Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Saints in talks with Jameis Winston

ESPN Link

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston and the New Orleans Saints are discussing a deal, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Sunday. According to Yahoo Sports, a one-year contract is close to being finalized. By doing a one-year deal with the Saints, Winston would get to learn from coach Sean Payton, quarterback Drew Brees and others. He would fill the role that Teddy Bridgewater did for the team last season before he left for Carolina. With no other starting jobs available, it could be an ideal landing spot.

This may be an ideal landing spot for his growth as an NFL quarterback but his fantasy value takes a severe hit. Even in scoring systems that incorporate interceptions, Winston was a top 5 fantasy QB last season (5109-33-30; 250-1). Barring an injury to Drew Brees, Winston's fantasy value will take a nosedive if this deal goes through.

I think it’ll be a very good spot for him also. 

9 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Winston's fantasy value will take a nosedive if this deal goes through.

Considering he was a top 5 QB in Arians' system, I'd say his fantasy value already took a nosedive when he was released from the team.

He'll be a back up so, it's not really big fantasy news. If Brees goes down though and you need a fill in QB, he'll be a decent pick up.

Jameis can sling the ball and NO is a great passing team and system. Of course you'll have to live with the picks

I think it’s a very good move for Winston, and of Brees went down he should produce just fine, he was the number two ff Qb last season , wasn’t he. 

Now I think he’s going to a much better situation, a team with a run game. 

15 hours ago, polecatt said:

He'll be a back up so, it's not really big fantasy news. If Brees goes down though and you need a fill in QB, he'll be a decent pick up.

Jameis can sling the ball and NO is a great passing team and system. Of course you'll have to live with the picks

Agreed.  From a fantasy perspective, Winston will be productive.  But I'm a Bucs fan first and foremost, so Winston leading a team puts the W/L advantage in favor of the Saints' opponent, which is good for the Bucs.

59 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Deal is done.

Pretty good back up

Darn good spot for him.  

This is a GREAT spot for him.  Love having him in the division.  Gives the Bucs a better chance at 2 wins if he plays.  Taking down the enemy from the inside!