Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Does State Farm Sell Ego Insurance?

Jake Fromm may have a claim to file.

After the departure of Tom Brady and with only starter-apparent Jarrett Stidham and career journeyman Bryan Hoyer on their roster, I thought SURE that the QB-starved Patriots were going to draft Jake Fromm when he was still sitting there on the board for their 5th-round selection at #159 overall.

Instead, they drafted a Kicker.

Ouch.

Wasn't Stidham a 4th round pick last year?  I don't understand your stance on this.  Belichick drafted Brady in the 6th round, and he worked out ok.  He drafted Matt Cassel in the 7th round, and he worked out ok.  He drafted Garoppolo and Brissett, and they worked out ok.  Belichick is doing fine with QB's.  He took Stidham in the 4th last year and you think he has a bit ego for not taking a QB in 5th round this year?  Why do you think that a 5th round QB this year would be a better option than a 4th round QB last year?  I'm not saying it's going to work out, but whether it does or not, you won't know if he's wrong for many years to come.  Besides, even if he is wrong, he'll have a higher pick next year and can take a QB in the first round then.

35 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Wasn't Stidham a 4th round pick last year?  I don't understand your stance on this.  Belichick drafted Brady in the 6th round, and he worked out ok.  He drafted Matt Cassel in the 7th round, and he worked out ok.  He drafted Garoppolo and Brissett, and they worked out ok.  Belichick is doing fine with QB's.  He took Stidham in the 4th last year and you think he has a bit ego for not taking a QB in 5th round this year?  Why do you think that a 5th round QB this year would be a better option than a 4th round QB last year?  I'm not saying it's going to work out, but whether it does or not, you won't know if he's wrong for many years to come.  Besides, even if he is wrong, he'll have a higher pick next year and can take a QB in the first round then.

I'm not a big fan of defending AxeElf, but he may have been referring to Jake Fromm's ego being hurt because a kicker was drafted instead of him not questioning Belichick's decision.  Also, I think most of us know AxeElf specializes in EGO.  Some would say he's an expert on the topic.

1 hour ago, Beyond Chaos said:

I'm not a big fan of defending AxeElf, but he may have been referring to Jake Fromm's ego being hurt because a kicker was drafted instead of him...

Correct.

While Jake Fromm may not have been a 1st-round prospect, there weren't many analysts who thought he would still be on the board in the middle of the 5th round--and the Patriots are widely seen as one of the more QB-hungry teams around the league right now.  On top of it all, Jacob Eason--the QB who Jake Fromm usurped in Georgia--had just been drafted by the Colts a round earlier.  So yeah, I'm thinking Fromm was probly a little butt-hurt at that point.

Maybe @TBayXXXVII thinks Stidham is the next deep-draft miracle man like Tom Brady, but while Brady did indeed work out ok, I wouldn't say that Matt Cassel did (at least for the Patriots), outside of being a capable replacement for Brady one season.  The Chiefs tried him out after that, and he wasn't such a sensation--and he's been a career backup ever since.  Garoppolo and Brissett were 2nd and 3rd round picks, respectively.  Maybe Stidham works out and maybe he doesn't, but the Pats missed a golden opportunity to add a solid QB prospect who was falling in the draft in favor of a Kicker.

Even after Day 2 of the draft, Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio said that New England will bring in a third quarterback to compete at some point--but apparently they didn't think Jake was good enough to be considered for the competition.

15 hours ago, Beyond Chaos said:

I'm not a big fan of defending AxeElf, but he may have been referring to Jake Fromm's ego being hurt because a kicker was drafted instead of him not questioning Belichick's decision.  Also, I think most of us know AxeElf specializes in EGO.  Some would say he's an expert on the topic.

Fair enough.

ok, but Matt Cassel was not ok.  He sucked.