Alias Detective

What’s for dinner?

1 hour ago, NorthernVike said:

Doing chicken fried steak with cream gravy and fried eggs.  Breakfast, it's what's for dinner.  Tonight at least.  

What kind of steak did you use?  Was watching an old Alton Brown show over the weekend and he was talking about cube steak being used for chicken fried steaks, but that the cut was pretty much whatever they could find.  He got into the meat tenderizers with the spikes, so now I am looking at getting one (because that is what happens when you watch cooking shows).  

Will do some take out from a favorite for my birthday

52 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What kind of steak did you use?  Was watching an old Alton Brown show over the weekend and he was talking about cube steak being used for chicken fried steaks, but that the cut was pretty much whatever they could find.  He got into the meat tenderizers with the spikes, so now I am looking at getting one (because that is what happens when you watch cooking shows).  

I like using the tenderizer you speak of on sir loin for chicken fried steak.

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

He got into the meat tenderizers with the spikes, so now I am looking at getting one (because that is what happens when you watch cooking shows).  

You might want to check out the double sided mallet (one spiked, the other flat).  I use the flat much more often (for many chicken dishes).

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

You might want to check out the double sided mallet (one spiked, the other flat).  I use the flat much more often (for many chicken dishes).

I use a marble rolling pen!  Nice and heavy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I have one and use it all the time. I pound chicken breasts (will be doing so very shortly), pork chops and veal to tenderize and have more uniform thickness to get more consistent doneness.

However, Alton Brown described that mallet as more of a masher instead of a tenderizer, even on the bumpy side. That is where the 48 spike tenderizer comes in. It allows for breaking down of the fibers and also allows marinades to more effectively penetrate the meat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I have one and use it all the time. I pound chicken breasts (will be doing so very shortly), pork chops and veal to tenderize and have more uniform thickness to get more consistent doneness.

However, Alton Brown described that mallet as more of a masher instead of a tenderizer, even on the bumpy side. That is where the 48 spike tenderizer comes in. It allows for breaking down of the fibers and also allows marinades to more effectively penetrate the meat. 

Stab the meat to death with a fork. 

3 hours ago, Herbivore said:

made ribs in the oven last night.  cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, sugar, brown sugar dry rub.  2 hrs at 250 wrapped in foil.  then open up, Rays SweetnSpicy bbq sauce, back in at 350, resauced a few times.  Came out great.

Y'all need to start taking photos.

I've done ribs in the instapot then finish them off in the oven. It's not nearly as good as smoked but they still are really good.

36 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

We've got this tenderizer from Williams Sonoma; reversible for spikes or flat.  The spikes are pretty long.  Thing weighs like 5 lbs as well.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/reversible-meat-tenderizer/?catalogId=22&sku=6017792&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Cooks' Tools > Meat %26 Poultry Tools&cm_ite=6017792&gclid=CjwKCAjwkun1BRAIEiwA2mJRWfWMq0fQbQdloAxCSQ0WVBvLojl_L_I8hNnpWAYld5tONDwnd87eQBoC4CoQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

That looks like one of your wife's sex toys.  :o

24 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The handle end only.  :nono:

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Holyshit!  It does!  :o

:lol:

I made Jambalaya this afternoon.  Great recipe!  The first time I ever made it, I made it how he did.  I don't make it that way anymore... to expensive.  I just by the frozen shrimp and defrost it.  Also, I just buy the seafood stock instead of making it.  The frozen shrimp plus the seafood stock is like $20, but fresh shrimp and crabs to make the stock is like $60.

Leftover pulled pork from a bone-in butt roast with Greek seasoning.  Grilled zucchini. Cauliflower rice with chopped spinach and kale with mint seasoning (a little minty for my taste but still yummy).  :cheers:

Shrimp tacos

lime/dill crema

pico

guac

Smoking some wings. Two rubs. Grilling zucchini, squash, onion, pineapple.

mango pina coladas. 90 at 5p is unusual for us in May 

Just now, TommyGavin said:

Kielbasa’s and perogies 

Spaten Ale as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

Smoking some wings. Two rubs. Grilling zucchini, squash, onion, pineapple.

mango pina coladas. 90 at 5p is unusual for us in May 

Smoked some wings and sausage yesterday. Came out good and we ate them watching the golf.

Tonight, we did grilled chicken, corn on the cob and a garlic/feta butter bread.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Smoked some wings and sausage yesterday. Came out good and we ate them watching the golf.

Tonight, we did grilled chicken, corn on the cob and a garlic/feta butter bread.

Last night we bbq at a friend's place. He provided a marinated London broil. I made Mexican street corn, roasted red potatoes (tossed in duck fat, finished with an apple wood smoked salt), and a blueberry crisp.

Last night we bbq at a friend's place. He provided a marinated London broil. I made Mexican street corn, roasted red potatoes (tossed in duck fat, finished with an apple wood smoked salt), and a blueberry crisp.

Yeah I can’t hang with that, unless duck fat is bacon grease that is on the back of the stove top.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Yeah I can’t hang with that, unless duck fat is bacon grease that is on the back of the stove top.

