had a chance to become a starter in the league in the slot, but he figures to be more of a Swiss-army knife skill set right away with Hunter Renfrow manning the slot and Henry Ruggs-Tyrell Williams outside. It's also quite possible he gets drafted to be a change-of-pace running back. While his projected dual-threat role may not ever lead to anything significant in fantasy in the near future, he figures to be highly appreciated as a "roster saver" - capable at filling in at multiple positions at a high level.

What does it mean in redraft? As noted above, Renfrow's presence makes Bowden more of a luxury pick and a likely special teams contributor in Week 1. Chances are he'll remain on the wire in most leagues as long as the top three wideouts are healthy in Las Vegas.

What does it mean for dynasty? The Raiders' depth chart at receiver has improved a fair amount this weekend. It's conceivable Las Vegas plans on Bowden getting some reps as a change-of-pace back too, but not enough for owners to take him before the early part of the third round in rookie drafts.

Any Dolphin fan's got any thoughts on this kid? I need to make one more drop by draft day and it's looking like this kid. Unless anyone has some really good insight on him, or the team.

Admittingly, he wasn't on my radar this time last season. And I also didn't watch any Raider or Dolphin games. So all i have is a statline.

3 hours ago, Kopy said:

Any Dolphin fan's got any thoughts on this kid? I need to make one more drop by draft day and it's looking like this kid. Unless anyone has some really good insight on him, or the team.

Admittingly, he wasn't on my radar this time last season. And I also didn't watch any Raider or Dolphin games. So all i have is a statline.

No particular fan, but I would expect Bowden to make the roster, since Albert Wilson hasn't really been lighting things up.  That said, he won't be better than 4th in the WR pecking order, behind Parker, Fuller and Waddle--and that's the best-case scenario.

He's probably a pretty safe drop if you don't have anyone more irrelevant.

If I’m recalling right he had a productive waiver wire add week at the end of the year when the Phins were depleted at WR.

Watch list player

Don’t see any value with the Dolphins picking up M Brown and drafting Waddle and picking up Fuller.  

I would drop.  

He's way too far down on the depth chart to have any real significance. Albert Wilson being back just makes his role even muddier. He might finish the season with more reps in the backfield than actually split out wide as a WR. You have to think it's Parker, Fuller, Waddle, then Gesicki before Bowden gets any kind of meaningful targets/playing time.

2 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

He's way too far down on the depth chart to have any real significance. Albert Wilson being back just makes his role even muddier. He might finish the season with more reps in the backfield than actually split out wide as a WR. You have to think it's Parker, Fuller, Waddle, then Gesicki before Bowden gets any kind of meaningful targets/playing time.

Stop piling on now, it’s been said already. 

Thank you. 

Thanks guys. I had forgotten about them signing Brown at RB also.

22 hours ago, weepaws said:

Stop piling on now, it’s been said already. 

Thank you. 

I consider myself the residential Dolphins homer. Just thought I'd confirm, not piling on.