I don't use it often. Mrs doesn't like duck. She's fine with potatoes/fries cooked in the duck fat though

Was going to do a burger night... too hot for a heavy meal.  Made a quick shrimp with wasabi cocktail sauce.

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

Was going to do a burger night... too hot for a heavy meal.  Made a quick shrimp with wasabi cocktail sauce.

Do tell

Ketchup 

chili sauce

mix a little wasabi powder with water.  Want it between a paste and watery.

lime juice

worechestershire

Ketchup 

chili sauce

mix a little wasabi powder with water.  Want it between a paste and watery.

lime juice

worechestershire

Traditional cocktail sauce uses something like a Heintz chili sauce, and Tabasco or crystal

i like a little sambal olek

13 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Traditional cocktail sauce uses something like a Heintz chili sauce, and Tabasco or crystal

i like a little sambal olek

I thought traditional had horseradish as well. That’s how I make it 

11 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I thought traditional had horseradish as well. That’s how I make it 

yes.  traditional cocktail sauce:

ketchup

chili sauce (heintz)

horseradish

lemon

Worcestershire

tobacco

i use wasabi, sambal, lime in their place.  used to sell a seafood cocktail with dungeness, rock shrimp, and prawns with the wasabi coctail sauce about 15-20 years ago. big seller.

I am going to grill or maybe even smoke pork tenderloin tomorrow. Any ideas?

29 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Grill it. A little balsamic based marinade. Pork tenderloin is pretty lean, so smoking (low and slow) is really not needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

grilling, searing roasting are the best methods for tenderloin...but you could get a little smoke on it then finish on the grill....

one of my favorite bbq marinades/glazes (i use on ribs, chicken, pork chops):

5 tbs white miso

2/3 C hoisin

1 1/2 tbs minced ginger

1 1/2 tbs minced garlic

1 1/2 tbs sake or mirin

1 1/2 tbs soy

2 tbs br sugar

1 tbs sambal oelek

• Like 1

Memorial Day, we grilled kabobs with the long skinny side cut we butchered from our whole tenderloin a few weeks back, marinated in oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, and garlic.  Also mushrooms marinated the same.  The meat was really yummy.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

grilling, searing roasting are the best methods for tenderloin...but you could get a little smoke on it then finish on the grill....

one of my favorite bbq marinades/glazes (i use on ribs, chicken, pork chops):

5 tbs white miso

2/3 C hoisin

1 1/2 tbs minced ginger

1 1/2 tbs minced garlic

1 1/2 tbs sake or mirin

1 1/2 tbs soy

2 tbs br sugar

1 tbs sambal oelek

:thumbsup:

I went with this, but I had to modify the recipe. Instead of garlic and ginger I just used garlic powder and ginger powder and instead of sambal oelek I used sirachi.

We always have garlic on-hand and this is probably the first time in years that we do not have it. The grocery store did not have any when i did the weekly shopping. Ginger, we do not keep on hand, because it goes bad surprisingly quick.

Despite my mother in law being born/raised in indonesia, we do not have any sambal oelek onhand. My wife only cooks a couple of Indonesian dishes as that ethnicity of food is just not as good as others in south or east asia. Thankfully my wife does not follow her mom's cooking, which is frankly not that good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I went with this, but I had to modify the recipe. Instead of garlic and ginger I just used garlic powder and ginger powder and instead of sambal oelek I used sirachi.

We always have garlic on-hand and this is probably the first time in years that we do not have it. The grocery store did not have any when i did the weekly shopping. Ginger, we do not keep on hand, because it goes bad surprisingly quick.

Despite my mother in law being born/raised in indonesia, we do not have any sambal oelek onhand. My wife only cooks a couple of Indonesian dishes as that ethnicity of food is just not as good as others in south or east asia. Thankfully my wife does not follow her mom's cooking, which is frankly not that good.

I'm surprised about your ginger comment; it seems like we have roots in our fridge for months and I've never heard my wife complain about it going bad.  :dunno:

36 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It should still be fine.  Better with the fresher ingredients, but sometimes we just have to use what is on hand.  sriracha tastes very good.  I prefer the taste of sambal, but it is more spicey, so I use less than I would with sriracha.

I find minced garlic and ginger and safeway and they seem to have a long shelflife.

32 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm surprised about your ginger comment; it seems like we have roots in our fridge for months and I've never heard my wife complain about it going bad.  :dunno:

I have never refrigerated ginger, since the grocery stores just has it out with the potatoes, onions, and other veggies that are usually kept at room temperature. At room temperature it lasts 1-2 weeks before it gets a white mold on it.

Next time I will try refrigerating it.

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have never refrigerated ginger, since the grocery stores just has it out with the potatoes, onions, and other veggies that are usually kept at room temperature. At room temperature it lasts 1-2 weeks before it gets a white mold on it.

Next time I will try refrigerating it.

it should store well for a while at room temp until you open it.  Then I would keep it in the fridge